Craftsman tools made in CHINA

-
We are in bad shape and been going for a while, probably why there is such high um-employment here, no where to apply but china is enjoying the biggest economic boom in history. Doesn't look like anything is going to change that I can see, they just shut down another factory about 40 miles from here the other day, moved it to Maylaysia.

Quote from Toolman : I have been a Mac Tool dealer for 20 years now and that means a lot to a lot of people when they buy my products. When someone stops me on the street to buy a simple tool like a screwdriver or a socket they always get a big sticker shock when I tell them the price. They want the best for less.

Over my early years as a mechanic I left so much knuckle blood on equipment that I swore off a couple brands like Proto and Gray. Since moving to MAC for wrenches and sockets my hands have been much happier. I especially like the MAC wrenches, they just feel right and don't bite into my hands like Snap On. I'll continue to buy MAC mostly out of trust.

Thanks, I feel the same way. Mike

http://www.snapon.com.cn/snapon/en/index.htm Check this out. (3rd paragraph).....and everybody thinks they are the best.

The paragraph states "With an 86-year experience, Snap-on now focus on China. We set up a factory with well-trained engineers and workers in Kunshan, China. The world-class products produced are not only for China market, but for all the Asia Pacific Area. We also established a trading company, Snap-on Trading ( Shanghai) Co., Ltd. Our professional team can serve the customers throughout the country through a distribution network consisted of 6 Branch Offices and over 120 resellers."

Did ya read where it says, "The world-class products produced are not only for China market, but for all the Asia Pacific Area." Didn't say they're coming to North America.

And according to the site 340 833 dart posted, http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html if you scroll down far enough for Snap On it states, "Snap-on Tools: a business division of Snap-on Inc., Snap-on Tools Group manufactures tools for motor vehicle service and repair at 4 facilities in the U.S. (Elkmont, AL; Algona, IA; Elizabethton, TN; and Milwaukee, WI). Known for their franchised dealer vans, Snap-on tools are now also available online. Tools imprinted with the Snap-on name are made in US, other tool brands (including Blue Point) are imported."

So as you can see Snap On still makes tools in the USA.

Now having said that, last summer I bought a BluePoint timing light from the tool truck. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...&group_ID=1388&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
I never got to use it until last month. Hooked it up and the damn thing didn't work - no display. Give it back to Mr. Snap On. It'll be 4 to 6 weeks. Wish I would have known it's imported (BluePoint see above). Funny how it looks almost identical to this Equus Innova model at my local Canadian Tire store! http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/TimingLights/PRD~0252029P/Digital%252BTiming%252BLight.jsp

This is the first time I've had a problem with something from Snap On or BluePoint in 25 years. I'm no longer in the trade and buy most of my tools at Canadian Tire when they have a sale. I don't make a living from turning wrenches anymore so I don't need the best. As long as I still get a lifetime warranty from Canadian Tire, I'm good with it.

Wylde1.

I guess my point was that every tool manufacturer regardless of status has products made in countries other than the USA. Don't let them fool ya'. Snappy's made overseas products are filtering into their product line. They are like Toyota and keep it a secret. They don't want to tarnish their reputation. Muddacres opened this post because he was surprised that Sears have started to sell tools made in China. Like or not it seems that everybody does nowdays. Mike

Quote by Wilde. Funny how it looks almost identical to this Equus Innova model at my local Canadian Tire store!

I bought that exact light 2 years ago and works great, nice bright light and you advance or retard the timing with an up or down arrow then get a digital readout.

What happens when I take in my broken made in USA ratchet for replacement, and they hand me a made in China ratchet???:angry7:

Our local Sears outlet store makes us drive 35 miles to return tools!
Maybe if I cause the crazy old man ***** out they'll rplace with a small laser etch set I can read!

Oh I can just see the store security running to the tools section now!
Then me and the store manager get to be new friends!:cheers:

i got a set of Craftsman wrenches ....probably 15 yrs old that say made in Japan...

Having worked in an auto assembly plant and seeing what they use day in and day out I would say that Williams, Brown, Cornwell, Proto, Mac and certain Snap On tools rank among the most heavy duty tools made. My tool box has many diff tool brands and craftsman is probably my fav except for the ratchets and I prefer the proto ones there.

Pawn shops are a good place to find bargins on older made in America craftsmans.

The real story is the unions. Always looking to start trouble.
We had a plant here that asked the employees to take a one
dollar cut in pay to keep the plant opened. These were people
that were making $13.00 to $17.00 to push a button on a
machine. The union stepped in and said no cut in pay. Guess what?
THE PLANT CLOSED. No more jobs. The union leaders don't care.
They still get there paychecks.

