D4B and Carb Question

-

Coryduran

Reaction score
So I have two questions that I can definitely use some of the more experienced knowledge of the members on here for.

A) So I just bought a D4B intake manifold for the 65 273 that's powering my dart. I was wondering did this intake manifolds come out of the dealership on cars? Or were they always just an aftermarket intake that edelbrock discontinued?

B) I need a four barrel carb now for this intake manifold. I've been told by a few members to go between 500 - 600 cfm. I was wondering if there are any stock four barrel carbs I could keep my eye out for during my trip to pick n pull this weekend. I mean I'm on a budget so if I could find a junkyard carb that is a good performing four barrel, I can do a rebuild on it and save a lot of $$. So any recommendation on that front?

Thanks a lot as always fabo, always helpful.

The little AFB they put on them is a nice find, but it is always nice to go get a new EB and bolt it on, tune it with the kit, and be happy and have fun too..........

Most of the older AFB carbs will need throttle shafts bushed to run right, unless it has already been done.

The only Edelbrock intake that ever came stock on a SB MoPar was the 6pak.

A 500 cfm carb would be good, a 600 ok as well. Less carb for driving, bigger for high performance duties.

On the cheap, at the swaps, look for the AFB or AVS Carters. There mostly ethier a 600 AFB or 630 AVS or 750 cfm size. It is possible however unlikely you'll find a 500 AFB/AVS/Edelbrock, but you just might. Take note of the diameter of the venturi's and throttle plate sizes before you go.

DO! note that the early AFB's listed above DO NOT have a secondary air velocity valve (Flap) to smooth in the secondary side. The big blocks could use the smaller AFB carb without this and without any problem.

A old freind of mine had a 67 Imperial with a 440. The carb was a small 600 AFB. It had no secondary velocity valve. Due to the size of the engine, it would gobble down the air nad fuel without stumble or bog.

This may not be the case with the 273. A high performance engine with a high stall converter and gearing might be able to use that carb. A 4spd trans would be a big help.

I guess I should give more info mine is the lo power 273 with a three speed automatic.

IF the intake had a Mopar part number, it was sold over the counter as "Hustle stuff" or some other factory sanctioned sales outlet. Lots of LD-340's had a part number on them. 500 AFB would be close to correct size. AVS would be a close second for compatablilty as that carb adapts well to the lower CFM;s of a 273. 600 Holley, never liked they way they felt on the small block.

The Carter AFBs have a 4 inch dia. air horn so you'll need to use a stock air cleaner for it or adapt an aftermarket piece to fit it.

Mr.Gasket as adapter rings.
I'd use a small AVS since the air door is spring loaded and very adjustable.

-
Back