cool can fuel lines

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
i'm installing mr gasket cool can, was wondering does it matter where line from mechanical fuel pump goes, top or bottom of can. it is being installed directly above fuel pump, i was thinking bottom, just dont want to run into any unforeseen isuess!

Law of nature, cold goes down.If you start at the top it should be coldest at the bottom.Plus as the ice melts the top rings will be uncovered.Just a thought.

Mebbee, mebeee not. Ice floats, and it's colder'n water. Can you imagine if ice SANK? We'd have lakes all over this country with huge chunks' o' ice on the bottom half the summer.

Plus, many heat exchangers run the two mediums "opposite" that is the cooling liquid one direction and the liquid to be cooled the opposite. "Counter flow."

Here's an article

http://www.engineersedge.com/heat_exchanger/counter_flow.htm

ice floats because its 6% less dense than water. cooler water is denser still so its at the bottom.

actually you got it backwards, but I dont think it will matter one bit. inlet is always on top, discharge is at bottom. Cool!

My thought was a can full of ice without any water in the can.I guess I should have said when the ice turns back into water,and you are just left with water and no ice. Either way I'm glad it works to your satisfaction.

Getting fuel into the engine is not a problem;its getting enough air in.Air is always the problem.But I understand how the cool can works, and if you've reached a point in your program where the cool fuel can benefit you,thats cool.

I can tell you this much, dry ice is expensive and plain old ice works just fine. I had two see through fuel filters feeding my Holley double pumper which were always showing "half full". But after using ice in the cool can, the filters stayed full of gasoline. I imagine the air space I was seeing inside the filters before adding the ice was probably fuel vapor.

half the reason i installed the can was for the retro look, other reason was i did have some hot start issues on the way to a car show 120 kms. away. on the hot days i plan to throw ice in there, and if i ever make it to the track most definitely

-
Back