Core support question

-

RogerRamRod

The Older I Get, The Faster I Was
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 1968 dart.
How high does your radiator cap sit higher than your core support?
I have a griffin aluminum supposedly perfect fit radiator, but it seems like it sits kind of high. My hood is still buried in the shed and I’m not really ready to install it yet. I realize that the real answer is probably to put the hood on and close it and check for clearance.
Without the cap on it, just the filler neck alone sits a fat 1-3/4 inch higher than my core support.
I’m not really fond of the idea of cutting the core support and lowering it a little, since I already have a US car tool support welded to the bottom of the original, not to mention they are painted.
I guess though, if that turns out to be the answer, well then that turns out to be the answer.
F12CA7AF-987D-4F74-935A-B4FDB1B635A1.jpeg

The Griffin radiator in my 70 Dart clears fine. You should be OK. I can't post pictures, format issue, but PM me and I will send you a reference picture I just took.

Last edited:
Could you just redrill the mounting holes and slide the rad down 2 Inches? Or is there a plate on the bottom....

I have 1-9/16" from the top of the cap to the core support on my 69 with a Cold Case radiator. Clears just fine. The hood brace there raises up to the skin 2-3/4" or so.

FYI my cap is flat, not the kind with the flip up lever for pressure release.

I HAVE THE SAME SET UP AND IT JUST CLEARS! May have to pick a low profile cap. i bought one with a chrome cover and it touched.

1.25"

Stock radiator 67 dart, 273 2bbl

I did not check if the level was level.

PXL_20220204_233756292.jpg

PXL_20220204_233802578.jpg

This is how much space there is between the hood and the top of the road cap.

Minimum is 1.25 longest it 1.5"

And yes that is blue Play-Doh
16440280791663406280520076730744.jpg

I have a griffin aluminum supposedly perfect fit radiator

Is there a reason you could not lower the rad on the core support?

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies so far. As it is sitting right now, the radiator is setting right on the core support, not even with the rubber pads. It don’t go no lower.

Thank You @Dana67Dart I appreciate the time to take & post photos. I try to do the same when I find something I can actually answer that also hasn’t been covered in enough detail already.

-
Back