Cost of Edelbrock

Magnum Engine Swaps

1. EdM

EdM Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:33 AM
    I find it funny that what appears to be a hard core right site folks would even consider China, particularly of late...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • RustyRatRod

RustyRatRod Bla de blizhibliz de blatde blizi bla bla FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      12:33 PM
      I totally agree. Even though we are usually financially challenged, I try to fine American made items even if I have to buy used. I haven't bought a new pair of jeans since eBay came out. I buy used Levis, made in USA because I cannot afford new.

• rumblefish360

rumblefish360 So close, yet so far away FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      Levi’s are dang pricey off the shelf.

• goldduster318

goldduster318 Overzealous Car Modifier

Local Time:
      These things were $300 10 years ago when they probably sold in a lot higher volume. Just adjusting for inflation, it should be $359. Remember they print money out of thin air....and Edelbrock operates in California where doing anything becomes a lot more expensive.

Keep buying offshore stuff and then wonder why (especially) unskilled jobs don't get a pay raise. Of course the $15/hr min wage is patently insane because it's just going to increase inflation and make US products even less competitive.

In any case, I had used a crosswind originally because I was in college on a magnum head swap engine, it was made wrong and washed my bearings. Bought an edelbrock after that, never had a problem. My friend also has this intake on his 318 magnum for 5 years now and no issues.

• 93ragtop

93ragtop Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Well I am supposed to get the Edelbrock tomorrow!!
      Any suggestions on something to coat it with to keep it looking decent?
      Been reading about shark hide.

• rumblefish360

Local Time:
      • Like Like x 3
      • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • 93ragtop

Local Time:
        Hey Rumblefish360! thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping to keep it looking natural, not wanting to paint it, but not wanting to pay for powder coat. Yes, I want my cake and eat it too!

I may try the sharkhide....

But at any rate, this just came 5 min. ago!!
        20200826_120539.jpg 20200826_120141.jpg

• Like Like x 2
        • rumblefish360

Local Time:
          Congratulations! An excellent intake and has come through to your door for sure!

Caution, the spray can paint may still get Yellow a tad. I however would rather live with a tinge or yellow than old aluminum that gets rather crusty looking. I still suggest powder coating after you verify fitment and make any needed adjustments to the intake first.

I’d show you a shot of the 10 year old powder coated RPM-AG, LA version I have from LeAnna
          ( @CudaChick1968 ) but I have a gazziolion pictures on the phone. I’ll snap a fresh one later. It’s worth every penny spent and the time waited on.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
          • pishta

pishta I know I'm right....

Local Time:
            9:33 AM
            here is a few pics of the crosswind next to the air gap. Crosswind ports need to be port matched but the Edel on the other side has a wall that looked like a noodle, no pic though. Note slightly smaller plenum on Crosswind. I got that Crosswind for $30 on Craigslist off a Chevy guy!
            HPIM1766.JPG HPIM1772.JPG HPIM1762.JPG

• Like Like x 1
            • 93ragtop

Local Time:
              Pishta, Im glad you posted those pictures and IMO with the ones Im adding, it shows the differences in the crosswind vs the edelbrock 7577.
              I believe the important decision to be made, in which intake to use is, what accessory drive system are you using?
              Now, if you are using LA timing cover, V-belts etc, then the crosswind will match better to the LA V-belt setup.
              Notice how your thermostat is pretty much centered, and the bypass hose fitting is angled.

If you notice in the pictures below, using a magnum serpentine drive, the thermostat needs to be offset to clear the AC bracket. Also the bypass hose fitting is straight out.
              IMO if going with a magnum accessory drive, the 7577 edelbrock is best choice, if going with a LA V-belt drive, the Crosswinds would fit best.
              20200902_132722.jpg 20200902_132229.jpg

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.