Cross Ram Intake question

-

1cerberus4u

Reaction score
Hey

Did anyone make a Cross Ram intake that will fit on the 383-400Rb motor of are the just available for the 440's and 426's

If they did, anyone see one for sale?

Thanks!

first, the 383-400 are B motors not RB. the 413-426-440's are the RB motors. Edelbrodk made an intake called STR. they made a B version and RB. they had changable tops and one was a crossram.

Don:

Sorry for the mix-up and thanks for the info. Any idea where I can source an intake?

Thanks

I agree the STR will show up on ebay once in a while. RB only for the Mancini piece. I am mocking up one in my Dart. The RB cross ram is wider than the hemi so get ready for fun with the hood scoop.

349707894.jpg

I've got the hood scoop thing all set, as I have an original Mr. Fiberglass complete crossram/ hemi hood that I have been sitting on forever. I put it on my 67 fastback and now the damn hood scoop looks so big compared to my single 4bbl...............

Yea, this car is only for fun, weekend stuff and car shows so I don't have the need for ultimate go.

so am i correct in assuming that the STR-15 is the cross ram for the 383/400 big block?

Thanks

If you can find some old info about them the racers figured out certain locations for epoxied-in baffles that made them run a lot better.

Yes. the Edelbrock STR-15-8 is the dual 4 cross ram for the 383-400 B blocks. However the carbs are not offset like the cross ram pictured above, they are back to back (inline) and since they are limited to AFB style carbs this manifold is no screaming hell if you're looking for top performance. As an example, of single 4's, the MP M1 single plane, EB Victor single plane and EB Performer RPM dual plane have outperformed the STR 15 in both HP and torque.

Terry

OK, so to confirm there is no real Cross-Ram carb setup for the 383/400bb motors...............

I believe that you can run the RB cross ram on a B engine if you use the Mopar Stage 6 heads.

Mopar did make an early cross ram in long and short versions. I do think that the short ram was reproduced by the after market. They may be hard to find but they are out there. Good luck.

I believe az is correct about the heads and running an RB intake.

67, the "long" and "short" rams referred to the old, original ram intakes. They were physically the same size (two-piece, long runner design with the carburetors over and past the opposite head). The "long" and "short" referred to the length of the runner divider which tuned the intake to a specific RPM for peak effect. The reason they could be used in both "B" and "RB" applications was the two-piece deisgn. There were no aftermarket replacements.

OK NOW i WILL CHIME HEAR.First the str14 came in two versions early and late models. the early model came only as a crossram.The second version you could get 4 tops for it. 1single 4bb,2nd single 4bb 4500.3rd sixpack,and 4th crossram. When they made the secind version They also made across ram for the 383 and the 400.STR 15 AND THAY DID COME WITH CROSSRAM and all of the tops that the str 14 came with.One more thing the str14 also came with a spread bore top that was the rare one.I think it was hotrod that did a manifold test with a B engine and horsepower and torque the STR came in around 510 horses and 490 in torque. That was a stock version with no work done to them.

Yes edelbrock did make a crossram for 383-400s ( I have one ), If you find a str intake that is not a crossram you can make a crossram top for it.

-
Back