Convertible Windshield Molding

-

jerkyboy

Reaction score
Is the windshield molding on the '68 convertible and hardtop the same? I am in need of the lower piece above the cowl.

no, not the same-- let me know if you find 1-- very illusive item to find-- I have a year one repo in my rafters-- never have seen the real deal, Lawrence

Is the windshield molding on the '68 convertible and hardtop the same? I am in need of the lower piece above the cowl.

Like VDART says, no, not the same. The YO part is the closest you can get these days. My Dart 'vert still had the original part on the car when I bought it...just the "chrome foil" had dissappeared from it. The original profile is different. The YO stuff looks pretty authentic when installed...only an expert will notice the difference. I have pics, but they're on my other 'puter.

What i am doing with my 69 vert, is using rear window clips and trim. The trim has to be shortened just a hair, but it will work.

So that's all I need is part #CM8, no clips or other pieces? All I currently have showing on the bottom of the window is the rubber gasket.

Here's a profile pic of both new and original lockstrips...new on left...

Hope this helps

Orig & YO-LSsml.JPG

no, not the same-- let me know if you find 1-- very illusive item to find-- I have a year one repo in my rafters-- never have seen the real deal, Lawrence

Are you looking to sell the repo that's sitting in the rafters? If so, PM me.

guys., I asked this ebay seller about his trim -- he states this is the original stainless piece for the bottom-- is it possible the 67 cars had stainless/ thanks Lawrence

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0451705661&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

andy -- soirry -- did n't read your post first--- i'm not far enough along on re-assembly to sell anything from my 69-- i have seen where you could use a hardtop gasket for the convert. i think i have a piece of stainless from the hardtops -- to modifiy for this bottom piece-- but once again i'm not close to that part yet, thanks Lawrence

Hardtops had the stainless trim...convertibles had the plastic-chrome lockstrip/reveal moulding. For a 'vert, this is what you want...

...and installed on my Dart....

Orig & YO-LSsml.JPG

VertL'StripInstalled (Small).jpg

that is what I thought -- but was not for sure---the molding on converts -- is what has been previously posted-- thanks

The original poster asked about the lower windshield molding for a 1968, not 1967.
The lower molding between hardtop and convertible for 68 & 69 IS the same EXCEPT the convert one is about 1-1/2" to 2" shorter. So, you can use a hardtop molding in this application if you trim some off the ends before you install it. Find dead center of the lower molding, and mark it with a piece of tape. Find the center of the cowl and mark it, too. Lay the molding on the car lining up your centering marks, and put your A pillar moldings on top of it so you have an idea where to trim it. Leave about 3/8" of molding on either end so it will tuck under the A pillar molding when installed. You can use the regular hardtop lower molding clips to retain the molding to ther car. Done.

George

My 67 Barracuda convertible has some frags of a chromed plastic lockstrip remaining. I have a piece of molded metal from a Dart, or something, that I was hoping to use with some clips, if I can find some that work out.

My 67 Barracuda convertible has some frags of a chromed plastic lockstrip remaining. I have a piece of molded metal from a Dart, or something, that I was hoping to use with some clips, if I can find some that work out.

Yall should be reminded that even if you use a stainless moulding you will need something in that gasket to keep it from moving and leaking.

1967 through 1969 a body convertible lower windshield lockstrip/reveal moulding is the same for all 3 years.
Are you sure about that Val? My 69 convertible Dart uses a solid stainless strip at the base of the windshield. I thought 67 used that plastic chrome looking lockstrip. The lockstrip on my car is "built into" the window gasket, just like the one that is on my 69 Dart hardtop car.
Please explain.

George

I guess someone has changed it. I dont know how to do that...never have done it, but, if the correct convertible w/s gasket is used, you must use the plastic stuff. The generic, off a roll stuff thats sold on ebay and such does not work.

Yall should be reminded that even if you use a stainless moulding you will need something in that gasket to keep it from moving and leaking.
Do you know if the clips for later years would serve that function, or is a strip necessary?

Do you know if the clips for later years would serve that function, or is a strip necessary?

I dont have a good answer for that. I know the aftermarket vendors sell clips that aren't even correct for the hardtops' windshield reveal mouldings.
I have the lower stainless piece from a hardtop that I plan to use on my vert with the original vert gasket
Will I need to alter the profile of the vert gasket ? Will I need to alter the heigth of the clips? Will I use something like coax cable to substatute the lock in the gasket ? I hope I will be able to answer these questions someday.

I dont have a good answer for that. I know the aftermarket vendors sell clips that aren't even correct for the hardtops' windshield reveal mouldings.
I have the lower stainless piece from a hardtop that I plan to use on my vert with the original vert gasket
Will I need to alter the profile of the vert gasket ? Will I need to alter the heigth of the clips? Will I use something like coax cable to substatute the lock in the gasket ? I hope I will be able to answer these questions someday.

RedFish
Here is a how to on doing the stainless strip. In this case the cheaper hardtop gasket was used in the vert.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=101941

-
Back