crap luck or what?? sold a rare car

-

john27pa

74 360/904 Duster
Reaction score
I bought a 75 Duster silver edition with a boca raton interior. Yes-a 1975. They were a 76 duster option. The woman I sold/traded this car tells me the other day- better sit down, I have something to tell you.
Im thinking the car was wrecked or stolen. No- which is a good thing. Anyway- the car was in really good condition. Floor boards like new, body in really good condition. Only interior problems were that the floor on drivers side -the carpet was shot- and only in that spot. The driver side of the seat was wore through a little from sliding in and out. Part vinyl and part cloth. Still had the original head-dome light cardboard roof liner and it was perfect shape. Had the original trunk liner in good shape. The guy that inspected it for the road said he has seen cars that were only 2 years old in worse shape than this almost 40 year old car is. It is a s/6 auto car. I bought it and drove it home over 500 miles in the same day. Got about 17-18mpg. I traded it for a Durango because I needed a 4wd and already had a 74 duster. Needed a 4wd more than 2 dusters.
Anyway- she gave this guy the vin number and he checked it out. Come to find out that there were only 393 of these cars made in 1975 with the boca raton. Out of those- only 10 were made with the same package and engine etc as mine. Out of those ten-this was #4 of what they knew still existed. He said the car is worth about $25,000. The new owner has it registered through mopar now. I figured I gave her a good deal- but not that good!! lol.
Atleast I know it went to a fellow mopar lover and hoping she will either keep the car safe or sell it back to me for what she paid for it. Somehow don't see the latter happening haha.

Sounds like bs. So what production numbers are low. Doesnt make a diamond out of a zirconium. I,d be hard pressed to believe any 75 is worth 25 g,s

there was 20 g in the trunk under a special panel-- only the #4 car had this option-- really!!
you sold it, a clean used car-- it is like having your buddy write up an appraisal what # do you want?

Lawrence

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: I agree but if it makes you happy try reporting it as a write off on your income taxes as a loss and see if you get audited by the IRS.

bullshit. no way a stock 75 slant six duster is worth $25 K.

plus i'm not sure anyone can break a mopar dow that far.

The truest comment is that these kinds of stories always come up after you sold the car. This is just people being people, and not people I like. If you had sold it for 25g's the story would be it was worth 50g's etc. I had a neighbor once who tried to buy my car for years, on a weekly basis, for 5K, not worth that he said but I like you and I'll do you the favor. I ended up selling the car for almost 10K and his response was I'd of given you 20K. Yea right.

I was just at the Mecum auction, if you sold that thing for more than 6k you did good! 25k is 340 demon/duster money on a good day.

LOL
Kinda like a 70 hemi cuda, with plum paint and **** brown/green interior.
Rare yes.......but yuck........

It's REAL easy for someone to say a car is worth $x when they're not the one ponying up the money for it.

Rarity does NOT always equal monetary value.

I swear I told you in the other thread, had to have been you, that it was a rare car. Just not all that valuable. (Maybe that wasn't you, I don't see that post now... I sure do remember thinking that about a Silver Duster with Boca Raton interior though... but I think the BC interior was missing on that one.)

Wow! I parted out a rust free 75 Boca Raton Duster about a year ago...and it was a V-8 car! Stupid thing must have been worth $30k at least!!! Lol

Yup - there's rare, and there's rare and desireable. It might be rare, but that isn;t really desireable to most. In my past i've had a '70 RT 440 U code body (roller shell) I sold for $175, a restored '71 340 ragtop Cuda I sold for $7K, a 66 Formula S Barracuda stick I sold for $100, and a '68 Dart GTS 340 convertible, #s matching but missing some stuff I traded for a 6bbl set and some engine parts. It's all about the market and situation....lol.

Got any more you want to sell Moper? I got a couple hundred dollar bills burning a hole in my pocket. :) I've had a few I sure wish I still had too.

What I find really funny, is how people claim to know how many are "left" or "still exist".

How the F do you get that info?

...and how many people actually believe that when someone says it.

Unless you have accounting for every single serial/VIN number of every car sold, and the complete build info for every one of those cars...and the evidence of the current state of each and every one of those cars...

If we were talking about Dual Ghia's, it might be a different story, since only 16 were made, and I'm pretty sure it's a lot easier to find out what happened to all 16 of them.

I think i have a rare 72 duster. It is a slant 6 with an 8 3/4 and k/h disc brakes, and that 1/2 vinyl top that looks like snake skin. This car MUST BE PRICELESS. But really i've never seen a /6 with small bolt disc brakes. Any comments welcome.

But really i've never seen a /6 with small bolt disc brakes. Any comments welcome

It's actually pretty common. Have seen quite a few slant 6 a bodies that had the kh disc brakes and 8 3/4 rear. A friend even had a 4 door with that stuff plus sway bars. Had to be some kind of package.

Hmm 1975 slant sick silver duster with boca raton interior. Yep they were goin for the geriatric crowd back then. Just tells you that bodystyle was hittin the end of the line. Marketing to the little gray hairs moving to florida i guess. Oooh i want my retirement car anemic, and with the special boca raton interior package, i am moving to florida dontcha know. Make a hell of a sleeper, and with the body being solid and all a perfect candidate. Act the part too, drive around in a polyester leisure suit, while wearing a fedora, and maybe smoking a pipe. Put a 500 hp stroked 360 in it, with a blast of NOS for good measure and pick on the young kids with their new cars with it. Lol.

It was a POS 75 Duster. Let it go.

#1: What's a Boca Raton interior?

#2: Where'd they get build info for a '75? Because I know a ton of people would be interested in that, and Gnumbers Guro doesn't go that high because it's not a "real" muscle car.

-
Back