Crane ( Ductile Iron ) rocker arms

-

Looks like the Crane design is still the same. I prefer the Smith Bros design, you can see the difference in the picture below. Crane on the left, Smith Bros on the right. The Smith Bros adjusters are the better made piece, they have much better radiuses.

IMG_5442.jpg

Looks like the Crane design is still the same. I prefer the Smith Bros design, you can see the difference in the picture below. Crane on the left, Smith Bros on the right. The Smith Bros adjusters are the better made piece, they have much better radiuses.

View attachment 1715191785

Glad u shared this going to order some tomorrow I will go with Smith Bros thanks Hoss.

Crane Steel and Ductile Iron Shaft Mount Rocker Arms 69770-16 says they are still available with about 5 week wait...bought a set about 30 yrs ago....never had a adjuster break but had a rocker break on the underlying portion of it...

Crane does not make aluminum rockers for LA engines anymore...

Did u buy them new ??
How much lift was u running ??
Like most other things made today quality isnt like it was 20 or 30 years ago .

U right without a doubt
I will buy two sets tomorrow thanks Hoss.

Yes..bought them new back in the early 80s....I believe I was running one of the old MP cams... .557 lift,,, the rockers arms back then were probably made with melted down broken adjusters..lol

Yes..bought them new back in the early 80s....I believe I was running one of the old MP cams... .557 lift,,, the rockers arms back then were probably made with melted down broken adjusters..lol

Ok we have about the same cam specs
Mine are new but were made in 2009
Going to buy those Smith Bros adjusters for mine since forum said crane had bad batches

The bad batches were years ago.
Any thing that was going to break would have broke by now. Do your rockers come with springs between the arms on the shaft?

Any thing that was going to break would have broke by now. Do your rockers come with springs between the arms on the shaft?

That's true, the bad batches were years ago, and anything that has been run would have broken by now.

But stuff like that shows up on eBay all the time, parts that were bought new years ago and never used. That's exactly how I ended up with my Crane ductile rockers. Brand new parts that were never used, sat on a shelf for years and were then sold on eBay. I ran them, they broke, and that's how I found out that the rockers I bought were from that bad manufacturing run.

These are new ones made in 09 but never ran on a motor I just purchased them . I thru the hardware in the garbage once yall told me about the bad batch etc I will buy Smith Bros 2 sets .

Going to order some from Smith Bros this week , I know they are 3/8"-24 thread but how long are these ??? Smith Bros offers different lengths ???

Going to order some from Smith Bros this week , I know they are 3/8"-24 thread but how long are these ??? Smith Bros offers different lengths ???

Don't forget,you need to correct for rocker geometry and do it correctly unlike the guy who did it wrong in this months issue of Hot Rod.

Go to b3racingengines.com and read his tech pages and then order his kit. Before you buy pushrods.

No, I bought a couple sets from Smith Bros. I run their push rods, they also sell adjusters.
They offer several sizes on their site would u happen to remember the part number or would u remember the lenth and size of them I should have measured mine but I threw they away and want to order 2 sets from Smith Bros

They offer several sizes on their site would u happen to remember the part number or would u remember the lenth and size of them I should have measured mine but I threw they away and want to order 2 sets from Smith Bros

I don’t have that information off hand. All I did though was call Smith Bros and tell them what I had. You should be able to call them, tell them what rockers you have, and they should know what to get you. The stuff I have wasn’t custom or anything.

I think if you tell them you have crane ductile rockers for a small block they will know what adjuster to give you

-
Back