converting a 71 ply. scamp to 70 dart

-

kenneth11

Reaction score
Im in the process of building a NHRA stock eliminator car and would like to know what parts i would need to change to convert my 1971 plymouth scamp into a 1970 dodge dart 340 swinger? besides the motor.

because im building a stocker and if i was to build the scamp it would be a 318 with a 2 barrel carb if i built the swinger it would be a 340 275hp car!

are the front fenders different? also iv seen the rear bumpers that have two lights in them and some that have 4! right now my car has the one with 4. was there an option for either 2 or 4 tail lights? and also would i have to change my dash? i see that the swinger came with the ralley dash. did any have the same one as the scamp?

-thanks for the help!

A 70 dart would have the bumper with two tail lights but so should your scamp unless someone changed it to a 71-72 dart bumper but to have the correct bumper for the 70 your gonna have to find a two light bumper. Also yes the fenders are different your gonna have to find 70-71 dart fenders for yours or 72 fenders and change the side marker light if it has to look exactly like a 70. For the front end swap your also gonna need a 70-72 front valance. Good luck Justin

Everything on the front clip is different except inner fenders and frame rails.(check out the post above, he's right on) The rear bumper is the same as a '70 dart, at least mine is, with the two rectangular lenses not four like a '71 dart. The guage cluster is like the '72 and up a bodies. I don't think anyone would say anything if you don't have the rallye cluster in it like the '70 darts had.
I'm thinking about doing the same changeover as you are to mine, just a street car though, not a stock eliminator car. Personally, I just never liked the look of a plymouth front clip on a dart body because the front wheel lips don't match the back and the rear bumper was still a dart piece. Dodge however pulled it off with the demons putting a dart front clip on a duster, how they pulled it off in my opinion is to change the taillight panel as well and give the car it's own stripes.:cheers:
Good luck on the build and post some pics and progress on the project as it comes together.

A 70 dart would have the bumper with two tail lights but so should your scamp unless someone changed it to a 71-72 dart bumper but to have the correct bumper for the 70 your gonna have to find a two light bumper. Also yes the fenders are different your gonna have to find 70-71 dart fenders for yours or 72 fenders and change the side marker light if it has to look exactly like a 70. For the front end swap your also gonna need a 70-72 front valance. Good luck Justin

Actually, a '71 Scamp rear bumper is the same as the '70 Dart, both are single light setup. The only difference I believe, would be the tail lights themselves. Slight difference in the backup light area, but totally interchangeable.

rightrear.jpg

jjr426, I just re-read your post. I thought you were saying the '71 Scamps had the two lights on each side. You were correct, 2 tail lights total. Sorry about that.

do you think that the 71 plymouth scamp dash will be legal? did any darts have the same dash?

seeing as rallye dashes never came in scamps to begin with you would need to find a complete dash w/ ralleye gauges and frame to use in the scamp. if you want a rallye dash in the scamp you will have to take the complete dash frame out you have now and basically start over with a rallye dash frame to make it work. then you will need to get the correct wireing harness to connect the new gauges in the dash. what you are talking about doing is all possible , but it is a major undertaking that is going to take a lot of time and money. it was said earlier that there are not many scamps out there and this is true. you would be a stand out in a crowd if you kept you car as a scamp, and miles ahead it time and money spent as well. add some scoops and drop a 340 in it and let it go!

Of course you can always do what you want, it's your car, but I think the Scamps are the best of both worlds. You get the Duster front clip with The Dart body. It makes a great combo and I'm surprised Plymouth never marketed them with a performance package.

goal.jpg

Of course you can always do what you want, it's your car, but I think the Scamps are the best of both worlds. You get the Duster front clip with The Dart body.

:thumblef:
They should have offered them with a 340 package!:angry7:

do you think that the 71 plymouth scamp dash will be legal? did any darts have the same dash?

A 340 Dart had a rallye dash. Scamps never came with them. I could not see NHRA getting that picky about it. Unless the tech guy is a mopar man they would never know the difference any way.

Good luck to you. Let us know how it turns out and how you do at the track with it. Go kick some :bootysha:!

i am so disappointed.....but hey it's your car you get to do what you want.

I really like all of your guy's cars. I think it is cool that you have the option to change things around and all of that. But I personally think that you should keep it a scamp. You just dont see that many of those compared to the other ones.

seeing as rallye dashes never came in scamps to begin with you would need to find a complete dash w/ ralleye gauges and frame to use in the scamp. if you want a rallye dash in the scamp you will have to take the complete dash frame out you have now and basically start over with a rallye dash frame to make it work. then you will need to get the correct wireing harness to connect the new gauges in the dash. what you are talking about doing is all possible , but it is a major undertaking that is going to take a lot of time and money. it was said earlier that there are not many scamps out there and this is true. you would be a stand out in a crowd if you kept you car as a scamp, and miles ahead it time and money spent as well. add some scoops and drop a 340 in it and let it go!

Actually I was looking at a rally dash and a scamp/'72 + dash and the plugs are the same, I believe that with a few position changes on the wires they would work. I know on Tara's dart the '71 engine harness and the '68 dart dash harness go together with only 3 wire changes.

keep it scamp...you never see them around...everyone knows a dart, but it takes a real mopar guy to know a scamp....you get the front of a duster and the *** of a dart...i love the fact that i have a scamp, its wickedly different...but if you gotta do what you gotta do, good luck..

73 Scamp. I did the conversion. I wanted the look of the Dart. You either like it or you don't.

Fred B

Dart 3 001.JPG

1167617821_car.jpg

1167956425_car.jpg

I just always thought if you really want a dart, then just buy one...its not like they are rare or something...same goes for anything...if you want a duster, dont convert a demon, just buy a duster...you just have to look...but thats just my opinion, to each his own =)

-
Back