Corvette six pack mechanical carb set up on a Chrysler six pack intake...anybody done it?

-
.....but the DC units are so rare and ultra-expensive when you can actually find one..........
Lol, I wonder how fast these flew out the door...........
SOLD - $700 Direct connection carbs six pack 440

Corvette six pack mechanical carb set up on a chrysler six pack intake...anybody done it?

Not in love with Chrysler's vacuum carb setup and wanted to go mechanical for small block Drag Car, but the DC units are so rare and ultra-expensive when you can actually find one.
Noticed that Chevy's Corvette Carbs have the same 2300 bolt pattern, so they would bolt up. And since they are mechanical, may be a better option. One set up has less CFM, but another is identical with 350cfm on the center and 500 on the outboards, just as Chrysler.
Finding the linkage may be tuff, but I can probably fabricate it based on photos.

Wondering if anybody here in FABOland has used the corvette setup on a Mopar and what were the plus or minus factors.
Going In-Depth With Holley's Tri-Power 3x2 Intake And Carburetor Set

View attachment 1716039751

Hey monsta , long time no see/''hear" , but I had a friend that had a grungy old 68 charger with a 440 , that he put 3 500 cfm carbs on , the car looked like junk , but I tore new trans am up in it one night when I had borrowed , "because my new ford pick up quit'' me with 11,000 mi on it ...

Found NEW replacements for 4412s on ebay for $215, if you buy three. You'd still need bowls and linkage. (I have a manifold....)
Chinese are now ripping off the 4412s.
Little wonder with the ridiculous Holley prices.

Hey monsta , long time no see/''hear" , but I had a friend that had a grungy old 68 charger with a 440 , that he put 3 500 cfm carbs on , the car looked like junk , but I tore new trans am up in it one night when I had borrowed , "because my new ford pick up quit'' me with 11,000 mi on it ...
Wow, 3 500cfms. Now you got me thinking, FB.
Still got your Cuda?

Tri power 348/360 hp in a 58 Impala
NOT a SMALL BLOCK. No small block chevy tripower/Sixpack from chevy, stock, ever.
The W-block 348 used three Rochesters, just like Olds, Pontiac, and Cadillac. The big block vettes used vacuum holleys.
Buick was actually the first GM product to use multiple (more than one) carbs, even before the 53 corvette. But they used two, two barrels in '41, on the Century. (So called cause it could reach 100mph)

Last edited:
Wow, 3 500cfms. Now you got me thinking, FB.
Still got your Cuda?
I had a guy make me a 500cfm center carb for one of my DC set-ups. I never put it on the car, so there it sits in brand new condition with all 3 carbs with the same throttle plates. You can't really tell any difference from looking at them from the outside either.

The DC aftermarket carbs were developed by holley and ford for fords 351 nascar program. they flow more than the original 6 pack mopar or chevy carbs. about 1050 to 1100 cfm.

I had a guy make me a 500cfm center carb for one of my DC set-ups. I never put it on the car, so there it sits in brand new condition with all 3 carbs with the same throttle plates. You can't really tell any difference from looking at them from the outside either.

I built a 500 (4412) center with my mechanical 4783 outboards. Worked well. Ran high 10’s on full street trim. I spent a lot of time on this set up. It was pretty killer. I added idle circuits to the outboards and adjustable air bleeds as well.

76CB5084-1FD9-437C-9E1B-5FB16BB764F8.jpeg

The DC aftermarket carbs were developed by holley and ford for fords 351 nascar program. they flow more than the original 6 pack mopar or chevy carbs. about 1050 to 1100 cfm.

Outboards by themselves are 1 (850) 1.56 Venturi carb. And we know those were more like 900cfm

I built a 500 (4412) center with my mechanical 4783 outboards. Worked well. Ran high 10’s on full street trim. I spent a lot of time on this set up. It was pretty killer. I added idle circuits to the outboards and adjustable air bleeds as well.

View attachment 1716040383
Where did this trio end up? You don't still have them do you?

