Crash Test Video: WOW!

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I found this over at MoParts and thought it was too interesting not to share.

http://blog.cardomain.com/2009/09/16/crash-test-1959-chevy-bel-air-vs-2009-chevy-malibu/

The next time your driving some "Heavy Metal" and think you can drive through an Accord because it's in your way, think again....

just goes to show you that weight wise they might be close, but the new engineering on the malibu shows up in the testing. i guess having the braceing in the right places makes the real difference. what they didn't show was at the end of the test the dummy in the belair getting out and whipping the malibu's dummys *** for hitting him in the first place!! lol:-D

Good share, FB, though not surprising. Couldn't see from the angles on the vid, but it looked like the Malibu road up the top of the frame rail and sheared the body. Full frame bodies are useless without the frame attached, wanting to crumple like tissue paper. And who truly got the ball rolling on mass production unibody cars with crumple zones? Thanks, Ma Mopar! And since everyone is trying to meet or beat the insurance crash testing these guys have been pushing the manufactures to make 'em safer... now if they could just make safer drivers...

thanks for sharing...that was interesting. You know there is a guy restoring a '59 Chevy somewhere crying right now because he can't find a good rust free front end and they just smashed one.

You know there is a guy restoring a '59 Chevy somewhere crying right now because he can't find a good rust free front end and they just smashed one.

I was thinking the same thing. Some poor bastard needs a left front fender and they just wadded one up! :angry7:

Good share, FB, though not surprising. Couldn't see from the angles on the vid, but it looked like the Malibu road up the top of the frame rail and sheared the body.

I mentioned too to a co-worker. They choose their fight wisely....

I saw that too, its a shame they wasted a restorable car. Wonder what the difference would be if they did a full size unibody Chrylser or even a ladder frame car instead of a X framed car.

Pretty eyeopening though. Watching the whole body of the Malibu ripple absorbing the impact.

Good share, FB, though not surprising. Couldn't see from the angles on the vid, but it looked like the Malibu road up the top of the frame rail and sheared the body. Full frame bodies are useless without the frame attached, wanting to crumple like tissue paper. And who truly got the ball rolling on mass production unibody cars with crumple zones? Thanks, Ma Mopar! And since everyone is trying to meet or beat the insurance crash testing these guys have been pushing the manufactures to make 'em safer... now if they could just make safer drivers...

I had to look close, In HD full screen you can see there is no engine or trans in the 59. From the side shot you can see the other side behind the wheel well. And as you say unbolting the frame would make it an empty tin box. And if you look at the bottom of the front fender in the last shot you can see a white nylon tie fly off that was holding the fender on.

Basically I don't trust Ins companies, So I'm a bit leary of the supposed result.

I had to look close, In HD full screen you can see there is no engine or trans in the 59. From the side shot you can see the other side behind the wheel well. And as you say unbolting the frame would make it an empty tin box. And if you look at the bottom of the front fender in the last shot you can see a white nylon tie fly off that was holding the fender on.

Basically I don't trust Ins companies, So I'm a bit leary of the supposed result.
Good eye beastie, I just reviewd it and could spot 2 zip ties in the shot.

Showed it to Pop. He wants the same test done with a '68 or '69 Imperial with the engine still in it.

I think I'll have the 59 impala please......that test is so rigged and I'll bet from the amount of rust flying all out of the 59 that it's been dr'd up to be weaker just for this video.....

Thanks for posting. Regardless of how much it was staged, I think the final statement would be true either way in that the driver of the BelAire would be fatal. Back then, the cars did not have seat belts, no collapsible steering wheel, metal non padded dash, etc. There is no question that today's cars are much safer. I am not sure stonger but definitely safer.

o well both junk lets crash all the chevys and what about some crash test dummies

Also we should remember that the new Malibu with 4 wheel disk brakes would stop on a dime compared to any late 50s sedan with most likely 4 wheel drums. The modern DOHC V6 in the Malibu would utterly destroy a comparable strait 6 from the Bel Airs era at the dragstrip, hell it would smoke a 283 or 348 or whatever engine might have been in that car for that year.

-
Back