Cutting a custom set of Spark Plug wires.

-

KnuckleDuster

Reaction score
It's been ten years or more since I have done it, and I have only done it once. I'm not too proud to say I learned a couple things the hard way.
Thought it might be good to hear some tips and tricks for getting them pefect the first time around.
Wires are not cheap, and I bet a lot of people are a little nervous about doing it themselves.

Hoping maybe you guys might share your best methods and tools for those who haven't done it a bunch.

I have a MSD wire cutter, stripper & crimper. Pricey tool for the simple job it does but it is so worth it to me since I custom cut every set.

I start by plugging the wire into the distributor cap and then I run the wire on the route I want it. Mark it, remove it, cut, strip, crimp and install.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Its been a while for me also but I bought a large roll of spark plug wire. I put the unfinished end into the distributor cap, (put the end on if you wish) run it the way I thought it looked best, cut, placed on boot and on and on. Pretty easy. I had my wire holders to help hold wire in place after the first one was finished.

Any tips on splicing without the special tool, or drawbacks to using common crimpers?

How hard to do the plug end boots? Especially 90° , are they tough to get a good fit?

Like the tool that comes in the box?
LOL! Just use a vice.
Otherwise, like the above posts state, that's how it's done best IMO.

EDIT;
The above pictures of my wife's engine bay contain imperfect length wires. But that's just getting real nitty gritty on the matter. Just take your time. Drink your drink, play the tunes, chat away, take your time.

Get the right tool!

It makes all the difference in being right or wrong. Terminal ends matter as well, 90,180, or straight or whatever degree get a variety depending on you needs!

when I had headers that required 2 90* degree plug boots and 6 straight plug boots I just bought 2 medium priced custom wire sets, and it worked out great. next time I bought Hooker headers that use 8 straight plug boots

I used vaseline to lube the wires and a hair dryer to warm up the boots. Now i have a good looking set of wires that smell like a babys butt! I used the plastic crimper that came with the wire set, put them in a small vise to do the crimps. Took me a couple tries to get the hang of it, luckily they came with extra connectors.

The picture in post #9 is the clamp they send you in the box if you buy the MSD kit. It works very well if you read the instructions and take your time. All you need is a straight razor and a vice with it. I am not saying you need to buy MSD just that it comes with the kit.
Like said earlier, do your cap first and route wire where you want it to go mark it then cut and finish.
Good luck, it will be awesome when you are done.

I used vaseline to lube the wires and a hair dryer to warm up the boots. Now i have a good looking set of wires that smell like a babys butt! I used the plastic crimper that came with the wire set, put them in a small vise to do the crimps. Took me a couple tries to get the hang of it, luckily they came with extra connectors.
i like the hair dryer tip, thanks

any small block '70 and later has a stock air cleaner that is so big the straight plug wires at the distributor will hit it.For these i just buy a stock set, cut each at the correct length and put 90 degree terminals on it.
i think you're over thinking this.

I use a silicone spray when assembling, as it doesn't conduct electricity like grease or some of the other choices and makes it WAY easier to put the boots on.

those are ,....NICE..... ! never seen those.....
Works with awesome results. As mentioned above, a little silicon spray does help a whole lot. I normally don't have it so ether it's WD-40 or 336.

I use a silicone spray when assembling, as it doesn't conduct electricity like grease or some of the other choices and makes it WAY easier to put the boots on.
I tried EVERYTHING. ...the best way to get those damn boots on the wire - dish soap.

Jeff

-
Back