Cree LED bulb headlight conversion write-up *pics*

-

Dart_Vader

...Join the Dart side...
Reaction score
It all started about a month ago when my friend came by my shop with his 2003 Ford Exploder. He had purchased a new set of 6000K Cree LED bulb conversions for it and had me install them. I was pleasantly surprised to see how bright, white and focused they were.

So I bought a set of glass H4 conversions online for $25 shipped. They have the lines in them as well so they emulate the stock sealed beams and are very similar to the Hella lenses as well.

I made sure that I got some good quality 5000K H4 Cree LED bulbs with high and low beam capabilities. I also wanted to fan cool the bulbs as I heard they get quite hot. There are other kits that are just bulbs only with no ballasts which are cheaper but only put out about 600-800 lumens. If you opt for the ones with ballasts then you are getting into a much brighter 1800 lumens per bulb. Try to stay within the 5000-6000K color temperature for a nice, white light. My kit cost me $74 including shipping from China.

Pictured below is the kit itself and the installation which was really easy to do. I was worried that the bulb, fan and wires would be too deep to fit in the factory mounting location but was happy that it all fit without a problem. I squeezed the factory light socket out of its normal spot and in behind the grille. I temporarily mounted it with zap straps to the original headlight wiring harness. I will find a better place to mount it more permanently. I did a couple of left/right comparisons with the drivers side being OEM and the passenger side being the Cree and H4 conversion kit. The color and brightness of light is pretty dramatic but NOT a heat score like HIDs. I had to do a little re-aiming afterwards but otherwise it looked great.

I am very happy with my purchase! For just over $100 I have a much whiter, brighter light without the 'in your face' light that HID's bring. They will last 30,000 hours and don't have any warm up time either. Highly recommended!

Attachments

• 20140404_153941_resized.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1,133
  • 20140404_154046_resized.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 1,002
  • 20140404_154057_resized.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 963
  • 20140405_142021_resized.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 967
  • 20140405_142130_resized.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 958
  • 20140405_142237_resized.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 990
  • 20140405_142323_resized.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 961
  • 20140404_193313_resized.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 20140404_193318_resized.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 965
  • 20140404_193340_resized.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 949
Oh wow, those look 100 times better. Might have to add them to my list of future mods.

What did you do about wiring and relays?

Actually I did nothing.
Sylvania standard H6024 sealed beams are 40 watts each and have a 3.13 amperage draw. The Xtravision specs are even higher. This kit's power output is 25 watts each and 2.2 amps of draw per 'bulb'. These bad boys are very efficient, run nice and cool and don't dim during voltage fluctuations.

:blob:

Dang. Lower amp draw than stock? Thats brilliant. Thank you for sharing your project.

How do you like the quality of light pattern?.

From what source did you order your light housing and where did you get the light kit?

Thanks!

Actually I did nothing.
Sylvania standard H6024 sealed beams are 40 watts each and have a 3.13 amperage draw. The Xtravision specs are even higher. This kit's power output is 25 watts each and 2.2 amps of draw per 'bulb'. These bad boys are very efficient, run nice and cool and don't dim during voltage fluctuations.

:blob:

Dang. Lower amp draw than stock? Thats brilliant. Thank you for sharing your project.

How do you like the quality of light pattern?.

From what source did you order your light housing and where did you get the light kit?

Thanks!

Light pattern is quite nice although because of where the source of the 'bulb' is, I had to adjust slightly upward but other results may vary. MUCH more focused than HID's that's for sure. Oncoming traffic will thank me!

I bought both items on ebay.
The CREE kits were shipped insanely quickly from China. Ebay name is edayshop-on
I got the 'Autopal' headlight conversions from Ebay member rimiinc

Both great purchases IMO.
http://myworld.ebay.com/edayshop-on

nice conversion,,,first time ive read about a LED getting hot,,,a fan on the head lite bulbs,,now thats wild

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Bright-H4-9003-Hi-Low-Beam-CREE-LED-Headlight-Conversion-Kit-25W-1800LM-/181336633342?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a38816ffe&vxp=mtr"]Super Bright H4 9003 Hi Low Beam CREE LED Headlight Conversion Kit 25W 1800Lm | eBay[/ame]

When it comes to brakes and headlights, I prefer my cars to be legal.

Doesn't matter to me if it "looks better" or whether or not I'll actually get caught and/or fined, there's a reason the DOT has standards and requirements.

I prefer to see what is down the road and be seen from a further distance away. Mine and my family's safety trump what a cop has to say to me. The fine is worth avoiding what lurks in the dark!

