Crying in your beer

-

green1

Reaction score
Just reading about a fellow member that needs a 90 degree adaptor bolt ($60 new), I got to thinking- how much stuff have we tossed? And are sorry?

I'll start;

70 340 Swinger, t-boned while sitting in parking lot. fixable for $1100, was broke, needed the insurance $ to pay bills in 1973. Scrapped.
Pulled the engine and tranny, moved, left it under visqueen, which froze and leaked, water in it. Threw away good factory pistons and rods. Can't remember who I gave the Forte tranny to. Rocker shafts and rockers gone.

8 3/4 rear, gave away

79 Dodge Palomina truck, had 25000 miles, was worried. Found a low compression 73 340 laying around, rebuilt and put the old purple shaft cam in it (that thing was doggy of the line, sold it to a buddy, he loved it. Dog off the light, but would start coming on @ 3000 rpm, and kick 5.0 Mustangs all day. He offered to sell it back for the same $500, I didn't want it.

The 318 that came in my 70 Duster; buried in a back yard near Orlando.

Carbs; 4 Holleys, 2 afb, 2 carters, given away.

833 4 speed, shop couldn't fix 2nd gear shift, sold $75 ,Hurst supershifter, $75

Misc parts, thrown away. Shop too full.

And; 56 Chevy, 396, 425 hp, 4 speed. when I put the 11" wide tires on it- broke, not at the same time; rear lugs, rear shocks, cluster gear. Sold $200

55 Ford, 292, paid $150, sold $75, ran great. 51 Ford, rebuilt, paid $75, sold $75 (hard to find rear window before on-line happened).

SOB,,,

Life was hard when I was young, I just needed a daily driver, but went nuts over it. At 59 years old, gawd, I could almost retire, if I had managed to keep the stuff.

My first car, 72 demon. Totaled by a dominos pizza boy. Totally fixable ( I work at a body shop now). Pulled 340 n trans. left car, headers, all good body panels and a BBP disc front. 76 Duster ready for paint. dropped a valve. Pulled BBP front disc for the demon and 8 3/4 rear. Left the rest. It was My daily driver.

Jeez, We were stoopid. But 20 Years ago I bought the demon for $75. /6 bearly running. The duster (nice car) for $400

I still toss stuff. I offer items at a good price and if they dont sell I assume no one needs them and toss it. I have no space with a 2 car garage to keep everything. And no I am not here to give stuff away my time is too precious. Like the manual steering coupler I just sold after shipping I got 6 dollars out of it so I figure if it aint worth 6 buck to someone it goes in the scrap trailer to pay a little when its full and I take it in.

I sold two complete 409/425 horse 62 Bel Air Chevy engines complete for 900 bucks in 1981. I also sold a 1957 Corvette 283 factory dual quad set up for 150 bucks in 1976.
Years ago I was a Chevy guy but saw the Mopar light when I went to work at a speed shop that was owned by a guy who used to work for Mopar. Now....Chevy is mainstream
and old Mopars are on the fringe which is exactly where I want to be.......not part of the crowd but doing my own thing.

Not real special, but I would like to have the 63 Fairlane 500 2dr ht my stepfather junked out from under me when I was a teenager. When he said get it running or get it out of here I should have listened to him.

It isn't so much the stuff I got rid of although there are some regrets, more a case of the stuff I didn't buy for dirt cheap that I could have. Back in the mid 70's you could buy all sorts of early muscle for crazy cheap. Big block cars, even hemi cars for $2500 or less :angry7:

Trying to help a member out here who has since dissapeared(71dodge/Dylan), sold him a 383 with a 727 tranny for $350 and let him hold the steering box so he could build his Swinger and even said if you don't use the box I want it back. He sold the car to waggon and vanished.
I should have known better then to trust a 17 year old.

I got my 70 Duster new and put Hookers on junked exhaust manifolds. Took stock air cleaner off to replace with after market-junked it. My 70 Duster 340 was ralley red,white buckets/red carpet with 3.91 from factory. Had it three years sold it for$1600 and got a RR.

lol, I forgot about my 60 Ford galaxy, that I put a 390 into it, painted engine 352 color, and pissed people off, with that heavy tank.

dave thats the longest post i ever seen you do, lol dont lose hope you still got a great car in your gogorage i will call you later to bs take care bro

I sold two complete 409/425 horse 62 Bel Air Chevy engines complete for 900 bucks in 1981. I also sold a 1957 Corvette 283 factory dual quad set up for 150 bucks in 1976.
Years ago I was a Chevy guy but saw the Mopar light when I went to work at a speed shop that was owned by a guy who used to work for Mopar. Now....Chevy is mainstream
and old Mopars are on the fringe which is exactly where I want to be.......not part of the crowd but doing my own thing.
post more than once or twice somebody needs or wants it

Trying to help a member out here who has since dissapeared(71dodge/Dylan), sold him a 383 with a 727 tranny for $350 and let him hold the steering box so he could build his Swinger and even said if you don't use the box I want it back. He sold the car to waggon and vanished.
I should have known better then to trust a 17 year old.
that sucks but always remember someone is either screwing or getting screwed all the time, your amount of dignity is still intact and that makes you a better man in the end i know it dont help your wallet but trust in your selfworth

that sucks but always remember someone is either screwing or getting screwed all the time, your amount of dignity is still intact and that makes you a better man in the end i know it dont help your wallet but trust in your selfworth

Thanks iggy. My wife says the same thing.
Also, i'm sure not all 17 year olds are bad.

I drove b and e bodys in the 80s and now can only afford a bodys. The car I miss the most is the 64 sport fury I had, the cars I should have kept were the 70 cuda and the 69road runner. My oldest son asks me every so often, why did you get rid those cars. How was I suppose to know that these cars that I paid less than grand each for would be worth over 20,000 each? Oh well, I still enjoy my abodys.

Lets see. 1970 R.R. air grabber hood back in the 80's. I wanted to cut it up and bond the air grabber to my 68 fish hood (still do). I bought it for $45.00 sold for $90.00, doubled my money YEAH BABY!

1969 hurst SC Rambler, Bought it for $1200 back in 1991ish sold it for about $3000 a few years later (i didn't want to cut the rear quarters for bigger tires, I wanted to pump up the motor and could not fit enough tire under it).

1968 GTS Dart 340/Auto car. The inner doors and area between the rear seat and trunk had been cut out. It was a bracket type car. The Body was clean and complete. Back in the 80's we literally cut it up with a torch, making it easier to get to the wreaking yard. Back then these cars were a dime a dozen.

391 sure grip third members $25 to $50 dollars all day long, again 80's. Makes me ill now...

'70 Barracuda (not 'Cuda) 383 Magnum 4-speed pistol-grip, orange with black vinyl top/interior. All there, needed bodywork (I don't know if it was matching #'s), sold for around $2000-$2500 around '93. Duh. Also, I had a '72 Charger 318 car that had rough body but only 33k on it, so interior was beautiful as were many of the parts. I'd love to have that today to use as a parts car. Would make a very easy restoration for a clean body shell.

-
Back