Craigslist Engine Stand Score!!

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I had myself all talked into going to Harbor Freight and buying one of those Chinese engine stands that they sell. I was going to buy the best one that they had. It is a 2 ton model for $139 plus tax. I wasn't happy about buying a cheap Chinese stand, but my choices on an American stand were limited.

I've been checking Craigslist pretty regularly looking for stands, but mostly all I ever see is the ones from HF or Cummins Tool. Every once in a while I'll see a good one, but it is usually too far away or already sold.

So today before going to Harbor Freight to pick up a stand, I checked Craigslist one more time. I am really glad I did because I found this heavy duty home made engine stand for $50. It is really well gusseted and all of the welds look real nice. Who ever made this thing took pride in their work. It has HD wheels with grease fittings. The stand part pulls up and out of the base for easy storage. All I had to do is de-grease it and hit it with the power washer. A $5 can of Rustoleum primer and it looks good as new. The thing will probably out last all of us!!!

enginestand001Medium.jpg

Bullseye Brian! Very nice and I couldn't even build one like that for 50 bucks.

I've got a 73 360 short block that's going on it next weekend!! This was the first step towards my stroker project. I'm so stoked!

Here's another pic!!!

enginestand002Medium.jpg

Great score and nice stand!! I would rather get an old sturdy well built one like you did off craigslist, than buy China crap from HF anyday :cheers:

thats awesome dude!!! paint that sucker and sticker it up! ill get posts of my stand so u can see. lol

$129 for a HF engine stand? Wow, I think I paid 39 for their high end one? Yours looks nice. My mechanic friend had an HD that had a pinion gear so you could turn it with a speed handle. He had a '31 Caddie V16 motor on it at the time, wouldnt want to have that thing drop on your toes!

$129 for a HF engine stand?

HF had three stands. Cheapest $39, T shaped, wouldn't put a lawnmower engine on it. Cheaper $79, H shaped, but had same thin engine plate as the $39 stand. Cheap $139 for a 2 ton, H shaped, folding engine stand, with a thick motor plate. All made in China...

As promised, the 360 was mounted on the stand tonight!!

img1313207131381.jpg

And disassembled...

img1313207130237.jpg

It's a 73 standard bore block, can still see the cross hatch in the cylinders. All bearings had been replaced standard. Pistons were in nice shape too. Appears to be a low mileage freshened up stock 360.

-
Back