Critique my mismatched Teen Build.

-
Teedog i run the 268 solid in my 318 but i run the EQ magnums heads 1.6 rollers very nice cam idles @ 750 in gear with some lope very strong mid to top end power ,you will need to run min 3.55 rear end and a min 2500 stall, not the **** off the shelfs but one made for your combo,get your dizzy curved.everything got to match to make it work right.Listen to rusty he know his stuff.

How angry does the little Teen sound with that Solid Xs268s cam?

As a step up from the Xe262 I am now considering the following Comp Cams options.
(Bearing in mind it is not a strip car... but a Feisty Performance Street Cruiser that can scare off a few others when and if required)

Hydraulics :

Xe268 - I have seen people run this cam on the street even without gear and converter upgrades. (Although obviously not ideal without these, hehe)

275deh - Has anyone tried this cam in a 318? Seen a couple of videos that sounded pretty terrible but that doesn't mean much.

Solids :

270s - Fairly small really but guessing would still have some get up and go for the Street.

Xs268s or Xs274s - Would both produce plenty of power no doubt. Not sure I would go any bigger at this stage. Xs268s may run with my current single springs, touch and go, Xs274s definitely would require new springs etc... the 270s and both the Hydraulics listed above would not require a spring change I believe.

Would anyone recommend a Mopar Performance Cam for this build?

'I did have a quick look through the Crane Cams Catalogue for solids but all seem to be asking for much more Comp Ratio than I am running.'

Ok.. I guess I have some thinking to do now. Decisions to be made.
Loving how my initial 'Moderate Streeter' build has progressed to this point. Can't wait to Cruise this Baby again, been off the road for too long.

Thankyou all for your help and advice. Tonnes of Awesome Mopar Knowledge here.
Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Teedog

How angry does the little Teen sound with that Solid Xs268s cam?

As a step up from the Xe262 I am now considering the following Comp Cams options.
(Bearing in mind it is not a strip car... but a Feisty Performance Street Cruiser that can scare off a few others when and if required)

Hydraulics :

Xe268 - I have seen people run this cam on the street even without gear and converter upgrades. (Although obviously not ideal without these, hehe)

275deh - Has anyone tried this cam in a 318? Seen a couple of videos that sounded pretty terrible but that doesn't mean much.

Solids :

270s - Fairly small really but guessing would still have some get up and go for the Street.

Xs268s or Xs274s - Would both produce plenty of power no doubt. Not sure I would go any bigger at this stage. Xs268s may run with my current single springs, touch and go, Xs274s definitely would require new springs etc... the 270s and both the Hydraulics listed above would not require a spring change I believe.

Would anyone recommend a Mopar Performance Cam for this build?

'I did have a quick look through the Crane Cams Catalogue for solids but all seem to be asking for much more Comp Ratio than I am running.'

Ok.. I guess I have some thinking to do now. Decisions to be made.
Loving how my initial 'Moderate Streeter' build has progressed to this point. Can't wait to Cruise this Baby again, been off the road for too long.

Thankyou all for your help and advice. Tonnes of Awesome Mopar Knowledge here.
Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Teedog
Teedog it idles great has some lope with good street manners but when your on it it goes ! just to add my build is very close to yours just different heads and im running the scat i beams rods , Dizzy has been recurved 18 initial i think it can go more 34 total all in @ 3000rpm, no vac advance!!! mp shaft , std TRW oil pump but with the mp oil relief spring,mp chain tensioner, std sump but with the baffle , and valley baffle aswell. I Run the same Eddy 650avs carb.BUT ENGINE, CONVERTER & REAR GEARS need to work together !.

Teedog it idles great has some lope with good street manners but when your on it it goes ! just to add my build is very close to yours just different heads and im running the scat i beams rods , Dizzy has been recurved 18 initial i think it can go more 34 total all in @ 3000rpm, no vac advance!!! mp shaft , std TRW oil pump but with the mp oil relief spring,mp chain tensioner, std sump but with the baffle , and valley baffle aswell. I Run the same Eddy 650avs carb.BUT ENGINE, CONVERTER & REAR GEARS need to work together !.

Yep, I'm hearing ya..
Converter and Diff Gears will play a big part in where I end up with this.
Gonna need to find a converter guy I guess.

I will also be running the MP Chain Tensioner. Haven't looked at a Valley Baffle though, is it a custom made thing? and purely to control oil?
I have the MSD Pro-Billet #8534 Electric Choke Distributor and just the MSD Streetfire Box, should be ok I hope but obviously there will be lots of tuning/timing to sort once it's built and fired up.

Cheers,
Teedog.

I think it is a Milodon part (oil baffle) and it is designed to keep hot oil off the intake.
What's an electric choke distributor?
No I do not recommend a purple shaft.
The xe268 Hyd. cam will be very good to use.

Heya Guys.. and Gals of course.

