Cuda_Al's Copper 1967 Barracuda Fastback

-
Wow, excellent job on an outstanding Barracuda. My folks bought the same color fastback in the Spring of 1967. They ordered it and lucky for me it came in, in time for me to take it to my Junior Prom. The interior matched the exterior color . . . it looks like your's is the same combination. Thanks for the memories. That Barracuda, along with the 'Cuda I bought new in '70 are the reason I have a '65 Barracuda in my collection today.

As soon as we fired up the engine for the first time we had leaks, first tried reposition the clamps but no luck on the upper radiator hose. I chose to not play with it too much and threw a worm drive clamp on. Once I knew that worked I took it off and put a piece of heat shrink tubing on it, then painted the rest black. Virtually invisible once installed.
2018-09-06_001.jpg

2018-09-06_005.jpg

2018-09-06_008.jpg

2018-09-06_011.jpg

When we were bleeding the brakes it was noticed that the ball joints didn't look good. Once I was comfortable with the car I took it to Troxell's to have Andy (Junior340) take care of the ball joints. Upon inspection he felt that only the right side needed to be replaced and my alignment was fine.
2018-09-07_009.jpg

2018-09-07_012.jpg

After leaving there and on the way home (40 miles) I noticed the valves were rattling more than I felt they should. I stopped my my friends place and had him look, he said we need to open it up and look at them. It took a little to see the issue, the top of one of the push rods broke off and was impacted on the rocker becoming the screw/ball.
2018-09-07_020.jpg

2018-09-07_022.jpg

It is believed that when we first fired it up and had a sticky lifter that cleared itself pretty quick, that this may have stressed the push rod. Also it was though that the hardening on the ball has been fatigued over the last 50 years and probably over 300,000 miles.

We chose to order all new screws and a push rod. While we waited for the parts to arrive I removed all the old screws and filed all the rockers for the lock nuts.

The parts came in and we got it all back together and everything seams to be working just fine now.

Alan

We took the car for a drive Saturday to go to Classic Industries (180 miles), about 120 miles into it we started hearing a noise that appeared to be coming from the left rear of the car. Initially we chose to ignore it as it seamed minor but withing the next few miles it got worse so we got off the freeway to check it out, tires checked out, nothing hanging under the car, everything in the trunk secure? So we move on, just as we roll we notice it again and noticed the speedometer bouncing with it. We pull over again and check it again, for some reason the housing on the speedometer cable looked to be melting near the exhaust pipe but it was not even close (against the floor as it should be). I disconnect the cable from the speedometer and we pull the cable clear of the transmission.

I think the cable was sticking causing it to torque and slap the exhaust creating the noise in the rear we were hearing. Either way we got gas and checked the mileage, 20 mpg all highway. Continued with no issues, got to Classic and purchased a battery and left. For the return trip we went up the coast and got gas again in Oxnard, 16 mpg lots of highway slow and go and many signals heading up the coast through Long Beach, Santa Monica etc.
For the first 2/3 the trip the temp didn't even move off the bottom 1/3 the temp gauge, after we stopped for lunch it stayed at 1/2+ and it was cooler out.

360 miles and the engine ran like a champ, pretty good shakedown. Now I need to deal with the speedometer cable.

Alan

Talk in another forum about the Mag Wheel Covers led me to dig mine out.
2020-01-26_001.jpg

2020-01-26_008.jpg

Looks just like the Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels Barracuda 201.jpg

Alan

Concratulations, that's a beautiful car and interesting resto thread. My 69 has the same color.

Cheers Wolfgang

A recently found picture of my car, this was January 1967 when the car was 1 month old. This is now the oldest picture of my car that I have.

Just noticed no rocker moldings, they were added a year later.

Solvang.jpg

Alan

Last edited:
-
Back