Crank scrapers or plate...?

-
There is some fitting to do when you mount the scraper. I don't recall exactly how much it is you leave to self clearance but I think it's about .040ish.

Guess I could go pull the file and look at it but that's about right.
sounds like a hellofa deal !

What a slew of uppity spazoid reactions in the thread.lol
Any of our mopar engines with crank above pan rail 'big block' or with adeep enough sump 'milodon deep sump pan on a small block' doesnt really have the issues a windage tray would typically be used for...and that's where a scraper would benefit/be used instead.
Will it hurt to run a windage tray with a deep sump, maybe there is testing...idk..maybe its keeping oil ...maybe not... plan plan plan. Scraper and baffles for deep stumps are best...windage trays in stoker pans are better than just a scraper...one thing is pretty certain is that a scraper will help in all those for shedding what's caught on upward rotation from the pan and leak/returned oil.

Block design/oil return placement and size plays a part in how crucial one or the other..combination of what you need to use. Dont just throw it all in and assume it's working together for oil control.

What a slew of uppity spazoid reactions in the thread.lol
Any of our mopar engines with crank above pan rail 'big block' or with adeep enough sump 'milodon deep sump pan on a small block' doesnt really have the issues a windage tray would typically be used for...and that's where a scraper would benefit/be used instead.
Will it hurt to run a windage tray with a deep sump, maybe there is testing...idk..maybe its keeping oil ...maybe not... plan plan plan. Scraper and baffles for deep stumps are best...windage trays in stoker pans are better than just a scraper...one thing is pretty certain is that a scraper will help in all those for shedding what's caught on upward rotation from the pan and leak/returned oil.

Block design/oil return placement and size plays a part in how crucial one or the other..combination of what you need to use. Dont just throw it all in and assume it's working together for oil control.

Thats not true. The big blocks with the crank in the skirts have huge issues with windage control. Even with a dry sump.

Take a look at the 99 Hemi. Nickens was milling away the entire skirt on the passenger side of the block so they could get a decent pan with a kick out and a scraper on it.

He told me it took about 2 hours just to get the pan off and about 4 hours to get it on and sealed well enough to hold 20 inches of vacuum.

Someone posted on the first page that Chrysler was sung crank scrapers in the Hemi to control windage back when they ran that in Pro Stock.

Its amazing how hard it is to pull some guys out of the Stone Age.

If you get a crank scraper on that world your oil pressure WILL ago up. That right there should tell anyone that is thinking a whole bunch about that one thing.

Thats not true. The big blocks with the crank in the skirts have huge issues with windage control. Even with a dry sump.

That would be good advice for 'pro stock' which a far cry from this boards aspirations. Still, thanks for adding that. I did say to use a scraper, but see I'm offering advice in the realm of what you'll read 99% people on this site are doing. .sans the rail mods and all that.

Last edited:
That would be good advice for 'pro stock' which a far cry from this boards aspirations. Still, thanks for adding that. I did say to use a scraper, but see I'm offering advice in the realm of what you'll read 99% people on this site are doing. .sans the rail mods and all that.

I get that. I use a crank scraper. I don’t run Pro Stock. I carry way more oil pressure than I normally would.

That should be a big clue as to some of what the crank scraper does.

99% of the people on here don’t use one because they have never been told the benefits of a crank scraper or don’t understand it.

I get that. I use a crank scraper. I don’t run Pro Stock. I carry way more oil pressure than I normally would.

That should be a big clue as to some of what the crank scraper does.

99% of the people on here don’t use one because they have never been told the benefits of a crank scraper or don’t understand it.
1st motor I built for myself had a scraper. Made it out of duct metal, it bolted between the pan and block.
The guy teaching me at the time 'Leonard Layman' a swed ..cross drilled the crank too. I still have the scraper hanging on the wall. I was 17 years old. Long *** time ago.

If you take off the sump of many modern engines they have both scrapers and trays, or a combined complicated looking integrated thing that hugs the crank and appears to fill most of the space in there.

and those engines are designed to get you to the shops
or take the familiy on a road trip.
few family cars spend much time at 6000 rpm most live a life between 1000 and 4500.
that engine is sitting in front of a transmission with potentially 2 overdrive gears. 70 MPH 1500 rpm

if it wasn't worth it they wouldn't be investing in $15 of extra pressed steel and a tiny bit more mass for every engine produced, if it didn't make more power or get better economy.
both of which are a concern for the retailer and the purchaser these days

if you have been hit on the head by a bottle of oil....you know it has mass.
and if you have belly flopped into a pool you know how hard a liquid can be when you slap into it.
flown in a plane through clouds and thermals.... etc etc

scraper and tray makes sense to me

dave

If you take off the sump of many modern engines they have both scrapers and trays, or a combined complicated looking integrated thing that hugs the crank and appears to fill most of the space in there.

and those engines are designed to get you to the shops
or take the familiy on a road trip.
few family cars spend much time at 6000 rpm most live a life between 1000 and 4500.
that engine is sitting in front of a transmission with potentially 2 overdrive gears. 70 MPH 1500 rpm

if it wasn't worth it they wouldn't be investing in $15 of extra pressed steel and a tiny bit more mass for every engine produced, if it didn't make more power or get better economy.
both of which are a concern for the retailer and the purchaser these days

if you have been hit on the head by a bottle of oil....you know it has mass.
and if you have belly flopped into a pool you know how hard a liquid can be when you slap into it.
flown in a plane through clouds and thermals.... etc etc

scraper and tray makes sense to me

dave
Yep, well said. A well designed oil recovery system will always help with freeing up engine power. It's a good idea to pay attention to modern engine design.

-
Back