converter help

-

zac_F71

Reaction score
Hey guys - about to get my motor/trans finished up here and have a question? I have a 71 383 HP engine (out of 71 Challenger), a 73 or so 727, and I bought a Hughes 3500 stall from a member on here.

I'm 90% sure the motor has a cast crank, as the rod journals have large holes on the sides of them (unlike a steel/forged crank that would be solid)

The converter has no balance weights so I would need to have it balanced for the cast crank right? I have a stock unweighted flex plate

This is the converter -
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hup-24-35/overview/

This is the motor

Here is my 67 383 2bbl engine note the balancer differences between the two motors..

71 HP 383

Looks forged to me, most cast cranks I've seen the counter weights are more squared and unfinished. The damper looks forged also. Easiest way I know to tell is to look at the parting lines on the rod journals, if they are thin it's cast, if they are wide it's forged. This is a 440 forged but if you look on the rod journal to the left on the end going towards the hole you see a wide line that was ground.

Here's a good info page for differences on dampers.

http://www.440source.com/dampers.htm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 259
The crank is the original to the motor..

So I should be ok with neutral balance flex plate/converter?

........a 71 2 barrel carb 383 would have a cast crank, but it doesn't take a weighted converter.......urs does look forged....kim........

........a 71 2 barrel carb 383 would have a cast crank, but it doesn't take a weighted converter.......urs does look forged....kim........
you have it mixed up and it's my fault - there are 2 different engines here for reference -

Orange 1971 383 HP 4bbl/ 440 head motor (the one I'm wondering if it has a internal or external balance) - can I use a neutral balance converter/flex plate on this motor

Greasy/blue 1967 383 2bbl/ small valve motor

Each engine has a different factory balancer but both cranks look identical

I an using the flex plate off the 67 motor on the 71 engine, connected to a Hughes 3500 stall - both the flex plate and the converter have no external weights that I see - yet Summit's info says it's balanced..

you have it mixed up and it's my fault - there are 2 different engines here for reference -

Orange 1971 383 HP 4bbl/ 440 head motor (the one I'm wondering if it has a internal or external balance) - can I use a neutral balance converter/flex plate on this motor

Greasy/blue 1967 383 2bbl/ small valve motor

Each engine has a different factory balancer but both cranks look identical

I an using the flex plate off the 67 motor on the 71 engine, connected to a Hughes 3500 stall - both the flex plate and the converter have no external weights that I see - yet Summit's info says it's balanced..

....No, I read it right, the orange engine u r working on has a forged crank, for reference the 71 383 2bbl engine was the first bb with a cast crank, they were the test mule for Chrysler...and thet did not use a weighted converter....the blue engine should be forged crank also but u never know in that in almost 50 years that it may have been swapped out, as my crystal ball is on the blink so I cant tell for sure whats in the 67 blue engine.......kim....

OK guys new problem -

I got the trans in, converter seated, headers and motor in, 4 bell housing bolts started, then go to check the converter from underneath - F me! the converter doesn't fit the flex plate - so spent 10 minutes taking the 4 bolts out (I spent 30 putting them in (LOL)

Got the motor back out sure enough the converter measures 11", and the flex plate 12".. so I come in to search for flex plates and all I'm seeing is plates for 11.125" bolt pattern and mine is 1" center to center..

:( very sad as I had the motor/trans in!

Don't get bummed out. Your only going to get better installing that trans. Believe me, I know!LOL.

Don't get bummed out. Your only going to get better installing that trans. Believe me, I know!LOL.

call hughs for the flex plate problem, he can steer you right w/ no second guessing. I have that convertor behind my 505" wedge, seems loose down low to me, haven`t got into it hard yet. was worried about the 5/16" bolts, everyone in the know said don`t worry about it. the hemi`s I had all had 3/8" bolts. jfyi----bob :coffee2:

I need loose in the low RPM's as I'm running 3.23's LOL - hopefully it fits, I'll file the holes til they do at this point though..

-
Back