crankcase ventilation

-

Buschi340

Reaction score
how are you doing this? In the moment i have a hose on the rear right side ending "nowhere". Can I connect this hose to the manifold ( XV ) or should I install a catch bottle? What might be better?

I assume you've got a V8 because you mentioned 'right side'. Do you have a vacuum port on the carb base for it? Personally I think you should be running at least one breather besides the pcv hose.

I ended up running a catch can on mine, but that's because I was tired of oil spitting all over the intake. I have a Mod Man as opposed to the XV, but I think they have similar setups. In my case there's a small 1/4" NPT (or something like that) port on the front driver's side head and rear of the passenger side head. Normally you'd have a breather on one side and a vent hose on the other (fresh air in one side, vacuum on other to purge crankcase). I have one side capped (no room) and originally just had a breather on the other side, but it kept spitting oil on my intake. Ended up running a line from that port to a catch bottle and running a second line from the catch bottle to the air cleaner base. No fresh air at the moment, but it seems to work okay. Not really enough vacuum at the air cleaner base plate to cause suction in the crankcase. It's more like a vent for the can than anything else. Alternatively, you can just put a breather on the catch can.

For what it's worth, my catch can is just an aluminum water bottle with some fittings screwed into the side and sealed with a little silicone. I put some steel wool in it to help grab the oil mist out of the air. So far so good, haven't noticed any ill effects and didn't cost me anything side I already had the bottle and fittings.

yes, mine is very very similar. Already have a catch can collection for everything. old aluminum bottles. left front is the oil filler and closed. right back is open line into a catch can.
i did some day a connetion to the carb base. It worked well but when you turn off the engine the crank case wants air. it makes pfffffffffffff and sucks your carb empty. hahaha.

Guess i stick with what I have?

Ahh, that's interesting. I'd say probably just put a little breather filter on top of the catch can and remove the vacuum line or see about plumbing a vacuum line to either the air cleaner base plate or maybe even a manifold vacuum source. Typically for performance people don't like any oil vapor, so they'd opt for the breather with no vacuum source.

does it make sense to route two lines into the same catch can? From my logic it doen't matter if the engine breathes thru one or 2 holes...
port on the front driver's side head and rear of the passenger side head

I've seen people do it before on other builds. I think there is a Viper catch can that takes lines from both valve covers to make sure neither side has buildup, but it uses the valve covers compared to our engines that actually use something closer to a direct crankcase vent into the block (through the head). I don't think it would hurt anything either way.

as Long as it is not plugged it is fine i think.

if ur engine is really sealed up good, you can create vacuum by sealing the valve covers completely off. u may even have to get a check valve type pcv to to set the vacuum where u want it. did it on a 406 sbc I had. all the new cars are sealed off to the atmosphere. 20 century stuff.

-
Back