crank bolts missing??????

-

Vali68

Reaction score
I looked at the front of the rebuild slant6 I have on my engine stand and noticed my son only used 2 small bolts to attach the front pulley to the crank. Do I need to find more bolts and put them in there or will the 2 bolts and the huge bolt that holds the pulley onto the crank be fine?

Attachments

• crank.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 226
You should put a least one more in it, if not all of them.
The way it is now will end up cracking out the center out of the pully.

Cain't tell from the fuzzy pixture, but if they are not at least grade 5 (3 line marks on the bolt head in a star-ish pattern), then I would replace them and put all of them in. One looks like it has a squashed flat washer under the head; I would use new lock washers.

Cain't tell from the fuzzy pixture, but if they are not at least grade 5 (3 line marks on the bolt head in a star-ish pattern), then I would replace them and put all of them in. One looks like it has a squashed flat washer under the head; I would use new lock washers.

Guess I could go to NAPA and get some bolts and lock washers. I need some anyways because the motor was missing quite a few bolts. Some of them were even metric which I didn't understand at all.

Most slants came without the center bolt. Certainly early ones did. I understand it is the same bolt as for the Hemi engine, though a regular hardware store one should work. A bolt is good for turning over the engine, though you can do that by just pulling on the fan belt.

I'd put a bolt in each hole... why not? pretty cheap insurance against it cracking...

x2. New hardware is much cheaper than fixing/replacing the stuff that gets trashed when the old worn hardware lets go.

The power steering pulley gets three 5/16 bolts. Grade 5 is fine. Do not put in bolts that are too long. They will hit the timing cover. The A/C pulley gets three 3/8 bolts from the back side. The crank center bolt is optional. Most slants did not have them.

-
Back