Crash

-

mopar74

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My son had a pretty bad car wreck today(He's okay)went to the DR's and everything seems good just going to be sore for a few days. A guy ran a red light and t-boned our 1995 Grand Cherokee. We bought this car new and it served us well as my wife's daily driver up to 2009 when we got her a 2010 Challenger. The G.C became my sons car at that time. Luckly the other driver has insurance and ther adjuster is coming over Monday to asscess the damage, it will be totaled only the passenger side front door opens, all others the body damage is to great to open the doors. So which leads me to my question, has anyone ever put a 4.0 liter six into an A body? I have a 73 dart with a slant six in it and a cracked block, still drives good weeps a bit of coolent out the block, but I keep an eye on it so I still drive it on rainy days when I dont ride my motorcycle to work. Do you think the Jeep drive train is doable or am I wasting my time and effort? Drive train only has 150000 miles on it and still runs strong. Any info or comments would be great. I'll post up pictures when I down load them from my camera.
Thanks Kevin

Glad he's ok. Addin yall to our prayer list anyway.

You're kidding right?

So which leads me to my question, has anyone ever put a 4.0 liter six into an A body? I have a 73 dart with a slant six in it and a cracked block, still drives good weeps a bit of coolent out the block, but I keep an eye on it so I still drive it on rainy days when I dont ride my motorcycle to work. Do you think the Jeep drive train is doable or am I wasting my time and effort? Drive train only has 150000 miles on it and still runs strong. Any info or comments would be great. I'll post up pictures when I down load them from my camera.
Thanks Kevin

You're kidding right?

Why not? (a) Its mopar (b) its fuel injected, extremely cheap to rebuild, high after market support, and he already has one that runs well

As far as fitting it in....a lot of time building custom motor mounts, anything is possible.

Edit: Probably need to one off a trans mount too along with adjust drive shaft length, actually nearly everything will be one off.

WELL, his son is OK and he'll be fine. So worry over that, ... not.

The Jeep starter could be on the other side of the engine. Is this the case?

It's all "do-able" but how much time and effort do you wish to invest in getting this to work? That is the question...

Had to look it up, mine has the 318, looks like its on the passenger side. Honestly if your going to do the work for custom mounts you might as well use the ZJ trans too, basically be swapping A LOT over....

yes, the jeep starter is on the passenger side

Seriously, you could put a steam engine in it if ya wanted.
And if you just want something fun to try thats cool.
Other than that no way it would be worth doing that's all.

The Jeep motor is too tall to fit under the hood.
Your slant is at an angle, the jeep motor sits upright.

Fix the motor you have in it now.
Drain the coolant take a grinder and cut a "V" in the crack.
Dry all traces of coolant out, clean real good with brake cleaner.
JB weld it, let it sit for a couple of days to dry real good before adding coolant.

There are alot of L-134 willys motors running around with this same type of repair.

I see you have been there and done that too.
It is actually a great temporary fix right down to the brake cleaner to prep the surfaces.
But if he's asking about putting a jeep motor in it instead,,,,
All those changes,:violent1:

The Jeep motor is too tall to fit under the hood.
Your slant is at an angle, the jeep motor sits upright.

Fix the motor you have in it now.
Drain the coolant take a grinder and cut a "V" in the crack.
Dry all traces of coolant out, clean real good with brake cleaner.
JB weld it, let it sit for a couple of days to dry real good before adding coolant.

There are alot of L-134 willys motors running around with this same type of repair.

I see you have been there and done that too.
It is actually a great temporary fix right down to the brake cleaner to prep the surfaces.
But if he's asking about putting a jeep motor in it instead,,,,
All those changes,:violent1:

Yes that is why I brought up the point that the jeep motor is too tall to fit under the hood. The reason the slant got its name because is at an angle in the chassis.

I gave him an option to fix his motor that is in the car, the repair should last quite some time since he said it was just weeping at the moment.

i had a 94 xj cherokee that i had replaced the 4.0 twice in. honestly those engines can see 3-400 thousand miles and are very reliable and powerfull for what it is. i ,too, have a 73 duster which incidently i got from trading the jeep for.while the engine would sit higher than the hood, that would be one of the least of the problems.they have an array of solenoids,sensors and amass of engine wiring including the fuel injection and they all have to be in sync to function properly all included with the gj's computer which in itself would be a challenge. and then there is the oil pan and pickup which along with the engine mounts and the radiator mounting which would all have to be modified as i dont believe there are any aftermarket 4.0 litre car pans or oil pump pickups available.you would also have to find a 2 wheel drive 4.0 transmission (aw4) and fabricate a mount for it and the drive line itself . you would need a 32 pound pressure fuel pump ...and well you get the idea, a whole crapload of work. myself? i would much rather part out the truck and put the money into a 360 or 383/440 conversion for the duster ...my 2 cents..

Thanks for the replies. This is why I asked the question to get positive feedback.I know anything is do-able but at what cost. Was hoping maybe someone else had tried this swap. Slant six engine was JB welded befor by the previous owner.
Thanks Kevin

If you're gonna put a bigger six in there - why not go all the way? :burnout:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9--ISeNexM&feature=related"]1970 DMC Cummins Diesel Monte Carlo smokes tires - YouTube[/ame]

You should be able to find a slant 6 to put in your 73 pretty cheap. I've picked up some for a couple hundred dollars that run ok. Cheaper and easier than trying to put a 4.0 liter in. I would save the 4.0 for anothre car. Like another Jeep with a blown motor. Those 4.0 Liters are great engines and go forever.

Sue--sue--sue.

You might think he is OK and maybe he is but sometimes you feel worst a few days later on. Getting T-bone isn't good. Mentally he might be scared to drive through green lights for a while.

The other driver was a jerk for running a red light and crashing. I would sue his butt for the damages he caused.

Sue--sue--sue.

You might think he is OK and maybe he is but sometimes you feel worst a few days later on. Getting T-bone isn't good. Mentally he might be scared to drive through green lights for a while.

The other driver was a jerk for running a red light and crashing. I would sue his butt for the damages he caused.

Ya, that's the problem with this country. Because we have so many pieces of **** with that mentality. It was an accident, I'm sure you have never had one of some sort. I have an uncle that every time him or one of his family is in a little fender bender they sue. Why do you think insurance rates are so high for everyone? Why is medical so high for everyone? Because sue-sue-sue!!! After all, that's what USA stands for, U Sue Anybody! Makes me sick you jerk.

Now for the orig. poster. Glad that your boy is alright. As for the car, it's a cool idea, but I think the work would far out do the benefits. I would just throw in another slant or a small block. If you were close to Utah, I know where there is a slant that you could get for cheap.

Here is a picture of the damage done. He was hit by a full size dodge pickup late 90's or early 2000's. The truck had to be towed. My son was able to drive this home, it was less than a block from our house. I will be looking for another Grand Cherokee for my sons driver and to pull my trailer with.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 233
Butterball- that video is pretty funny. A diesel Monte, wierd yet appealing at the same time

well around here (cos and denver) those gj cherokees are dime a dozen on craigslist and really very cheap in good shape with blown engines (people like to run them out of oil) and can be had for 800 to 1500 for most.i dont know how it is in your area but they are on craigslist all the time here. point being if your insurance company isnt going to hook you up, pull the engine and trans and other goodies, scrap it out and buy yourself a nice one with a bad engine and swap it out (if youre that motivated)as most people just want them out of their yards. they really are easy to work on and ive swapped out those 4.0's in a day by myself . just a suggestion

-
Back