Craigslist idiots rant

-

cascius

Reaction score
So I emailed a guy last night that has a '72 Dart listed for sale. His title lists a Dart and a couple other vehicles and has a $10,000 price listed. When you open it up there is two pics of a Dart shell (on jackstands no supsension, no glass, no interior, in primer), and one pic each of the two other vehicles. No description, no details on the car other than what year it is and what engine he has laying there for it, nothing on what it includes, and no individual prices.

My email to him was a very simple email asking how complete the car was, which engine it originally came with, and if it came with any factory options (buckets, console, scoops). I got a response back this afternoon from him saying "if youre serious call the number in the ad if not dont waste my time". It was typed exactly like that. What the hell is wrong with these people? How do I know if I'm serious if I don't know what I'm buying or for how much? If you don't want people emailing you about something you have for sale then you need to select the box that doesn't allow it. And if you have a prospective buyer that does contact you, how can you even think that a response like that is acceptable? I get tired of tire kickers and spammers myself but that's part of selling stuff on craigslist. Get over it or don't do it. Ok, I think I'm done. Thanks FABO.

He certainly could have handled that a lot better, but many people cannot type, and so pecking out a few words might be frustrating. And, many use various texting devices to post Craigs ads, one of my favorite things to get irritated about (How many photos you've seen upside down sideways from a cell??"

Don't know what ta tell ya. If you think it's a "deal," call him and TELL him you didn't appreciate his answer.

I hear ya, losing faith in CL, I've emailed a guy about his MSD box for the last 3 days, I'm ready to put the cash in his hand & he doesn't respond but renews the post this morning. oh well, it wasn't meant to be.

lotta scammers on c/l, that guy might just have been fed up with a few..never can tell...

its kind of funny he took the time to email you back, but couldn't answer your question.

lotta scammers on c/l, that guy might just have been fed up with a few..never can tell...

I can understand not liking to deal with the spammers but a lot of the time you can tell that their emails are crap.

its kind of funny he took the time to email you back, but couldn't answer your question.

That's was part of my thought too. It's not like I was trying to lowball him or criticize his car that might make him mad. I was simply asking questions about the condition and what was included with it. I think he could have at least found a little nicer way to say "Please call me if you'd like to talk about the car".

Some people are honest and put in their ads descriptions like, "Call will not respond to texts or emails." I can understand this, they simply don't have the typing skills or are afraid of phishing scams.

Obviously this is what the guy should have put in the advertisement.

I still find stuff on CL from time to time, but it takes more work than it should.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Can you imagine dealing with this Asshole in person??

I always try to be overly nice when it comes to buying or selling online...

Post the link to the ad or maybe just the picture? so we can get the full effect :D

-John

Here's the link to the ad. I sent him back a reply very nicely stating that I may be an interested buyer if I knew what I was buying. Telling him that I'm a local guy that grew up in Lawrence and owned several Mopars already and was just inquiring for more info. He came back with this:

Did you even read the ad this is for three I repeat three cars and last time I checked you can't buy something unless you talk to somebody in person I'm sorry if I came across as rude but I don't believe in wasting peoples time and I don't want my time wasted either people all the time write these stupid emails expecting me to tell them the life story of the car and then you never hear from them I work 15 hours a day and my time is important so If your not willing to communicate with me personally then there's nothing more to talk about and don't bother unless you've got the money to talk.

I told him that I obviously didn't need his car and he obviously didn't need my money. I'm done with him.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3361246277.html

What people don't seem to get, is that email works at the convienience of BOTH parties.

NO phone tag, and no hurry up and try to write down what the other party is saying.

I don't get it either. If you have a reasonably written email inqiry, answer it, and you may make a sale.

I spend a lot of time in computer data centers- and a lot of time waiting for computers to finish executing things.

I have all sorst of time to type on the keyboard that is right in front of me, but I have precious little time to make phone calls, and the noise is frowned upon.

Unless I REALLY want something, if the seller won't return an email...they lose a sale.

I listed a bunch of stuff here and on the CL. I've had one legit CL call, and the rest are scammers asking if I still have the "item" for sale, or "I saw your item and liked your ad, lets hook up" with some girl's cell phone pics attached. BS.

Now, I've gotten some action from CL ads on multiple occasions, but always from ads in the dating section, never from selling something. Between that and retarded buyer/sellers, it does get old.

Sounds like he might be a butthole or just tired,
I sell on CL all the time and it is tiresome to
deal with people/idiots.
No matter how well you describe or pictures you take
people find something to ask or ***** about.
Most are tirekickers or brokeass timewasters.
If you do as he asks and call, make an appointment
and show up, you might get a good deal or a wasted day,
but you'll never know unless you do it his way.

The add looks straight forward but terse to me,
looks like call and come look or don't bother me .

Interesting how this CL thread came up at the right time. I'm doing a ton of work on my house & decided that a scaffold would make life easier & safer instead of hanging off an extension ladder on a hill. I started looking at ads on CL & found one less than an hour away for exactly what I wanted.

The ad was several weeks old so I emailed asking if it was still available, if the price was at all negotiable, & can I come that day or soon after to see it & pick it up. The reply came late in the day & was short & not very informative, "Yes, still have it" was all he said.

So now that the day was lost in possibly going to see it & get it, I emailed again that night asking some of the same questions he didn't answer, like when can I come, & is the price firm. He replied with when I can come, but said nothing about the price except, "There's lots of interest."

Lots of interest? In an ad that was almost a month old with the item unsold I suppose so. :laughing:

I never bothered him again & found another one for 1/3 the price.

I propose that we start a movement to have craigslist name changed to something more fitting. I am open to suggestions but here are a few i have thought of.

