could use a little guidance

-

cuda302

Reaction score
Ok first and foremost hello my name chris and I and new to your forum, well kinda ive been a ghost for a little. Lol. But here it goes me and my father are currently deployed in Afghanistan together and ive been in his ear about restoring his 65 barracuda we will be home in about 2 months and would like to get a head start on the project. It doesn't currently have a motor as he thought it would be better to give it the the scrap guy, smh. I almost want to mini tub it. So where do I start as I can see ill be doin most of the work and the car hasnt ran since ive been alive. Im 30 lol any help would be great thanks guys!

Posted via Topify using Android

I would sit down and figure out the route you wish to go with the car,stock,modified,pro street,or some combination of all of them.It,s all way,s a good idea to build a book of your wants and needs and goals for the project,and cost of each section,and what the inspection of each section of the car needs.I am willing to help you and guide you to vest places for parts and etc,and how too go about things.You will have to figure out if the car is worth it or best to buy one that is maybe 10 times cleaner first.You should post some pictures of the car and condition first,and we go from there,mrmopartech

Ok ill try to get some pictures. Is the a site I can find fare price engines im not looking to build a drag car just a sunday cruiser. My ultimate goal is to get it fixed up so my parents can take it out on there 40th anniversary in 2 years

I would sit down and figure out the route you wish to go with the car,stock,modified,pro street,or some combination of all of them.It,s all way,s a good idea to build a book of your wants and needs and goals for the project,and cost of each section,and what the inspection of each section of the car needs.I am willing to help you and guide you to vest places for parts and etc,and how too go about things.You will have to figure out if the car is worth it or best to buy one that is maybe 10 times cleaner first.You should post some pictures of the car and condition first,and we go from there,mrmopartech
X2 and thank you both for your service.:prayer:............Artie :coffee2:

Chris,
Welcome to the best site! Thanks to you and you Dad for your service. Keep low and get home safe. What a son to get Dad's car back on the road in 2 years. He's a lucky guy! Any answers you might need can be found here. Dan

Find out if it was originally a slant or a V-8 car. The fender tag will tell, as would looking at the transmission bell-housing. You can convert a 65 from a slant to a V-8 easier than 67+ cars, if that is your desire. Many posts on that here. Some have installed a Magnum engine, which gives you MPFI and roller cam fairly cheap. The matching tranny is harder (must cut & patch tranny tunnel on body). For dual exhaust, you must cut & weld the tranny cross-member. A V-8 swap usually requires a tougher rear-end.

You really need to define the end goal of the car before you start on it. Does it need to be FAST or handle well? Killer paint or patina? Or just back together as it was originally?

You can start by buying a shop manual for the car. Study it. When you start on the car, a camera, a note book, a permanent marker and baggies are your friend. Save EVERYTHING. Parts for restoration cost a fortune, IMHO. Be careful with glass removal, and if you don't have to, leave the front and rear glass alone. It may be worth while to search for a doner car if you need a lot of parts. An example is I have a spare 65 Dart body with doors, but no front clip. A good 4 door with a good front clip and decent interior would provide most of what I need.

Find out if it was originally a slant or a V-8 car. The fender tag will tell, as would looking at the transmission bell-housing. You can convert a 65 from a slant to a V-8 easier than 67+ cars, if that is your desire. Many posts on that here. Some have installed a Magnum engine, which gives you MPFI and roller cam fairly cheap. The matching tranny is harder (must cut & patch tranny tunnel on body). For dual exhaust, you must cut & weld the tranny cross-member. A V-8 swap usually requires a tougher rear-end.

Dad had a v8 in the car said it was a 318 had a floor shift to. Not sure of the trans and rear though. We still have them. Ill get pic when I get home. He wants to leave it carburated and wants it to be a v8.

You really need to define the end goal of the car before you start on it. Does it need to be FAST or handle well? Killer paint or patina? Or just back together as it was originally?

The end goal is to have a sunday cruiser dads retiring soon so he will need something to drive around town lol. But no i dont plan to road race or drag race. Maybe a mini tub, larger wheels, and a healthy camed v8. As far as paint hes color blind so ill be picking that when the time comes lol.

On my sister-in-laws 66 Barracuda I installed a 340 engine and Ford 8.8 with 3.27 posi. working with 904 transmission I am hoping to end up with a nice driving car. Sub frame is connected, 4 wheel disc, rebuilt manual steering and A/C added, this is Texas. Not stock, but close enough. Little room for exhaust under the Barracuda's at the engine and transmission. Mig welder might be a must have item. Could also have built a 318 late model roller cam engine.

You can start by buying a shop manual for the car. Study it. When you start on the car, a camera, a note book, a permanent marker and baggies are your friend. Save EVERYTHING. Parts for restoration cost a fortune, IMHO. Be careful with glass removal, and if you don't have to, leave the front and rear glass alone. It may be worth while to search for a doner car if you need a lot of parts. An example is I have a spare 65 Dart body with doors, but no front clip. A good 4 door with a good front clip and decent interior would provide most of what I need.
ill keep that in mind thanks

On my sister-in-laws 66 Barracuda I installed a 340 engine and Ford 8.8 with 3.27 posi. working with 904 transmission I am hoping to end up with a nice driving car. Sub frame is connected, 4 wheel disc, rebuilt manual steering and A/C added, this is Texas. Not stock, but close enough. Little room for exhaust under the Barracuda's at the engine and transmission. Mig welder might be a must have item. Could also have built a 318 late model roller cam engine.

That sounds about like I want to do I may be picking your brain soon lol

Where has it been stored for the last 30 yrs? Anything can be fixed but very bad cancer takes much more time and $$$$.

Thank you both for your service. When you get home post up some pics. There is a bunch of help on here for you.

-
Back