Cowl hoods on Mopars ?

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Let the debating begin !

What do you think of the trend. I kinda like them on certain Mopars. Mainley becuase I like KOS type of cars like the easy street class..

I may even put one on my turd one day. :D

I love cowl hoods,but the only cars i think look the best are on 70's darts,only because i feel that with the rear end of the car being at an angle it kida goes with the style of the body!Just my 2 Cents

Just my .02. I am not a huge fan of them, but they have their place. My dad's '70 racecar, which is on the calendar, has one. It makes it really easy to see versus the big aero-scoop it used to have. I will stick with a flat hood or 6-pcak on my Dart.

I have 2 old mopar performance part # P4529195 , One piece hood scoops that were for the 2 door L-body, They are mopar cowl scoops.
They were purchased at a swap meet 10 years ago for $20.00 each.
Now the cool part, I'm going to put them on my fiberglass AAR GTS Hood, When I sit them in place, the lines really line up pretty neat and by having two of the scoops means I can lenghten the scoop back towards the windshield. At least it will be a mopar hood.

Now a lot of the street racing rules say no forward facing scoops, so if I had to buy one for my mopar it would be a smooth top cowl, The one with the center ridge reminds me to much of the GM scoops. I just couldn't do that !
SIKPUP :mrgreen:

Picture%20004.jpg

heres the one i'm getting[/img]

Mom said "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." So, I won't say anything. I only have one car with a scoop. It came from Ma Mopar like that, and that's the way I'll leave it. Ray

Split vote here. They are obviously not resto material. For us guys that are into function more than "correct", they are a great way to go. Have heard, and seen articles that a cowl hood will feed more air than the scoops will. Wind hitting the windshied will force the air into the cowl hood. Looks are not bad, and probably better aerodynamically better. Have thought of using one on my demon. Will try out the looks on o model first b4 I spend the bucks on a real one. I still like the looks of my twin scoops too though.

I ageee that if I cant say anything nice I wont. Ah what the hell..........I like them on Chevy's but not on Mopars. Ron

Well I prefer flat hoods, no scoop at all but I can see where it might be needed. I'd like to put a spacer under my carb but I can't because it's only an eighth of an inch from the hood now with the air cleaner installed. If I had to do something like that it would probably be some sort of cowl hood. I've driven a car with the dead porpoise on the hood before and don't like it. Very limited visibility.

THEWHITEZOMBIE said:
17dartandbroke said:
Picture%20004.jpg

heres the one i'm getting[/img]
Yup thats the one that i might get as well :scratch:

OH, THE HUMANITY!!!

I love the L-88 cowl hoods on Camaros and other cowls on Chevys, but not on a Mopar. That's what's great about this hobby though...do as you please and pleasing everyone else is not a priority!! :cheers:

Cowls on certain Mopars Such as 67-73 Cudas, 70-74 Challengers. Other then that no, But I still like the 68 SS/AA scoops for 67-69 Cudas and Darts.

demonwiese said:
Split vote here. They are obviously not resto material. For us guys that are into function more than "correct", they are a great way to go. Have heard, and seen articles that a cowl hood will feed more air than the scoops will. Wind hitting the windshied will force the air into the cowl hood. Looks are not bad, and probably better aerodynamically better. Have thought of using one on my demon. Will try out the looks on o model first b4 I spend the bucks on a real one. I still like the looks of my twin scoops too though.

I'm not sure I would go along with that, If this was true I think the ProStock trucks would have used them, Instead they used air ducts that came in through the grille.
It's hard for me to understand how air coming in through the back of the hood and turning around to the carb is better than coming in the front of a forward scoop.
But I could be wrong.

Well .... I haven't come to a conclusion if I like cowl hoods on mopars, yet. They are certainly becoming very poplular on the street legal cars. I can see the advantage of using one.

I have a big pro-stock style bubble scoop on my b'cuda, and it is a PITA to see around. It sucks trying to drive the stripe and judge the other car if I am in the right lane.

I am still figuring out how am I am going to put a blown hemi in my valiant and use a flat hood like I want to. :scratch: I want to avoid a scoop with this new car. It's bad enough I have a ford rear-end, I'd hate to have a chevy hood too. :eek:ops: :mrgreen:

:afro:

On a Mopar ? Sorry not for me. We have enough good looking hood scoops available. No need to go the Cheby route. In my opinion anyways.

P.S. Nice pic of your car Brett .

thebeatgoeson.jpg

I think that cowl scoop goes well to the A-body, it's easy to me to say that cause my wife's '74 Valiant have one :D
Wee needed to space for aircleaner but didn't want "traditional" scoop for it, it made of steel and it almost looks original...
There is some poor photo on public gallery to the car on the track...
It ain't look like that white one on this page, as i say it's homemade...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=431

well another reason being that i live in Louisiana, we get a lot of rain. a friend of mine has a ram air hood on his mustang and he has nothing but rust problems under the hood. just another consideration.

I have a 5 in cowl induction on my 72 duster and a lot of people think it looks better than the sixpack hood I had on it before.

cowl hoods belong on chevys not mopars. its like putting a 6pk hood on a camero, its just not right

-
Back