Though I've never tried them on a small-block, the old Direct Connection 4782/4783 carburetors are the cat's knees on a big block. I think everyone with whom I've spoken who's run both prefers the mechanical setup. I bought mine when a roommate had factory A12 carbs on his 440 Charger R/T. After considerable tuning he still could not make it run as well as my DC carbs did box-stock (neither engine was stock). It drove him nuts, especially since I paid $225 for intake, carbs, and a "Mr. Norm's" (aftermarket SB Ford) air cleaner.
However, as @33IMP has stated, ain't no way a carb with both a center-hung float bowl and a metering block will fit on a factory intake. That was the first thing I attempted with mine. When Holley came out with the new carbs shown in Post #1, I contacted that former roommate (who now works at Summit) about getting measurements. "I already looked. Not happening." I've since found another set of the DC carbs.
While simply using side-hung float bowls seems an easy solution, try and find one for a 2-barrel. To my knowledge, the only Holleys that ever used the required float bowl(s) are the 4782 and 4783, and that was N/S in Holley catalogs decades ago. Everything else with side-hung floats and a straight outlet used a transfer tube. After looking for a few years, I'm to the point of finding a vintage 1850 front bowl for my spare 4782 and figuring out the best way to block the transfer-tube provision. Hokey, but effective.

One of the interesting things in the b-bodies thread I mentioned (post#4) is the guy trying to use three corvette carbs (holley reman, sourced on ebay) was that he found (apparently in stock, where I don't know) a "replacement bowl kit", part#134-101S side hung 2300 bowl.
I have no idea if these are available, this is from a April 2020 post.

EDIT! I looked em up at summit, ordinary 4160 bowls. Oh well........

Last edited:
The 134-101S has the transfer-tube provision so it's essentially a glorified 1850 bowl. The only one I've found that doesn't have the tube provision is Holley #34R10935AQ, the angled inlet of which would make plumbing the fuel lines tricky. Also, it was expensive... before it was discontinued.

One of the interesting things in the b-bodies thread I mentioned (post#4) is the guy trying to use three corvette carbs (holley reman, sourced on ebay) was that he found (apparently in stock, where I don't know) a "replacement bowl kit", part#134-101S side hung 2300 bowl.
I have no idea if these are available, this is from a April 2020 post.

EDIT! I looked em up at summit, ordinary 4160 bowls. Oh well........
Wow ordinary 4160 Bowls perfect for 2300...just what I was looking for.
It's not ez to even find the correct fuel bowls to hang for side exit.

Though I've never tried them on a small-block, the old Direct Connection 4782/4783 carburetors are the cat's knees on a big block. I think everyone with whom I've spoken who's run both prefers the mechanical setup. I bought mine when a roommate had factory A12 carbs on his 440 Charger R/T. After considerable tuning he still could not make it run as well as my DC carbs did box-stock (neither engine was stock). It drove him nuts, especially since I paid $225 for intake, carbs, and a "Mr. Norm's" (aftermarket SB Ford) air cleaner.
However, as @33IMP has stated, ain't no way a carb with both a center-hung float bowl and a metering block will fit on a factory intake. That was the first thing I attempted with mine. When Holley came out with the new carbs shown in Post #1, I contacted that former roommate (who now works at Summit) about getting measurements. "I already looked. Not happening." I've since found another set of the DC carbs.
While simply using side-hung float bowls seems an easy solution, try and find one for a 2-barrel. To my knowledge, the only Holleys that ever used the required float bowl(s) are the 4782 and 4783, and that was N/S in Holley catalogs decades ago. Everything else with side-hung floats and a straight outlet used a transfer tube. After looking for a few years, I'm to the point of finding a vintage 1850 front bowl for my spare 4782 and figuring out the best way to block the transfer-tube provision. Hokey, but effective.
I was just looking for side hung bowls last night and found nothing. Read below for the correct ones, they make them.

I was just looking for side hung bowls last night and found nothing. Read below for the correct ones, they make them.
No, they don't. The 1850 uses a transfer tube, as I mentioned above. I also mentioned it below @33IMP's post about the same time he realized it's not the right bowl. It has to be modified or you'll have three enormous fuel leaks.

