Cool find yesterday! '57 New Yorker

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Went to look at a side job yesterday, on the way home noticed some familiar tail lights under a tarp. Circled around to see it again. Yep, '57 New Yorker. Knocked on the door, no answer. Was about to leave when the door cracked open and an older gentleman opened the door, "Can I help you?"
"Oh, I just wanted to take a look at the New Yorker you have around the corner. I don't want to bother you, I don't want to buy it, I just want to take a look. I really like those old Chryslers."
"Yeah.. I don't know.. I'm pretty private.."
"OK, no worries, like I said, I love those old cars. I have a Dart, a Barracuda, and some old Fargo's. Thanks anyways though."
"Did you say Fargo's??? I love those trucks! Well, I've owned that car since 1961, I was 19. I bought it because it had the 392 Hemi in it. I pulled the Hemi out and put it in my DeSoto race car, then put a 354 Poly back in the New Yorker and pulled my race car around with it. It's a convertible you know. I need a pair of front fenders. I want to restore it, but you know with my age every day is important. I haven't really thought of selling it but I'm considering it now. Give me your name and number."

That was one hell of a car in its day. A fully loaded '57 New Yorker convertible, 392 Hemi. He wouldn't let up on how nice it rode.

I'm not much of a ragtop guy, but if it becomes available I'd be all over it, mostly to fund a hardtop project of the same era. It would be nice to see it out from where it's sitting.

Attachments

• IMG_20151104_123558.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_20151104_123606.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_20151104_123613.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 389
  • 15526_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 405
He isn't doing himself or the car any favor leaving it on the dirt. Moisture has a way of elevating up and ruining a car like that. Sounds like he's a hard core Mopar guy from back in the day.

The older I've gotten, the more I appreciate the Mopars from this era. I think that car looks awesome.

He isn't doing himself or the car any favor leaving it on the dirt. Moisture has a way of elevating up and ruining a car like that. Sounds like he's a hard core Mopar guy from back in the day.

He and I both agreed. He lives about 3 min from the ocean too, so that's not helping either.

Man, I don't know where you find this stuff, but aint it great living up here on the banana belt there is still cool stuff every where!, I am going to Cuba in a two weeks and can hardly wait to see all the cool old stuff running around down there, nice find Mike!

Cool car......
It would be great if it was saved and enjoyed again.

Sweet car, the old guy must really like it to keep it for 54 years.
He has good taste in cars.

Nice find. Keep in touch with the old dude without being a bother. You never know.

Great story! Loved the part about him putting the hemi in his race car. Congrats on the friend and the find.

-
Back