cylinder head removal and tightening sequence?

-

kfrese

Reaction score
340 block-going to remove 302 heads and install j heads.
What is the sequence for removing the head bolts? Also the block is 30 over, so would I need a special order head gasket?

Thanks

Torquing should be done in increments starting at 45 ft lbs, then to 65ft lbs and finally 95ft lbs following the above sequence each time.

That's good stuff right there. I take mine off in the same manner. Breaking them loose in the same order.

While we are on the topic...how do you guys go about cleaning the top of the cylinders off?
I took my heads off and there is a printing of the old gaskets on there
(The block still has the pistons in it)

remove the dowels and run a straight edge across it a few times. clean off junk in cylinders with a shop vac.

it doesn't look like it is thick enough to be cut off with a razor, not like the timing cover gasket
it almost looks like the dye from the headgaskets seeped into the block

ill see what a scotchbrite does and if that doesn't clean it up ill run the razor, then the scotchbrite

thanks guys

spray surface with wd40.....wire brush on a drill...clean with brake cleaner..

Yeah, but, pile a bunch of rags or something in the holes first, and be real careful pulling them out. Dont reuse them on the other side. I used to make little posterboard circles and taped them in the bores.Is that anal?

since the motor is on the stand I figured I would just turn it upside down (still need to swap out pans and pickup anyway)

that way gravity will be on my side :)

I just use the shop vac to suck the junk out. Compressed air might just force pieces of crap down between the piston and the cylinder walls.

You also have to put the head back on at the same exact time (ie. 6:00 PM) as when you took it off, or it will leak....

-
Back