cracked starter cone

-

CHARLES FEARNEYHOUGH

Reaction score
I wanted to delete this entry it was a stupid question.

20220418_124511.jpg

20220418_124623.jpg

There has been more than a few mini's that have done that. You might need to go back to a old starter if it continues.

I got one from Autozone for a '92 Dakota for a V^. Bolted right in, and cleared the headers in my son's W150 4X4. Runs great, and cheap.

I don’t know if you can get away with it like I can but on several of my small and big blocks that I have converted over to powerglide I have cut the nose off of starters and have had zero issues. Take a good look at it and see if that will work for you.

One good kick back and pop! A friend went through two trying to sort out a new programmable ignition box.

Really thinking this and crank it before the ignition is on. I am running 11.5:1 so issues.
s-l1600-jpg.jpg

I've tried those parts store mini starters and never had one break but they always seem to give up within 6 months...
My wife's 175,000 MI Durango has the original starter in my $150,000 MI ram with a 360 has the original starter..
With that said both my Duster and my new Power Wagon build both have Pick-n-Pull Factory starters then I can say my high compression duster has never started better and more reliably... I either pick one out of a truck or find one on the ground like I did the duster LOL and take it home and spray the heck out of it with WD-40 and scrub it with an old toothbrush. Take paper towels and wipe it off and do it again and sometimes the third time until the whole thing is completely clean and new and then install... And never an issue since...

I don’t know if you can get away with it like I can but on several of my small and big blocks that I have converted over to powerglide I have cut the nose off of starters and have had zero issues. Take a good look at it and see if that will work for you.
Maybe it wasn't such a silly question as that was what I was going to ask at the beginning of this thread. Can I get away with just removing the cone and running without it. You can see in the picture that the spur gear shaft does not extend far enough to be supported by the cone anyway.

Maybe it wasn't such a silly question as that was what I was going to ask at the beginning of this thread. Can I get away with just removing the cone and running without it. You can see in the picture that the spur gear shaft does not extend far enough to be supported by the cone anyway.

Like I said I’m doing it for a different reason but I’m thinking it’s doable. It’s been to many years of not having stock stuff to know for sure but if I had a cracked one I with try it for sure.

-
Back