CRAGAR WHEEL RESTORATION?

-

pa340dart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have an old set of Cragar's 14x8, 4-1/4 back space, 4" bolt circle
Can this wheel be restored and by who or is it junk?

96796050-9D80-4ADE-B65B-9FA8AE5586A0.jpeg

477D4BC9-7E64-4B47-82DC-EEC7BD17C113.jpeg

@65dartcharger had some done...maybe he will chime in and explain what he had to do. I know the center spoke section has to come out to chrome the hoop, then welded back together

Help me out yall...
I some how have a faint memory that the early 4" S/S wheels had a smaller dia. center cap? If so, do you have them also? Could be hard to find.

I have an old set of Cragar's 14x8, 4-1/4 back space, 4" bolt circle
Can this wheel be restored and by who or is it junk?

View attachment 1715892534

View attachment 1715892535
Too far gone to get a good smooth chrome on those. Buy new ones would be my suggestion. Like Keith mentioned in post #3, Ulf has restored Cragars for his Dart Charger's but they were the original 13" SS's and no longer reproduced.

OOTB, Maybe blast 'em to see what ya' got and powder coat 'em if they're worth it to ya?

Gring of the welding on the inside of the wheel. Then push the centerpice out. You can use a hammer but a hydraulic press is better. Send the steel rim to a chrome shop to get new chrome. The center piece can be polished to shining condition or rechromed at a chrome shop.
When the center piece is done then press it back in the spot where it was from start. Mount is and check for no wobbel and then tack weld it in place. Don't grind off the chrome before welding!

20210705_195130.jpg

20210705_195136.jpg

20210612_202308.jpg

New ones have quality issues bought two from Summit had flaws in chrome
Probably made in Mexico.

I think they have been made in China for the last 10+ years. I sold a pair of new in the boxes 15x8 Cragars that were from around 2006 and they were still made in the USA

Last edited:
Vintage wheels are very hot right now and many people are restoring them. Fenton, Spyder, Keystone, Cragar, etc are being done, is it cheap? No...can you buy new ones? Most cases no...people want the old MADE IN THE USA stuff and I think it’s cool people are doing this. There are Facebook pages dedicated to just vintage wheels and tires with lots of great info...here is one I belong too, people there are great and passionate about old wheels.

60's & 70's Vintage Mag Wheels/Bias Ply Tires.. Buy/Sell/Trade/Discuss

My truck had the 17 inch R/T wheels. The chrome was starting to peel. I wire wheeled them and painted black.

image.jpeg

@65dartcharger thanks
I’m not sure on the process of welding aluminum to steel. Was hoping to find a resto shop to do it and get an approx estimate
Don’t know if 14” x 8” were repo’ed
I found 14x7
These wheels were on my 70 swinger when I bought it in 1978 G70 x14 along with air shocks and extenders LOL
Fronts were 14x6 E70x14
Just took the tires off last week tire guy fought with it for 20+ minutes they were so petrified
These were stored in back of one of my garages since the early 80’s. I should have 3 sets total
I don’t know if I’ll restore them just didn’t want to toss them without checking it out.
IIRC I think @Oldmanmopar replied to a thread on here that he new a wheel restoration guy near him Couldn’t find it

@65dartcharger thanks
I’m not sure on the process of welding aluminum to steel. Was hoping to find a resto shop to do it and get an approx estimate
Don’t know if 14” x 8” were repo’ed
I found 14x7
These wheels were on my 70 swinger when I bought it in 1978 G70 x14 along with air shocks and extenders LOL
Fronts were 14x6 E70x14
Just took the tires off last week tire guy fought with it for 20+ minutes they were so petrified
These were stored in back of one of my garages since the early 80’s. I should have 3 sets total
I don’t know if I’ll restore them just didn’t want to toss them without checking it out.
IIRC I think @Oldmanmopar replied to a thread on here that he new a wheel restoration guy near him Couldn’t find it
Welding the center piece to the steel rim is no problem. The center piece has one steel plate in each spoke and that is the piece that is welded to the steel rim.

I'd blast them and powdercoat them gunmetal gray or something. I'm not a real fan of those heavy hoop post #17 wheels. Alot different than post #9 rims.

-
Back