Cracked intake

-

phish1270

phish1270
Reaction score
So I tried to save some money since times are tough right now & I bought a used Edelbrock Performer 318/360 @ the Rockingham, NC show a couple weeks ago. Threw it in the blast cabinet & hit with some walnut shells to get it clean. It looks much better clean but it has a 3"+/- crack on the bottom (engine) side of it just under where the t-stat sits. :angry7: Yay for me & saving money! Now I am out my money, still don't have a manifold to swap onto my car & feel leery about buying anything from future swap meets.
Can a cracked aluminum manifold be repaired or is it just a weird shaped boat anchor now? Thanks for any help.

Yes, it can be repaired. You will need to drill a hole at each end of the crack and grind out a v in the crack and the have it welded.

Is it worth it? What will welding it cost? It is cracked underneath so if it leaks once it is on the car it will cause some issues. Thanks guys.

I don't know. Go get a quote and tell the guy it needs to be guaranteed not to leak.

Once he gives you a price all your questions will be answered.

Is it worth it? What will welding it cost? It is cracked underneath so if it leaks once it is on the car it will cause some issues. Thanks guys.

I would think if it's done right it will be as good as new.

20 bucks should do it.... That is a weird place for a crack. It won;t leak..pics please

I have an aluminum TM-5 intake for sale in 340John,s auction,good cause!Bid $30?
Parts to sell 011.jpg
All holes good!

Parts to sell 011.jpg

Are you sure it's cracked? Sometimes in the casting process, a chunk of the compressed sand disloges slightly as the molten aluminum is poured in, leaving a inclusion. Try polishing it out with a small sanding disc and see what happens. What have you got to lose?

Here are some pics of the crack. One of them shows light shining through it from behind.

Get rid of it, The only way that could have cracked there is from the gorilla that tried to remove it from an engine without taking all the bolts out and attempting to pry it off.

So I tried to save some money since times are tough right now & I bought a used Edelbrock Performer 318/360 @ the Rockingham, NC show a couple weeks ago. Threw it in the blast cabinet & hit with some walnut shells to get it clean. It looks much better clean but it has a 3"+/- crack on the bottom (engine) side of it just under where the t-stat sits. :angry7: Yay for me & saving money! Now I am out my money, still don't have a manifold to swap onto my car & feel leery about buying anything from future swap meets.
Can a cracked aluminum manifold be repaired or is it just a weird shaped boat anchor now? Thanks for any help.

Wow! That's a 3"+++++ crack. I think you have yourself a weird shaped boat anchor.

Definately a boat anchor........Since it's aluminum I would use it on a very small boat. From the pics it looks like corrosion has been eating away at it for a long time. It looks very thin from the pics.

................Awhile back there was a thread on another intake, a couple guys stepped up to the plate offering to fix it 4 next 2 nothing...........they will chime in with great advice, then u will know where ur at................kim...........

I have welded up a couple of aluminum intakes in the past with no issues. If you want to ship it to me with enough money for return shipping I will do it free of charge.

I'd think that should be okay to weld. It looks to be all under the coolant passage, so concerns of internal cracks crossing between things are greatly diminished and none of the mating surfaces appear to be impacted.

I have welded up a couple of aluminum intakes in the past with no issues. If you want to ship it to me with enough money for return shipping I will do it free of charge.

This is awesome!!

If you find a good welder anything aluminum can be fixed,another beautiful thing about aluminum heads too...

This post went a couple days with nothing now it has blown up with advice! Thanks for the help & suggestions. I have been told that a friend has been offered a FREE stock Mopar 4 barrel manifold that will work. We are awaiting the actual pick up of said manifold so if all goes well I will have a weird shape boat anchor to take over to the Recycle Center. If things do not work out I may take Badart up on his offer. Thanks again for all the input.

Those factory manifolds are heeaavvyy and pretty restrictive. Now that is a boat anchor. Just kidding. If you want to take me up on my offer just PM me. I weld aluminum all of the time at work so I know it can be done.

-
Back