Custom Cam

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
i need a custom cam made to some specs i came up with that should render around 330hp on regular. any ideas?

Any manufacture these days will do a custom cam. Comp, Crane and Lunati just to name a few. Though I don't see a need for one to make that kind of power.

Contact them for a talk.

Any manufacture these days will do a custom cam. Comp, Crane and Lunati just to name a few. Though I don't see a need for one to make that kind of power.

Contact them for a talk.

I was thinkin the same thing but then I noticed that 805 posted it in the Slant 6 forum which kind of explains his thoughts of going with a custom grind. 805, give Greg Rollins a call at ComCams. He's a good guy to deal with.

If you have a good core give Oregon Cams a call, they will regrind yours to the new specs...its REAL cheap. Or as Pharmboy sugests Erson is the best for new.
Frank
PS I run ALL Erson cams and am real happy with them.

Well, after hearing the numbers he wanted, I know there's only so much a regrind on a stock cam can do, namely w/ lift. I've heard no complaints about Erson either.

hey thanks for all the info! i gota hold of erson and they have a cam that should work if i use 1.6 ratio rockers... so there in lies the next thing...
1.6 ratio rockers for a solid 225 cam??

anybody heard of them?

thx

Hmmm...1.6 ratio rockers for a slant...now that's a strange critter. Options seem to be few in this department...Pentastar Parts has this

http://www.pentastarparts.com.au/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=811

Or...yeah, that's about all I know of. There was a fair bit of variation in slant valve gear, though. Given a large enough collection of factory rocker arms, you could sort out a set of 1.6 ratio rockers for it.

Well, it was just a thought...I heard someone got close to a 1.55 to one that way(but it took him a few buckets of rockers). Also, I believe Clifford has a set of their own 1.6:1 rockers available, but I've heard the engineering level on them isn't quite up to par(just what I got from the guys on slantsix.org)

hey thanks for all the info! i gota hold of erson and they have a cam that should work if i use 1.6 ratio rockers... so there in lies the next thing...
1.6 ratio rockers for a solid 225 cam??

anybody heard of them?

thx

What cam? What specs?:read2:

should be around 230 dur @ .050 on both sides and i need around .530 Lift at the valve.

i can get either spec just not with the other

i found three cams that are close to the specs that i was looking for...

Crane
Chrysler 720901 HYD .540" lift and 248 dur @ .050 (350HP)

Chrysler 720771 HYD .440" Lift and 218 dur @ .050 (330hp)

Erson
E470302 Solid .465" lift and 230 dur @ .050 (328hp)

I like the ersons cuz its a daily drivin car but the crane cams give me fun power... but driveabilily?

Crane

Erson

I like the ersons cuz its a daily drivin car but the crane cams give me fun power... but driveabilily?

Those two Crane came are hydraulic cams. Take my advice, if you want a performance slant, do not use a hydraulic cam.

Crane

Erson

Where are you getting these horsepower ratings from? I'm assuming you'll be using nitrous? Otherwise, I'd say these are WILDLY optimistic...

i looked at my head flow numbers and they were off. with the erson cam it should give me 316hp w/o the bottle

Y'know, I hate to squash someone's ideas, but I gotta agree with Vynn3...these number seem pretty darn impossible for a N/A slant.

im lookin at about 220 intake flow and about 140 on the exhaust. but ill get exact numbers when im finished porting it.

yea those numbers are for "usually ported" head...

im going to raise the ports among other things...

the guy im working with is running around 12.60's with a stock 225, just cam, intake, headers, and his port job.

im going to school here at wyotech so i have the ability to flowthe head on the bench and dyno tune the car so as i get more factual numbers i will up date u on the build.

my numbers mite be "optimistic" but why not shoot a little high rite? considering i dynoed the car as it is rite now with the motor thats in it...

225 stock slant 300K plus miles, 904 tranny, and 7.25 with 2.94's
it put 85hp and 134 ft lbs to the ground... haha less than a honda i know:bootysha:

Call Deltacam.. Deltacam.com for info. These guys are amazing with cams! they will build you a custom cam. Ask for Jon. They will be able to answer all of your questions.

You can raise the ports all you want, you still are not going to get close to 300 motor horses with no camshaft. The numbers you are throwing around are still pretty mild.

Set your goal at 200hp on regular,that way you will be less disapointed when you cant even get that on regular,,,,you need lots of compression to get over 200 rear wheel hp,so regular will be out,Mark

-
Back