Cooked the rear in my Dart!

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Of all things to go bad, the rear in my 84K mile slant 6 Dart has decided to become a cemet mixer. I drive the damn thing back & forth to work 6 miles in traffic most of the time! Last night it started grinding and holding back. I threw it up on the lift tonight at work and I dropped the driveshaft and spun the rear: it spins freely, then BANG.... binds up. Rotate the pinion backwards 1/4 turn and she's free for another 6-20 spins...than bang, she's tight.

Knowing how EVERYONE swaps out their 7 1/4's for 8 3/4's these things *should* be everywhere. Let's see how long it takes to find one locally....

It' always sumthin.... :-D

8-3/4 not that common only came with 340's or larger motors......you will pay approx $450 for one that needs complete rebuild just went thru this have fun....rear smoker lol

8-3/4 not that common only came with 340's or larger motors......

Not true. I parted out a 71 Valiant 4 door, slant 6 including disc brakes and an 8 & 3/4 with 3.23S.G. According to the build sheet it was a special order car with HD everything. Talked with the original owner who ordered it to tow a trailer but wanted slant economy when not towing.

8-3/4 not that common only came with 340's or larger motors......you will pay approx $450 for one that needs complete rebuild just went thru this have fun....rear smoker lol

I believe Fastback is looking to replace the 7 1/4 with another 7 1/4 is what he meant.

I think what FASTBACK340 was saying is... with all the people that swap their 7 1/4 rears out...does anybody have a 7 1/4 rear that he needs.

Wish You Were Closer, I Am Parting Out A 73 Duster With A 7 1/4 Complete Still In Car,would Give It To You Just For Pullin It And Shpg, Car Has 318 Auto Not Sure Of Gear Ratio Can Chk , If You Were Here You Could Just Pull It And Take It Home I Will Never Use It............joplin Mo 64804 To Nyc= Long Haul.......lol.........ken

John is looking for some one near NYC with a 7.25 rear.

Actually, I was just shocked to see the stocker go tits-up on me.... And yes, I want another 7 1/4, NOT an 8 3/4. No need to bring a gun to a knife fight.

If someone out here in the city has one laying around, PM me. I'm sure there has to be one out there.... :-D

But seriously, I'm thinking of selling the Dart. I want something with towing ability...and A/C. I definitely want to flog the `Cuda at the track and I need a tow vehicle. Maybe a Dakota pick-up with a small block or something similar.

Hey John, you might find it easier to get a 8-1/4.

4/5/09, Amity Mopar meet................

But seriously, I'm thinking of selling the Dart. I want something with towing ability...and A/C. I definitely want to flog the `Cuda at the track and I need a tow vehicle. Maybe a Dakota pick-up with a small block or something similar.

Stay away from the V6, what pig.

Ive got 3 or 4 good 7.25s you could have,an one of them for sure is perfect.Its still in my 71 dart im driving now,with brand new drums,shoes,wheel cylinders,and hardware that somebody installed before i bought the car.I just drove the car on a 300 plus mile trip and the rear seems perfect.Although its not gonna live long be hin my 300 plus hp 318 if i dont get the 8.75 swapped in soon,lol

Hey FASTBACK340,

I have a 7-1/4 in my 72 dart that I can part with. It's still in the car but 30 minutes with a wrench and she'll be out. I'm in Hauppauge NY (exit 58 on LIE). If ya need it let me know.

Scott

Nope your wrong The 8 3/4 also came in the A body slant six cars with stick shift.I got my 8 3/4 from a 70 dart with a six in it.Me and the junkyard had a bet he lost and sold me the rear fot 50.00 bucks.Oh it was a posi to.

-
Back