Why do some people always want to blame the unions first, foremost, and absolute?? A union worker is just another American worker that refuses to work for $1.00 per day while the CEO and other top company officials work for $5000.00 a day. Sure some people are greedier than others but if you want to put absolute blame, follow what a whole bunch of other people stated in this thread and place the blame equally from the top dog down to bottom of the ladder. China workers are no different than American workers other that the fact that there are a billion more of them competing for the same jobs. They work hard for what little money they get and try to do the best they can with what they're given. Union leaders in this country don't care mostly because they're American leaders that have decided they're value is more important than the workers value just the same as company leaders and polital leaders. So the moral of the story is if you are willing to work for a dollar a day with no benefits whatsoever and don't give a darn if your company CEO makes 15mil a year doing nothing, then more products will be made in America. But the economy has proven time and time again, the average American worker refuses to work for a dollar a day and no benefits.

The trouble is "lifetime warranty" means squat when your out in the field and something breaks. I always carried a spare set of the most crucial tools just in case. Never had a problem with snapon but my craftsman stuff used to break frequently (most times my own fault though).

The trouble is "lifetime warranty" means squat when your out in the field and something breaks. I always carried a spare set of the most crucial tools just in case. Never had a problem with snapon but my craftsman stuff used to break frequently (most times my own fault though).

You mean like adding that 8 foot pipe on the end of a 3/8" drive ratchet. Sometimes they break. :-D

Wylde1.

I was in sears today to spend some gift cards and was looking. I see that they are starting to make there craftsman hand tools in china, All there power tools as well. Where is it going to stop, it is all about corporate greed.
Jim

This is kind of old news and really, i'm not terribly upset. Sears/kmart stores are close by for me and its hard to beat the quality for the price.

I'm pretty sure the socket set i have, has 'made in china" all over it, but the quality is still gonna be better then some of the junk i've bought from harbor freight.

I can't say this does much to change my buying habits because "made in america" tools are too expensive for the average person. and from my experience, the quality is not enough to justify the price. plus in many cases, having to chase down a Snap-off/etc sales truck.

Besides, i'm done with craftsmen. I started using those gearwrench ratchet wrenches. 10x nicer then any craftsmen tool i've owned. I use it on everything.

i just purchased a set of 3 rachets, a metric wrench set, a sae wrench sets, and some sockets, all craftsman , all made in USa. Altought i did see wrenchs that said "sears"

Why do some people always want to blame the unions first, foremost, and absolute?? A union worker is just another American worker that refuses to work for $1.00 per day while the CEO and other top company officials work for $5000.00 a day. Sure some people are greedier than others but if you want to put absolute blame, follow what a whole bunch of other people stated in this thread and place the blame equally from the top dog down to bottom of the ladder. China workers are no different than American workers other that the fact that there are a billion more of them competing for the same jobs. They work hard for what little money they get and try to do the best they can with what they're given. Union leaders in this country don't care mostly because they're American leaders that have decided they're value is more important than the workers value just the same as company leaders and polital leaders. So the moral of the story is if you are willing to work for a dollar a day with no benefits whatsoever and don't give a darn if your company CEO makes 15mil a year doing nothing, then more products will be made in America. But the economy has proven time and time again, the average American worker refuses to work for a dollar a day and no benefits.

The problem comes when unions start to jam up the works by forcing companies to pay absurd rates for what is essentially unskilled labor. It drives up the cost of the product, and people are less likely to buy "made in America" if another company can produce a product of the same quality out of china.

IMO Unions have worn out their welcome. They were useful back when employers treated employees now crap. Now they're just giving companies a reason to outsource. In my job several dumb people have been talking about trying start a union because the company had to completely stop giving raises with the downed economy.(crybaby employees) Which sucks, but people act like it will fix things and get them their raises back. Ignoring the fact that the union dues will probably eat their raise for the next two years and some asshats will regulated the hell out of a good job.

They're probably just trying to stay competitive by manufacturing in China. You almost can't blame them; they're just trying to keep their costs down.

When is it going to stop? When people like me and you stop buying the Chinese made junk and insist on products made in North America. That's not to say that everything made in China is junk, but we have to support the manufacturing industries here in our own back yard.

I will second this! When I bought my snowblower I had a choice between the cub cadet and a yardworks.Turns out the yardworks was made in china.The cub cadet is built in the U.S,so I bought it.

I stay away from chinese crap.

The problem comes when unions start to jam up the works by forcing companies to pay absurd rates for what is essentially unskilled labor. It drives up the cost of the product, and people are less likely to buy "made in America" if another company can produce a product of the same quality out of china.

IMO Unions have worn out their welcome. They were useful back when employers treated employees now crap. Now they're just giving companies a reason to outsource. In my job several dumb people have been talking about trying start a union because the company had to completely stop giving raises with the downed economy.(crybaby employees) Which sucks, but people act like it will fix things and get them their raises back. Ignoring the fact that the union dues will probably eat their raise for the next two years and some asshats will regulated the hell out of a good job.

This has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You think bad employers who tret people like crap are gone? Tell it to the waitress who makes $3/hr. If she made more she would have more to spend. Simple fact.Union employees have more disposable income and do far more to support the economy than most,BECAUSE THEY CAN AFFORD TO!

Unskilled labor my ***....

You speak from ignorance and jealosy.I've seen it soooo many times.

-
Back