Below are the specs of the 318 I am building.
No.. I'm not building a 360.

What sort of HP figure and performance do you think I might achieve with this perhaps somewhat mismatched set of parts I have gathered. This is my first ever build and yes I realize that I have already made some mistakes here but the parts are purchased/money is spent and I don't think the engine itself will be that 'terrible'. Hopefully.

1976 LA 318 Block bored 0.020" over to 321 cubic inches.
KB167 Hyper pistons. Block Zero decked.
Stock Cast crank linished/polished, Resized stock rods.
Entire rotating assembly balanced.
Edelbrock Performer RPM heads #60779, surface milled to 61cc chambers.
Yes.. these heads are too big!!
With a 0.038" head gasket I will only have SCR of 9.85 / DCR of 8.25
Yes.. I should have another point of Compression here!!
Hughes Engines Roller Rockers 1.50 ratio.
Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 'Xe262' Hydraulic Camshaft with matching lifters.
New Milodon Sump and Windage Tray.
Standard Volume Oil Pump.
Weiand Stealth Dual Plane Intake #8022.
Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS Carb - 650cfm #1806
Aussie Pacemaker Tri-Y design Headers, 1 5/8" primaries, 1 3/4" secondaries, 2 1/2 outlets.
2 1/2" Dual exhaust with X-pipe crossover.

This engine will be going into a 3000 pound vehicle with a 904 Auto.
I also have a Trans-go shift kit for the Auto, yet to be installed.

I am trying to achieve a Peppy Performing Street Car /Cruiser with at least 320 flywheel HP. The car is not a daily driver and will most likely only be a weekend Sunny day machine. This car would rarely get to a Drag Strip although future upgrades not ruled out.

Major issues that remain are that I believe I currently only have a stock stall converter and this will need to be bumped up... , and my Stock standard fragile 7 1/4 factory Borg Warner diff which at this point has really long legs also, 2.92 Ratio. Hehe, yes I know, I know. Yet to sort out what I'm going to do with the diff, at a minimum I will throw in some 3.23 gears.

I was also tossing up going to an 'off the shelf' solid cam but not sure what my options are with this... most solid flat tappets are huge for the performance level I'm chasing.
(and the rest of my current drivetrain)
Maybe a Solid Comp 270s or the larger xe268s but even that looks too big for this little Teen.

At this point until I upgrade the converter and diff I feel my current xe262 cam may be at my limit perhaps.

Thanks guys..
What are your thoughts guys?

Cheers,
Teedog

P.S Yes I know my heads are too big!

Yes I know.. Build it already!!!

Small update to the above.

The Weiand Stealth intake has been swapped out for an Eddy Air-Gap, mainly due to the massive difference in Port sizes and therefor much easier matching to the gasket and Eddy Heads. ( The tiny ports and casting irregularities left a lot to be desired, on my stealth anyhow although I know these generally are quite a decent manifold. )
This could possibly hurt the very low end of my torque curve a smidge but hopefully this will be negligable.

Also changing to ARP Mains and Head Studs instead of bolts. Have ARP bolts in the Rods.

Still undecided on Cam upgrade and still thinking small 'Streetcar' Solid

(1) Comp Magnum Solid 20-246-4 270s
Great in 340 & 360 with 9:1 to 9.5:1comp., 650 to 750 CFM carb. and 3.55 to 3.91 gear. Largest cam to use with stock converter.

LSA 110 degrees.
Duration at 0.050" Int 224 / Exh 224
Lift at Valve with 1.50 ratio rocker Int 0.468" / Exh 0.468"
Valve lash 0.022" Int & Exh.

Ideally I was thinking something between the 270s and the XS268S solid cam.

I know it has been suggested that I run a larger Cam with this combo but just interested on how you think the performance from this small solid would stand up compared to the XE262 or XE268 Hydraulic cams?

Anyone else have experience or suggestions in regards to 'small Solid Cams' in a 318?
There don't seem to be a lot 'small off the shelf stuff for Mopar' that i can see.
Does everyone just go custom ground?

Cheers,
Teedog.

Each cam step will gain about 10-20 hp and move the powerband up 200-300 rpm and lose and inch or two vacuum.

I ran a 300 duration 507 lift solid from Isky in my 340 before it went boom. (Split the block at the decks) I had to re adjust the valves after break in and that was it. 5 years it ran without a single adjustment.
Good quality valve train parts seems to be the key. Manton pushrods, Crower springs, locks and retainers, SS I stainless valves and Mopar Perf. solid lifters. Speed pro roller rockers. About the best valve train my engine had seen. 7800 rpm on a couple of occasions and I think it may have wanted to go higher as it bounced off the msd limiter a few times pulling the whole way up.

Moral of the story here is solids will work great on the street if you spend a little extra and get good valve train parts. Mine was a little noisier than the 484 mp hydaulic I had in it previously but not bad.

-
Back