Converting a 63 Dart wagon to 4 speed

-

hemichuck

Reaction score
ive done a bunch of 4 speed swaps over the years but always on the 67 up vehicles. I’ve got this early clean Dart Wagon that I would like to convert to a V8 and a 4 Speed. Is the 63-66 a bolt in swap or is it more involved than that? I have a later 60’s 4 speed and all the parts but I know the early cars had a 9.5 clutch and bellhousing. I’m changing to an 8 3/4 so I’ll be using the slip yolk, not the ball and grunion.

ive done a bunch of 4 speed swaps over the years but always on the 67 up vehicles. I’ve got this early clean Dart Wagon that I would like to convert to a V8 and a 4 Speed. Is the 63-66 a bolt in swap or is it more involved than that? I have a later 60’s 4 speed and all the parts but I know the early cars had a 9.5 clutch and bellhousing. I’m changing to an 8 3/4 so I’ll be using the slip yolk, not the ball and grunion.
You can swat pretty easy. All you need for it is the tranny, linkage, cluth pedal arm and tje hump.

You can swat pretty easy. All you need for it is the tranny, linkage, cluth pedal arm and tje hump.
If it's a 63 you have to deal with the firewall issue to clearance for the distributor. Also the center steering link for the v8. Search this site. Great information for your swap.

I may still have some early A pedals, I'll look.

@Rainy Day Auto can help with details on this swap.
I have a 64 up firewall on the forum. It would be major surgery to install though. You would also need 64 and up wiper
assembly for the later model firewall swap. Pretty much every thing else would be from a 64-66 A body for a 6 to 8
swap. K members are the same. Engine mounts are different.

Go for a newer bell housing to accommodate a 10.5 clutch right from the get go. I see aluminum SB bell housings all the time for $100. Any A-body A833 1964 and newer will work. Though 64 and 65 (3.09) are ball and trunnion not slip joint.

I'm doing a swap right now and the hardest part to find for me was the floor hump. I came this close > < to going with a Brewer fiberglass 66 hump.

Last edited:
As K frame 67 and newer is best u can get factory race mount and 68 and newer use a idler arm that will keep u straight going down any street road . O hiway will keep tire down if u get anyone that can align these cars I have aligned 4 over 30 years any mopar is a *****. but I own I do. on 63 -66 buy after market mounts then weld together. had one I think of all these even 70 hemi b 1 AAR . rest darts big block and cudas.

can post proof 25 plus on alignments as 4 a bodys get newer u spend and hve 2 look so hard . point is cheep **** is out there and when u can get mopar

-
Back