1 the asshole finder
2 the place where crack smokers sell dreams.
3 my **** is worth more because its rare
4 my over priced ****
5 i'm just fishing for your email and have nothing really to offer
6 or a sucker born everyday so check back
7 posting just to see who responds to my junk

now these are just a few i have come up with.
sorry for my post hijack
Arco

i love the adds that say no emails , but have the email address in the add because they didnt bother to hide it. i email them just to tell them if they dont want emails then hide your email address idiot when you post your add, because after all, it is an option. i love the adds that have 57 different keywords in them . i copy all the keywords and paste them in the subject box just and send them back to them , just in case i didnt send the right one. if they dont want emails or dont have a pic, then i keep moving. of course i always hide my email address because thats the best way to get bombarded with bullshit and spam. I will add, i have gotten some great deals off CL weeding through the garbage

I have gotten some good stuff on craigslist. It is good for large items locally that are costly to ship. In my experience, people first ask high prices on craigslist, since free, and hope for a big score. Ex, I saw my 65 Dart on craigslist at $2500 then $1800, claiming "fresh paint, ready to put trim back", but never got around to looking at it. Later saw on ebay at $700 w/ 1 hr left, so bid and got at $1000. Turned out a low budget paint job (abandoned at body shop) and had been sitting in a tow yard for years (rusting thru) w/ "$4500" on windshield, so $1000 was fairer.

Re e-mail and typing, gamers (my sons) have learned to be rude and operate at the manners level of 12 yr old boys. You see more young hires at companies who can't even talk in person and expect all communication texted w/ thumbs. Of course, I have run into geezers who also can't form a sentence, even try to spell, or put any effort into assisting the reader. Those seem to be badges of honor at dot com companies.

I sell on line all the time. I answer every email. If the question is valid I update the ad with the new info. That seller is just a plain old Douche Bag. Move on to a seller that's not a freaking retard.

^That's funny.

I broke down an called him anyway because it was killing me as to what it was being that close to home. He was kind of an a$$ on the phone but not nearly as bad as in the emails. Here's what I got from him.

'72 Dart, originally a slant 6, bench seat, column shift, 8 3/4 rear (don't know if it's an A-body one or not), drum brakes all around, small bolt front and big bolt rear (makes me wonder if they changed the axles or if it's out of something else), 14" wheels all around (5" on front and 7" on rear). Has new floors and trunk floor in it and said he had to do some repairs on the torque box area. Body is in primer and you can tell from the pics that he's been block sanding on it. Engine is supposedly rebuilt and never fired. '69 440, steel crank, forged pistons, 440 source aluminum heads, victor intake w/Holley 750 carb, A-body headers with new 2.5 exhaust. Has another '76 440 that goes too. Trans lost reverse when he parked it so it's going to need some work. Interior is ready to go in it but still missing a dash pad. New carpet and headliner. Door panels have been dyed and I couldn't hear him when he was talking about the seats. I think he said recovered but he may have said redyed. He bought the car as a running, driving big block Dart and has done the body work himself. I asked him whether it was an original big block K frame or if they used Schumacher mounts and he didn't know. He thought it was just a V8 K-Frame that they used conversion mounts on but wasn't sure. Manual steering, manual brakes. Has everything to assemble but works too much and doesn't have time.

I know, I can only take that with a grain of salt until I actually see it in person. If I end up looking at it I'll get some pictures.

so where in Kansas is the beast? You have a quest although you already know what you will find at the end of the tunnel!! Good Luck with this ,Lawrence

Attachments

• IMG_5359 (2).jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 266
So, I guess most people can't tell the differnece between:

1- "Hello do you still have item?"

and

2- Hi, I'm interested in your Duster, do you know if they put in hardened valve seats when the heads were redone? Does it have any rust in the cowl area? I'm about 30 min away from you in XXXXX city.
I'd like to come look at it one day this week. Are you available after 4:00?

Every ad I post gets at least one "do you still have item", but I have sold a couple of things with no problems.

I was corresponding with two people about 100 miles away, and even called and spoke to one of them for almost an hour. Both promised additional pics, but I never received pics from either. Both cars have been listed for over eight months, and are still currently listed WTF?? Take 15 min and send the only legitimately interested person within 100 miles some pics!

Same sort of stuff goes on Kijiji here in Canada. We seem to use it more than craigslist. I saw this ad on kijiji, it was fairly local to me. Said 340 X heads for sale. 700 dollars very rare. Was a extremely rusty head and he took a picture of where it said J right by the spark plug Hole. Like WTF? Casting number was even photographed. Like research before you sell.

so where in Kansas is the beast? You have a quest although you already know what you will find at the end of the tunnel!! Good Luck with this ,Lawrence

The car is somewhere in Lawrence. I've got his number and may end up going to look at it to flip.

So, I guess most people can't tell the differnece between:

1- "Hello do you still have item?"

and

2- Hi, I'm interested in your Duster, do you know if they put in hardened valve seats when the heads were redone? Does it have any rust in the cowl area? I'm about 30 min away from you in XXXXX city.
I'd like to come look at it one day this week. Are you available after 4:00?

Every ad I post gets at least one "do you still have item", but I have sold a couple of things with no problems.

I was corresponding with two people about 100 miles away, and even called and spoke to one of them for almost an hour. Both promised additional pics, but I never received pics from either. Both cars have been listed for over eight months, and are still currently listed WTF?? Take 15 min and send the only legitimately interested person within 100 miles some pics!

That's the biggest thing I hate. I can usually tell when the responses are very generic and vague that it may be crap. If someone takes the time to ask specific questions then I make sure I take the time to answer them.

-
Back