Cooling System Additive

-

RPMagoo

Just An Old Motorhead
Reaction score
My 408 runs on the hot side, and I plan to run just water, plus an additive, for proper WP lube, and radiator protection, during the summer months. -- What additive do You guys use, with water --
icon5.gif
--

I use an additive. I believe its called water wetter or be cool something.

Considering your investment in the motor, you may want to buy a proper radiator. I ordered mine form US Radiator, told them the power output and they built me an stock looking 22" , 4-row radiator. I don't even have a shroud, because no one makes one for my magnum conversion, but it never gets hot. The cost was reasonable, and it's not an ugly aluminum Chevy-looking radiator either.

I use water wetter in my 408. I went to a Champion aluminum radiator and dual electric fans and still it runs 220 or so on hot days and in traffic. I have decided that that is where it's going to run and I'm okay with that.

I'm TELLIN ya. This is the SIMPLE answer, although it may prove difficult to fix.

ADDITIONAL PRODUCTS I don't care the brand, type, or purpose, are NOT going to have a significant effect on cooling. You need to figure out what is wrong with the cooling system and FIX it.

I'm TELLIN ya. This is the SIMPLE answer, although it may prove difficult to fix.

ADDITIONAL PRODUCTS I don't care the brand, type, or purpose, are NOT going to have a significant effect on cooling. You need to figure out what is wrong with the cooling system and FIX it.

I agree.
I use a qt of antifreeze for corrosion and pump lube. Car sees a lot of strip time and if I ever blow a hose I don't want to be the person that ruined the track prep for the day.

I just wanted to add that straight water runs hotter. You aren't adding antifreeze, you are adding coolant and lubricants. Lubricants reduce friction, so I understand you wanting to add them, but I would recommend a 50/50 mix of water and coolant to optimize your cooling.

anyone use Evans waterless engine coolant?
I've only heard good things about it

There are a few here that run Evans waterless.
The one big one for me is that it doesn't expand like regular coolants and the boiling point of it is REAL high.
From what I have seen an engine running it could get so hot it wouldn't even run but still would not boil over.

The one thing that has kept me from running evans is all the water has to be evacuated. When I looked at it a few years ago the only way to do that was to take it to a "Evans Approved Installation Center" or remove the freeze plugs. If its gotten easy to install I'm all ears.

-- anyone use Evans waterless engine coolant?
I've only heard good things about it --
-- It was in My Valiant, when I bought It. Apparently it was there to mask a external head gasket leak. - Because the car ran hot, I guess for several reasons, I pulled it out. After that the leak became major, BUT the temp went down. -- I've since heard from several guys that it (Evans) causes higher operating temps, in spite of their ads. -- See info at -- www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm --- For me. I do not want to get fooled into ruining My motor, because the coolant didn't boil until 375 degrees. -- Hot Is Hot regardless of boiling point.

I just wanted to add that straight water runs hotter. You aren't adding antifreeze, you are adding coolant and lubricants. Lubricants reduce friction, so I understand you wanting to add them, but I would recommend a 50/50 mix of water and coolant to optimize your cooling.

Also, you are going to want to add antifreeze to it in the winter, right? Unless your car lives in a climate controlled garage, you really want antifreeze in there! Nothing like a frozen, cracked block to really ruin your day.

Royal Purple Ice is great for reducing water surface tension, so there are no air pockets that form. It helps with corrosion and foaming also.

ADDITIONAL PRODUCTS I don't care the brand, type, or purpose, are NOT going to have a significant effect on cooling.

i agree but here is a formula from an old S. Dulcich post that may work.

1. Collect as many snakes as possible..black,garden,green...no matter
2. Boil in a large pot until contents are rendered to a thin oil
3. Add to radiator

ADDITIONAL PRODUCTS I don't care the brand, type, or purpose, are NOT going to have a significant effect on cooling.

I have to disagree with this. I have used Justice Bros for several years in cars and bikes, and their cooler product does make a difference. In the summer I run the cooler and distilled water, winter time I run 30/70 coolant with the JB cooler. My question to the OP is are you running a "proper" fan shroud that fits the fan with correct gap/depth?

https://www.justicebrothers.com/products_carcare_radiator_additives.htm

anyone use Evans waterless engine coolant?
I've only heard good things about it
It is more viscous, that is to say, thicker than a water/anti-freeze mix so the engine runs hotter. In the case I tried, about 220 deg. below the thermostat. Changing to regular G05 50/50 mix dropped the temperature below the thermostat to the proper 195 deg.

Heat transfer with anti-freeze 50/50 mix is better than straight water.

I don't know the heat transfer properties of snake oil. I don't use it.

Heat transfer with anti-freeze 50/50 mix is better than straight water.

I don't know the heat transfer properties of snake oil. I don't use it.

This is flat out not true. At 50/50, the heat transfer capabilities are reduced by approximately 20-25% compared to straight distilled water. Any of the various surfacant products are going to increase the wetting effect of water, and further increase that margin. A simple internet search will find numerous sources that state this.

-
Back