Crankshaft Pulley Bolt missing

-

DusterDeano

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Started up my Duster earlier to find a very bad knocking noise coming from the pulley area, I got underneath the car to see one of the bolts is missing and one of the others was super loose!!!! I've tightened them up and the knocking stopped however it looks like the pulley has moved around as the alignment isn't right?

I bought the car from California the other year and had it shipped over across the pond to the UK where me and my dad have restored the body work.

I don't have a build sheet unfortunately but from what I was told it's pretty much a stock 360 with a cam from an RV in it.

This is my first Mopar so I'm still learning the ropes, but I assume I will be able to loosen up the other bolts and spin the pulley back into place? Then put the missing bolt back in it's hole?

I did find a bolt that looks very similar to the others in the pulley on the floor but thought it came of my dad's Lincoln...turns out it has probably dropped off mine!

I have been chasing a squealing noise everytime I put foot to floor, could this be it?
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-29 at 6.17.23 PM.jpeg

I'd use a set of bolts that are all the same. Not a big deal, but, I like keeping the rotating balance even. As for your problem, it may be that there is a mismatch on the balancer and pulley bolt pattern. '71 and older systems used one offset bolt where the pulley would only mount on the balancer one way. In '72 they started using an even bolt pattern where you could bolt the pulley on 6 different ways. The solution if you have a mismatch? Just use a rat tail file and slot the one pulley hole that doesn't allow the bolt to install.

The squealing may be a loose or old fan belt{s). But the pulley should be removed anyway and inspected. The loose pulley may have wallowed out the bolt holes in it a bit and the pulley may not be flush/square against the pulley. Fjle or sand the mounting surface on a flat surface to get rid of any raised spots/burrs. The original bolts may have also been damaged and should be replaced.

Remove the pulley and make sure the holes have not elongated from being run loose. This could be your belt squeeling problem but here is a short list of other things that can cause it.
1. belt wore out
2. Pulley groove worn, letting the belt bottom out.
3. Painted pulley groove (takes a long time to wear off paint)
4. belt loose
5. wrong width belt
6. pulley alignment

BEFORE you remove the crank pulley, mark the hole that is offset, so you know which hole to slightly enlarge. This is a common issue as stated above when using mismatched crank pulleys and harmonic balancer
EZ fix, but lots of good advice above.
BE THOROUGH!
Good luck

Get a picture of the belt/pulley alignment to be sure all the pulleys are tracking straight.

Got to be better than owning one of these!!!

Viva.jpeg

Okay, so pulled one of the bolts out and turns out it's far shorter than the one I thought had dropped out (Pulley bolt on right). Upon looking at the picture again it doesn't look like a bolt had been in that hole for a while and the fresh marking left behind from the bolt I pulled out the pulley confirmed there hasn't been a bolt in that hole for a while so I've just tightened them all up properly this time since a few of them were quite loose to begin with!!

I did loosen them all and turned the pulley and it did shift a little but not enough to align the thread. Still have the squeal when revving but I think I'm going to be installing an electric fan at some point in the near future.

Thank you for the replies everyone, I appreciate it.

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-01 at 11.49.23 AM.jpeg

Be aware of the size of the washer on the bolt or you’ll end up pinching the snout of the crank over the pulley

6253D9C4-B5CD-40DD-9652-34B326E720AE.jpeg

6BA014D3-EBA2-4710-8222-D5682D904474.jpeg

Hi guys!

Started up my Duster earlier to find a very bad knocking noise coming from the pulley area, I got underneath the car to see one of the bolts is missing and one of the others was super loose!!!! I've tightened them up and the knocking stopped however it looks like the pulley has moved around as the alignment isn't right?

I bought the car from California the other year and had it shipped over across the pond to the UK where me and my dad have restored the body work.

I don't have a build sheet unfortunately but from what I was told it's pretty much a stock 360 with a cam from an RV in it.

This is my first Mopar so I'm still learning the ropes, but I assume I will be able to loosen up the other bolts and spin the pulley back into place? Then put the missing bolt back in it's hole?

I did find a bolt that looks very similar to the others in the pulley on the floor but thought it came of my dad's Lincoln...turns out it has probably dropped off mine!

I have been chasing a squealing noise everytime I put foot to floor, could this be it? View attachment 1715919957
A good chance the squealing when stepping on the throttle is a loose belt. Power steering possibly. Check belt condition for wear.
For this extreme caution is required. Idle the engine and touch the sides of the belts that run in the pulley grooves with a bar of hand soap.

A good chance the squealing when stepping on the throttle is a loose belt. Power steering possibly. Check belt condition for wear.
For this extreme caution is required. Idle the engine and touch the sides of the belts that run in the pulley grooves with a bar of hand soap.

Thanks for this, will try (with extreme caution!)

-
Back