Coolant recovery tank on fender

-
A look at that design explains the need for aftermarket reproductions. I'll assume these were very easily and often broken in their intended location. The aftermarket is never loaded with parts that there is no frequent call for.

Also the gennie hyundai bottle is a 2 piece design with a glue joint in the middle. Keeping in mind that these sit in the front and if i assume correctly these cars fold easily in a front end impact, there would be a need for aftermarket replacement ones.

I stand by my original assessment in making the bracket fit better to the existing slots in the bottle and possibly supporting it with a clamp type arrangement at the neck to make it more stable from vibration.

Last edited:
Ok i looked at the bottle mount bracket better, and trimmed approx 1/4" from the sides of the mount bracket so the aftermarket bottle will slide down and lock in. After that it slipped right in place on the bracket. There was not any unusual amount of pressure against the bottle mount or the bracket that would cause it to have a massive failure like what was shown in post #47

Look at below pix. The top pic has marks with a sharpie where i will trim the angle back, second pic shows bracket remounted after bracket is trimmed back. Slid right in easily no problem after that, and fits just fine for me.

20161111_154418.jpg

20161111_154750.jpg

Last edited:
I also installed 1/4-20" riv nuts for the mounting bracket. I wet installed these with JB weld to help seal them to the framerail , and help lock them in place. I made my own riv nut puller out of some hardware i got from lowes, and a small needle bearing plate, and drilled and moved my horn over 1/4" to the right

20161111_144731.jpg

20161111_151421.jpg

20161111_153144.jpg

20161111_163850.jpg

20161111_163921.jpg

20161111_163903.jpg

hard to see but found this in a wrecking yard and put it on a car i sold.Even had a mounting bracket that the bottle snaps on to.As stated earlier make sure you can see through it to monitor your cooling system...never mind the jewelry.
you can buy the whole system new ...2003 Hyundai Tiburon,it is a perfect fit.

View attachment 1714967412
Thank you for the info. Inexpensive and it fits perfectly.
100_0253.JPG

I modded the mockup of my install a bit. Asthetics are everything with me. The bottle sat too low for my tastes. I added a riser made from 1" steel square tubing riser under the mounting bracket to raise the overflow bottle up, and have the drain tubing run straight from the radiator neck to the overflow. Now i have to sink in another rivnut into my framerail, but no biggie, i feel better about how it all looks now.

20161123_173049.jpg

20161123_173055.jpg

20161123_173104.jpg

20161123_173119.jpg

Mine keep spitting fluid out of the top. Anyone else have the same issue? My thoughts are it just might be too small of a tank for the system so it's not forgiving. It seems to level-out near the empty line...

Update on that coolant recovery tank. When I bought it the first thing I thought of was "wow, that's small". It's for a car with a much smaller coolant capacity system. I mounted it anyway because I hated the look of my rigged-up cheap one I got at the autoparts store. It's been a disappointment sadly. The tank levels out below the E line for me. I've refilled it several times to different levels. What happens is after driving it it fills up then spits out into the engine bay and onto the ground after shutoff, since it doesn't have a drain hose (just a notch in the cap). I've cleaned up the mess several times. No matter what it always levels back down to below the E mark and sits there, even though the hose in the bottle goes below that level. Must be due to the size and needing that capacity to fill/release during driving, or the sloshing around, not sure.

My old recovery tank didn't do this at all. it was about 3-4 times the capacity and also had a drain hose so it didn't make a mess. I put the old unsightly tank back on last weekend and drove the car several times since then. No coolant issues.

The quest continues to find a decent looking coolant recovery tank WITH a drain hose...

Hindsight 20/20 I wish I used more logic before moving forward with that tank. That tank is just so small it has no actual use other than aesthetics, or for a racing car that's required to have one. It's in the same ballpark as just running a drain hose with no recovery tank.

Did you say you're filling it to different levels?
...is there coolant in the tank when your engine is cold?

Did you say you're filling it to different levels?
...is there coolant in the tank when your engine is cold?
After filling it, a few times of driving it the coolant level settles down below the empty line. That's the level it settles at when the engine is cold. Doesn't matter if I fill it to the top, half way, full line, eventually it levels out below the empty line after just a few times of driving.

That coolant goes missing all over that side of the engine bay and onto the ground.

With my much larger size coolant recovery tank none of this occurs.

so you start with an empty overflow tank and it fills it until it overflows?
does it overflow when driving or when you shut it off?

so you start with an empty overflow tank and it fills it until it overflows?
does it overflow when driving or when you shut it off?
The last test I did was I filled the overflow tank to between the F and E marks. This was after several times of this happening. I drove the car, parked it, checked, and now the water level was at the F line. I drove a distance so I have no idea if any spit out into the engine bay during that time.

The next day I drove it, parked it, big puddle of coolant under the car when I went to get something out of the trunk. The level was below E. The same level it always likes to settle at.

why are you adding coolant to the overflow tank?
...shouldn't it be empty until the need arises to capture the excess
when you shut your engine off?

Not exactly what you are after but my cheap overflow tank for the race track.

IMG_2550.JPG

Thanks again for the part number for the bracket. I got 2 at delray hyundai in florida for $4.00 and change each, plus shipping. Total was $12.32 to my doorstep.

With shipping on these brackets and the bottles, it comes to about $14 per bottle and bracket assembly brand new. Not bad for a part that fits like it was made for this application.
I know this is an old post but I remembered this morning that you’d found an oem reservoir that fit good. Found this post about the shipping from delray Hyundai, checked it out and it’s still the cheapest place I could find for shipping on the bracket. $10 shipped. Thanks Matt!

-
Back