Crate motors, Are you &%$ kidding me??

-

hypermite

Reaction score
I was thumbing through my latest Jegs catalog yesterday & had to do a double take on the price of the Mopar Performance small block crate engines. Over ten thousand dollars for a 360 long block??? And that was the CHEAP one! What the hell are they smoking over at Chrysler?

They no longer use production block and heads, They now have Race blacks and R/T heads, The block alone is more then the crates use to cost.

They got to pay for sponsoring Jegs Drag car LOL--That's nuts --Steve

Makes them junkyard 5K hemis look pretty good, eh?

indy has a 408 stroker complete engine with dyno for 5,800.00

yep and it comes complete with indys wonderfull customerservice and perfect machinework and beutiful assemblyskills.

back on topic

sure its expensive but look at what you get that block can handle basicly anything you can throw at it. there is way to many threads with bitching about how the aftermarket doesnt care for moparguys and when there is something from the aftermarket this is the result people complaining about the price. if the price is low or as some would say the price is right the complaining starts about the part being inferrior and made in china. :wack:

take it for what it is some of the parts are rocksolid and way overkill some of them even made in america and the best of it all they are available, stop complaining about the pricing and start buying and show the aftermarket that there is a market worth filling and stuff may actualy change.

small quantitys cost a fortune to make big quantitys are way cheaper for the same part.

Everything is more expensive when it says mopar Thats why we gotta build are own. I was looking at crate motors also but they where crazy then on craigslist I found a brand new 5.7 hemi guy bought from the dealer it is a crate motor with the carb set up the ecm and harness carb to pan I got it for 4 grand still alot but it was better the 7200 they were asking

I still think you're better off finding your own solid block and sending it to a reputable shop instead of going crate. I've heard the workmanship in terms of assembly with the crates aren't always the greatest either.

yep and it comes complete with indys wonderfull customerservice and perfect machinework and beutiful assemblyskills.

back on topic

sure its expensive but look at what you get that block can handle basicly anything you can throw at it. there is way to many threads with bitching about how the aftermarket doesnt care for moparguys and when there is something from the aftermarket this is the result people complaining about the price. if the price is low or as some would say the price is right the complaining starts about the part being inferrior and made in china. :wack:

take it for what it is some of the parts are rocksolid and way overkill some of them even made in america and the best of it all they are available, stop complaining about the pricing and start buying and show the aftermarket that there is a market worth filling and stuff may actualy change.

small quantitys cost a fortune to make big quantitys are way cheaper for the same part.
Everybody wants top notch stuff but they only want to pay dollar store prices.....

I would love to buy one out of my mopar muscle magazine got everything from a 300 hp 318 for 4 grand to 550 hp 522 CI for $7300 with everything inbetween

take a Look at S&S Engines out of Spokane WA I ordered one for my Fathers truck it can with a great warrenty and they do any mods that you want I know a friend of mine who was racing one of thier Engines and dropped a valve they sent him a new set of heads no questions asked

back on topic

Soooo, I should spend 10K+ on a 380 hp Mopar crate engine so the guy in line behind me gets his for less $. Yeah ok. You can practically sneeze on a 318 & make over 300 hp. In addition, I've heard plenty of first hand horror stories of Mopar crate engines that failed within a few hundred miles because of poor castings, machine work, & assembly. etc. No thanks, I'll keep building my own.

Soooo, I should spend 10K+ on a 380 hp Mopar crate engine so the guy in line behind me gets his for less $. Yeah ok. You can practically sneeze on a 318 & make over 300 hp. In addition, I've heard plenty of first hand horror stories of Mopar crate engines that failed within a few hundred miles because of poor castings, machine work, & assembly. etc. No thanks, I'll keep building my own.

Crate engines are largely for those who tune with a check book.
The science and math has been done and the level of quality varies with the price.
I personally wouldn't waste an R-3 block ( which is essentially what the 340 replacement block is except for the 59 degree lifter angle ) on magnum heads , but it should be a very durable turn key option for some people.
I have a whole lot more in my motor , but I also have a whole lot more motor.
For the do it yourself guys , the 10 k is much better spent.
But I couldn't go as far as calling these a rip off.

I wonder if that 10 grand engine is internally balanced. For that kind of "jack," I would opt to build my own.

That's what I said. The 426 Hemi isn't that much more when you look at the big picture.

While I can't afford either, the 408 stroker engines are a way better deal if you don't have to have the Mopar brand name. I think you are paying a premium for that.

That's what I said. The 426 Hemi isn't that much more when you look at the big picture.

While I can't afford either, the 408 stroker engines are a way better deal if you don't have to have the Mopar brand name. I think you are paying a premium for that.

i suspect must of the premium paid is for one hell of a rocksolid block.

10K, Ill build you one...and Ill take you out to dinner when its over. 400HP crate 360 using an R block? Thats like putting (and paying) for a Kellogg crank in a stock 318.....

The block dont me spit if its not machined right.

We are the "Anti Crate" here. I think crate engines are kinda stupid. If your going to spend a chunk of cash, you should get what you want. Thats why 99% of what we build is custom to your needs. Plus we actually take pride in what we do, and stand behind our work 1000%.

But like mentioned Some people want the best of the best, but really dont like the price tag. But thats racing.

This is one reason I probably wont buy a "crate" engine. This 318 was built in 1992 for less than $2700, It has hundreds of street/strip passes on it & still runs like a raped ape.
[ame="http://youtu.be/e8auJWiuSqw"]302 Found[/ame]

-
Back