Custom coolant recovery tanks?

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I have a crappy old one that works, but I'd like to replace it with something cool as well as functional.
I was thinking one of the aluminum gallon mini beer kegs, but I think it might be too big.
If I could find a half gallon one, that would be great.
We have a tig machine so we can weld nipples and a cap on it.

I have seen hundreds of them here and online, so I have a pretty good idea what is out there and been done as custom or aftermarket.

Like I said, a half gallon keg would be perfect I think but I don't drink so not sure what's out there besides what I generally see in stores.
Been watching thrift stores, swap meets and yard sales as well but not seen what I want yet.

If I can't find exactly what I want I'll just build on out of 3 inch aluminum tube.

this is how i did mine:

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3333.jpg

the one at top is just a vent, maybe ill think of a better way to make it, for now it will stay

IMG_3332.jpg

IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

Nice, but where is your horn ?

There are quite a few nice generic ones on Ebay

I'll check but I just assumed they would be more than it would cost to make one.
Couldn't hurt to look.

Thanks

My horns are under the battery tray, so I'm assuming his are also.

Seems I'm doing a lot of assuming here lately. :D

Did this simple JAZ piece. It's got a drain valve on the bottom. Got it used at a swap meet.

I replaced my two horns with one plastic aftermarket horn (weight). I mounted it outside behind grille down low.

attachment.php

Did this simple JAZ piece. It's got a drain valve on the bottom. Got it used at a swap meet.

attachment.php

On that kind, don't you want the bottom fitting on the recovery tank connected to the radiator overflow, and the upper fitting draining to the ground? That way, the radiator will suck the coolant back in when it cools, and it won't overflow to the ground unless the whole bottle is full.

use this...put hose in through screw top to bottom and let it vent to atmosphere. Thats how my B2000 puke tank is. There is no pressure cap on top...think about it, if the stuff is spewing at >16psi its going to pressurize the puke tank too until that one blows at (same?) 16 psi...redundant. and if its got a 16 cap on it (tank) will it vent in to allow the coolant to suck back into radiator when it cools? vent to atmosphere and run hose to bottom so it will draw it back in when it cools. If your not an import drinker, go domestic...
9568211615_b0a9861f09_z.jpg

I saw someone with a metal Mopar brake fluid can being used as an overflow can.

I don't think that would be enough, but to each his own.
On a hot day mine might burp about a pint, then pull it back on cool down.
When I do an underhood check I squeeze the top hose to feel the coolant bump up against the cap vent, and if it needs to it may pull a little back to the radiator when I release the hose.
Then I glance at the original recovery tank to check for about a quart there.

One thing I need to be sure of is when I get a new one that it is designed correctly for what I want.
The tech term for what I want is a recovery tank, and not just an overflow catch so it needs to be vented and have the hose for it reach the bottom of the tank.

Be origianal and use this. It will expand and contract as needed.

Attachments

• Hot Water.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 838
I used a dead 2 1/2 lb fire extinguisher. gutted the nossle so that the hose plugs in the nossle and there is a tube inside to draw back and where the original valve was I removed the pin for a vent. works great. Mine is still red and has the pressure gauge still. I don't have a picture at this time but could take one if needed.

I like that setup, where did you get that from?

thats a canton racing 1 qt over flow bottle, available at summit racing. there is a couple different versions, so do a search on summit and pick which one you like best. I bent the lines up with -6 tubing and tube nuts. took me forever to get right..lol thank you for the compliments.

I used a dead 2 1/2 lb fire extinguisher. gutted the nossle so that the hose plugs in the nossle and there is a tube inside to draw back and where the original valve was I removed the pin for a vent. works great. Mine is still red and has the pressure gauge still. I don't have a picture at this time but could take one if needed.

That's one I hadn't thought of yet.
I even have one of those already, so thanks for that.

Be origianal and use this. It will expand and contract as needed.

Or put a hose on it and...

Oh nevermind. :D

-
Back