cutting pistons

-

Hemidere

Reaction score
I have a set of new TRW L-2322 12.5 to 1 pistons. Has anyone cut down a set, and if so how much did you safley remove. Or, how much needs to be removed to get close to 10:1 with "X" heads. Any help greatly appreciated...thanks

i have a set that is cut down...they were cut enough so that the dimple where the spark goes is just gone...

when you take them to a machine shop, they will know how far to cut them. they will first check them for thickness, and if they are even able to be cut. i had a set cut, cost me like 40.00 for all 8, and also re-weighed, so they were all exact.

.........I have cut the TRWs so that the dome is completely off, the piston is perfectly flat on top, except for the valve reliefs....these are the old school pistons..........kim,.........

I have a set of new TRW L-2322 12.5 to 1 pistons. Has anyone cut down a set, and if so how much did you safley remove. Or, how much needs to be removed to get close to 10:1 with "X" heads. Any help greatly appreciated...thanks

Does TRW give a Crown thickness.....this should be used as a guide as to how much you can remove.
With 12.5:1 CR....you would need a cam with about 310* duration and 0.600" lift, and run it on 100 RON or better fuel......would go like a scalded cat too.

Those pistons are pretty heavy compared to some of the new products available. Rods don't like extra weight.

Thanks guys, we have a machine shop where I work. Checking the thickness in the center of the valve relief give me a thickness of .265. What would be the minimum thickness I can mill the piston head to. Thanks again...

-
Back