coolant in oil

-

jeffs360duster

Reaction score
hey i just found out that i am getting coolant in my oil now there is no white smoke coming from the exaust so were else could it come from. i put new intake gaskets on befor i put the moter in so i dont think that could be it.

so if anyone has a clue that could help that would be great

thank jeff

It might be a blown head gasket. You may be able to see if that`s the problem if you do a compression check. A lot of the small blocks have issues with the timing cover water passages corroding too. That may be the problem as well.

well i took the heads off i am going to put new gaskets on, i thought that the timing cover gasket cold gho bad so that is next

It could be is the timing cover housing. The water passages that go through it get corroded & it will leak there also. That happened to my Duster once. I changed the head gaskets & they didn't look bad when I changed them. Ran it for a day & it was full of water again. Was gonna pull the heads again when my friends dad that worked at dodge in the late 60's & early 70's said to pull the timing cover & sure enough it had pits in the coolant passages.

While you have the heads off,clean the block and head surfaces real good and make sure they're flat/square and use GOOD gasket the cheap ones are cheap for a reason...

Yank the water pump off again. Put your finger in the holes in that timing cover and feel around. If it is pitted or corroded get a light and look in there REAL good. If the holes show signs of distortion you should pull it off. With it off it should be pretty clear if that is your leak. Your probably gonna have holes through the walls of those passages. If so, replace the timing cover. If you can afford it and don't know when the last time the Gears & Chain where replaced. Now would be a good time!

When you get the new cover it might have the timing marks on the other side. (90 Degrees out) So then you must PRECISELY mark @ 90degrees of on your Harmonic Balancer. Be sure you are doing it the right way or they you will be 180 off which is as far off as you can be and will never work.

If the Head Gaskets are good and the timing cover doesn't leak... You have some Cracked Iron and you're looking at a new motor pal. Hope that ain't the case Jeff. But there you go and make her happy!

Glad to see another West Coast Guy on here. What's the motor? What's it in?

try pressure testing first pull spark plugs out, if its a head gasket when you crank it over water will come out of that hole or holes .

I would take the head's down and have pressure checked...and make sure they are flat...it may have a hair line crack in head that you can;t see...you should have put all cylinders on TDC and pressurized cylinder first w/ shop air to see if coolant bubbles in rad.....that would have narrowed it down,,,sounds like you are guessing....

yea i should have done that but i was pissed off that it had happened so i took the heads off, but it was a good thing because the gaskets were pretty bad and the valve guide seals are bad so i just as well replace all the gaskets that was they are new

-
Back