Courtesy Light Timer and interior lights

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
I'll start off the car is a 1976 Duster but the entire car was rewired using an AAW kit. I have the dome light and the door switches wired up and working correctly.

I've been pondering the idea of adding in the courtesy lights. I have the ashtray light, column light, glove box light and also planning to add some LED footwell lighting.

I'm sure what all the courtesy light timer does or how it works. My car's electronics were destroyed when I got it and never got to see things in action. Is there a more modern way to have light timers?

I'm just tossing out idea's and hoping to hear yours as well.

Thanks,

Riddler

Delay timers and delay timed relays are very simple and available devices though they cast a little, and even "Do it yourself" Youtube videos on making the timer if you want.

Do a google search for "12v power off delay timer" and you'll see what I mean.
The Grainger adjustable looks good if I was doing this.

I think I'm gonna use this unit. Dome Light Dimmer

Looks to be well built and works like what I'm looking for. I'll add the dome light, courtesy lights and footwell lighting to this.

Riddler

I've thought about it before for my truck, but then I thought.......what purpose does it serve? I mean, when you close the door, you're no longer in the car, so why would you need the dome light to delay? For the coolness factor maybe? Seems like there's no point. Maybe I am missin it.

The lights stay on for a time after the door is closed or turned off early where there's a cancel wiring at the ignition switch. Anyway... You get in, close the door, then fish your keys outa that piece of luggage you call a purse. Then which key? Where's the hole? Opps times up :)

The lights stay on for a time after the door is closed or turned off early where there's a cancel wiring at the ignition switch. Anyway... You get in, close the door, then fish your keys outa that piece of luggage you call a purse. Then which key? Where's the hole? Opps times up :)

Well that makes a little more sense.........but if I need the light on I either don't close the door, or I turn the headlight switch to turn the dome light on.

For me light timers are a PITA. The much hated 95 Olds must wait?? 30 seconds to turn off the dome. I've run the damn battery down a couple times because I didn't realize I'd left the dome switch on......instead of it being the timer. If there was no timer, I would have immediately realized

The "mini white whale" (Dakota project) has some nonsense trickery on the light switch re: the dome light. Not sure I understand it all.

Hella has a "Timed OFF" relay 996152131 that you could use for this. It is adjustable so the lights would stay on for what ever time period you want.

Cley

-
Back