Nocar340 is correct. I guess they can be used, if the transfer port is plugged
Edit! Come to think of it, the 1850 bowl (4160) will have the fuel inlet on the passenger side, opposite of the DC mechanical secondary bowls.

Last edited:

I used an 1/8 (I believe) pipe plug to block off where the transfer tube goes in one of mine. I needed a bowl so i made one work. Wasn’t a big deal at all. I used a primary bowl.

Never thought about the bowls but I guess your correct about them being one offs. My setup works fine in a warm 360.

Edit! Come to think of it, the 1850 bowl (4160) will have the fuel inlet on the passenger side, opposite of the DC mechanical secondary bowls.
The 1850/4160 has a driver's side fuel inlet, otherwise it'd be fairly easy to mimic the factory look. The only transfer-tube carbs that come to mind with a passenger-side inlet are the 4165/4175 spread-bores (Q-Jet replacement, bowl #134-110). Their inlet is on the center of the bowl, but it faces the passenger side to use an existing Rochester fuel line. It's even deeper than a center-hung bowl, though.

One other consideration when using an 1850-style bowl is that not all of them use an adjustable needle & seat. Make sure the one you're getting does! This is a mistake I could see myself making--concentrating so hard on the inlet that I completely miss the fixed needle/seat assembly. The 134-101 (dichromate) and 134-101S (shiny) both appear to have it if you're buying new.

I used an 1/8 (I believe) pipe plug to block off where the transfer tube goes in one of mine. I needed a bowl so i made one work. Wasn’t a big deal at all. I used a primary bowl.
I addressed doing something similar in posts 39 and 44. I'd prefer to find something a little less obvious than a big brass plug hanging out, though. I was thinking along the lines of threading for a socket-head set screw, then epoxying it in place permanently.

Another option--involving more work--would be to use 1850/4160 secondary bowls on all three. In addition to blocking the transfer tube provision, you'd need to modify for an external inlet. The 134-105/105S already uses an adjustable needle/seat per Holley. This option would provide for passenger-side fuel inlets. There's already a lot happening on the driver's side, so getting the fuel lines out of the way wouldn't hurt. I think it would also look better, but that's a subjective thing. The passenger side of the DC setup has a lot of empty space while the opposite side is rather busy.

The 1850/4160 has a driver's side fuel inlet, otherwise it'd be fairly easy to mimic the factory look. The only transfer-tube carbs that come to mind with a passenger-side inlet are the 4165/4175 spread-bores (Q-Jet replacement, bowl #134-110). Their inlet is on the center of the bowl, but it faces the passenger side to use an existing Rochester fuel line. It's even deeper than a center-hung bowl, though.

One other consideration when using an 1850-style bowl is that not all of them use an adjustable needle & seat. Make sure the one you're getting does! This is a mistake I could see myself making--concentrating so hard on the inlet that I completely miss the fixed needle/seat assembly. The 134-101 (dichromate) and 134-101S (shiny) both appear to have it if you're buying new.

I addressed doing something similar in posts 39 and 44. I'd prefer to find something a little less obvious than a big brass plug hanging out, though. I was thinking along the lines of threading for a socket-head set screw, then epoxying it in place permanently.

Another option--involving more work--would be to use 1850/4160 secondary bowls on all three. In addition to blocking the transfer tube provision, you'd need to modify for an external inlet. The 134-105/105S already uses an adjustable needle/seat per Holley. This option would provide for passenger-side fuel inlets. There's already a lot happening on the driver's side, so getting the fuel lines out of the way wouldn't hurt. I think it would also look better, but that's a subjective thing. The passenger side of the DC setup has a lot of empty space while the opposite side is rather busy.

I sunk mine in pretty good when i tapped it. It doesn’t hang out bad at all. I used a steel plug. Center carb.

3870EC42-3C5D-4CE1-8638-CF3C25151603.jpeg

Yeah, that's a much better execution than I've seen others take. It also looks like you had the good sense to use a socket-head plug rather than a hex head, which isn't surprising looking at the rest of the setup.

-
Back