Coolant options

-
Original question: 100% water “cools” the best. In other words it takes the most heat out of the engine.

Then the questions are:
A)Is there enough coolant flow to remove the heat the engine produces?
B) Is the coolant rejecting enough heat to the air?

This gets difficult to sort out because the change in temp of the coolant from radiator in to radiator out is usually under ten degrees F so we’re looking st pretty small changes in coolant temp.

I think you suspect your problem is question B and that makes sense to me. Then the issues are radiator size and adequate airflow. And I would try to improve airflow.

Original question: 100% water “cools” the best. In other words it takes the most heat out of the engine.

Then the questions are:
A)Is there enough coolant flow to remove the heat the engine produces?
B) Is the coolant rejecting enough heat to the air?

This gets difficult to sort out because the change in temp of the coolant from radiator in to radiator out is usually under ten degrees F so we’re looking st pretty small changes in coolant temp.

I think you suspect your problem is question B and that makes sense to me. Then the issues are radiator size and adequate airflow. And I would try to improve airflow.

The problem with water is its low boiling point. There are localized hot spots that are well over average coolant temp which is what the gauge reads. There is never a reason to run straight water.

The problem with water is its low boiling point. There are localized hot spots that are well over average coolant temp which is what the gauge reads. There is never a reason to run straight water.

No one mentioned that anew engine usually will run hotter till its broke in. That thin shroud wouldn`t flow enough air for me, had to ditch it.
It looks like u need to seal the shroud to the radiator too, looks like a lot of gap for the fans to pull air in , instead of thru the rad. I have new jaguar clutch fan , like the one shown, setting on the bench, it`s only 2 5/8" thick , if interested

How is it more convenient that a gallon of 100%? You can get water anywhere.
Tap water contains too many minerals that will collect in the system, distilled water is what you need to use, all the minerals are removed

Distilled? I only have that around a couple times a year and its for drinking so it doesn't last long.

Really? It's sold literally everywhere around here. Every grocery store, Wally World, most all the dollar stores and convenient stores......I'd use any water in a pinch though.

Really? It's sold literally everywhere around here. Every grocery store, Wally World, most all the dollar stores and convenient stores......I'd use any water in a pinch though.

Easy access yes, just most people don't keep it around the house.

I'd use any water in a pinch too, or in my daily.

I've had to sacrifice my Gatorade to salvage a dirt bike ride. Buddies POS junk as pig didn't overheat on Gatorade either. At least he made it out of the woods on his own.
and you can get in all the same colors :thumbsup:

I have 7 gallons of distilled water sitting on a shelf in my garage just for mixing with antifreeze. It's less than $1.00 a gallon at wally world. I always hang on to an empty water jug as well, makes it easy to mix 50/50 with a gallon of concentrate.

The universal long-life sounds like a good idea, just to not have to flush the system every 2 years I might try that next time.

The type of coolant/antifreeze you run won't make any difference in how the engine cools. Ratio of mix with water, yes, but if you're overheating switching the type of coolant won't do jack.

That's mainly what the Water Wetter products are for. Reduces the surface tension (I think?) so there is less localized boiling. Some think it's a replacement for antifreeze, definitely NOT it has no anti-corrosion or freezing protection at all.

What is the name of the coolant that is supposed to run cooler. I'm thinking about trying it. Thanks, rod
Snake oil
I have some ocean front property in AZ for sale if you want to spend some $money.

-
Back