Could this idea work ? Did other guys did this ? 318 infos

-
Hi guys , putting the 69 valiant aside , ive changed my mind again and want to give my newly ratty 68 Fury 3 / 318 a chance...ive found a 340 intake in my storage and a 360 2bbl carb and adaptor... i really would like to run a dual exhaust system with the fury and good manifolds or even magnum manifolds / headers, im very inspired by little simple mods like 318willrun s pocket porting . I like the idea of running small ports and small valves and maybe even a 360 2bbl cam , or 340 cam to help the teener , **with dual exhaust , tuned carb , cold air system , electronic ignition , backfaced valves , windage tray and maybe 340 valves springs replacementi want a strong 318 but i want it to be a 2bbl , ** after all the views of the Mission impossible video on youtube and the intake porting i was wondering if a 360 2bbl holley 350 cfm ( 318 bbd is 275ishh ) and a better high rise 340/360 intake manifold could it be helpfull ( 318 heads would be gasket matched ) ?? I know a 4bbl would be better , but i like to think outside the box sometimes :)

View attachment 1716069650

View attachment 1716069651
Small ports can be good for port velocity. Obviously you watch DV videos. Take note of his mention in Ep80 of down the road installing inexpensive and lighyer Chev LS valves. Spring installed height could be an issue, but the LS springs, retainers and keepers can be used, even from a wrecker to save money.
In one of his videos discussing porting Ford E7 302 or C6 289 heads DV discusses flow restriction location. At up to 0.25 × valve head diameter, the curtain area between the seat and valve is the main restriction. So stepping up to slightly larger valves from the Magnum or LS engines will make a big difference in flow. At issue is both those valves come with 5/16" or 8mm valve stems, which means new guides. The Chev factory guides are compacted iron or step up to bronze. For a low RPM street engine you get a big gain and still retain idle quality.

Small ports can be good for port velocity.
I think this general census has caused people to leave power on the table, yet to see dyno results that prove 318 heads make more torque down low, not saying velocity isn't important but we only have a few head choices and yet seen a dyno result that shows one killing low end torque.

I think this general census has caused people to leave power on the table, yet to see dyno results that prove 318 heads make more torque down low, not saying velocity isn't important but we only have a few head choices and yet seen a dyno result that shows one killing low end torque.
Yah, yah. I got that. OP mentioned keeping small ports. For a low RPM street engine, keeping port volume down keeps velocity up. You want a race car, go play on a racer forum.
Now a little judiscious porting can aid flow and power, as I was describing. Air speed with the flow going where it wants to go can be aided. You need the velocity to generate the swirl.

Yah, yah. I got that. OP mentioned keeping small ports. For a low RPM street engine, keeping port volume down keeps velocity up. You want a race car, go play on a racer forum.
I basically agreed with what you said why I gave thumbs up but Why do I need to go the racing forum ? I didn't bring velocity on super mild hop up, if the OP wants to do his mods cause of budget and whatever other reasons more power to him and be interested how it worked out. I like people doing other types of mods but if it out a fear of hurting velocity I feel he's been mislead and I'm not saying by you just in general.

Using a 4 barrel intake and adding an adapter to use a 2 barrel carburetor makes as much sense as buying a hat that is too big and having your head surgically reduced in size to fit the hat.

-
Back