I like everything except the fan. If a rugged ball bearing model, might be OK. If like all the PC CPU fans that have failed on me, not so good. I wonder if a failed fan kills the bulb or just disables it.

SlantSixDan is reading the posts, but he rarely comments today. If anything will bring a comment this should since his trade is automotive lighting and he is big on regulations.

Solid.

Isnt slant six dan living on your half of the continent? He may call in an air strike on your *** for a statement like that.. :)

Haha! He just might!
Took the Dart out for an official test tonight and I gotta say, these lights are amazing!
Nice and white, plenty bright and not annoying to oncoming drivers. Love It!

Edit: fan life is rated at 25,000 hours!

Do these meet U.S. DOT?

Translation: "Do they suck?"

US DOT light regulations are bullcrap. They are 40 years behind the rest of the world. Nothing wrong with a good set of Cibie E code headlamps. have you ever driven a car with a good set? They should be the standard. The light they produce on low beam concentrates the light in a wedge shape lighting up the road signs on the right hand side of the road so a blind man could see them.

Well, the fan may be IP 66 rated or similar. Hopefully.

Back when I designed thermoelectric cooling for outdoor electronics we had a line on IP66 rated high flow cooling fans in small forms like that.

I like everything except the fan. If a rugged ball bearing model, might be OK. If like all the PC CPU fans that have failed on me, not so good. I wonder if a failed fan kills the bulb or just disables it.

SlantSixDan is reading the posts, but he rarely comments today. If anything will bring a comment this should since his trade is automotive lighting and he is big on regulations.

Found another review of these (or at least similar) lights at http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=831061#post831061

His comment of "The halogens have some light above them while the LEDs do not. This actually has made it harder to see highway signage at any real distance at night since the headlights are putting no light that high." and "Also, there is significantly more light on the road right in front of the car now where it is not needed and less forward and to the left/right in 'deerland'. The combination of these two factors leads to it being quite difficult to see off to the sides on dark roads when you cannot use your highs because you aren't quite alone." means that I will be avoiding these.

Using "perception" to judge a lights effectiveness....I will pass.....On another not wonder how long these china lights will last in the completely sealed light bucket?

I prefer to see what is down the road and be seen from a further distance away. Mine and my family's safety trump what a cop has to say to me. The fine is worth avoiding what lurks in the dark!

Issue may not be the fine....big what if here....you get in a head wreck with these on....you may be on the hook for all the damages thanks to your "illegal" lights...just saying.....

fwiw The wiring upgrade crackedback sells improved my sealed beams to a point I can't really see the point in trying to upgrade them. They are similar if not brighter than my modern vehicles.

And I can get a cheap replacement at any auto parts store should one burn out.

GE also has LED headlights in 7" round they are called NightHawks

PRODUCT INFORMATION Base 3 Contact Lugs Product Code 69821 Description NH LED 7" ROUND UPC 043168698214 GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS Channels
Lamp type Sealed Beam - PAR Bulb PAR56 Base 3 Contact Lugs Product Technology LED Bulb Finish Clear Rated Life (NOM) 15000 hrs PHOTOMETRIC CHARACTERISTICS Initial Lumens (NOM) 15000 ELECTRICAL CHARACTERISTICS Voltage (NOM) 11.0 DIMENSIONS Maximum Overall Length (MOL) (NOM) 5.0000 in (127.0 mm) NOTES

• Low(Passing) Test Voltage: 12.8V/25.6V; High(Driving) Test Voltage: 12.8V/25.6V; Low(Passing) Current(A): 1.1-1.8/0.5-1.00; High(Driving) Current(A): 2.3-3.6/1.1-1.8; Operating Temperature Range: -40 to 50 Celcius; Operating Voltage: 11V-33V.

I bought both the lens kit and CREE kit on Ebay.
Just make sure the Lenses are glass like this:

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-7-Round-H6024-Glass-Housing-Head-Light-Conversion-Lamp-/130962775979?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7dfd5fab&vxp=mtr"]Pair 7 034 Round H6024 Glass Housing Head Light Conversion Lamp | eBay[/ame]

And here is an example of a CREE kit:

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Universal-Car-Truck-H4-1800LM-50W-Cree-LED-HeadLight-Head-lamp-H-L-Beam-W-/371030888877?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56632a11ad&vxp=mtr"]US Universal Car Truck H4 1800Lm 50W CREE LED Headlight Head Lamp H L Beam W | eBay[/ame]

Prices vary over time of course and as products become available.

-
Back