Daily Driver insurance on old car.

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
I called my insurance today to see about insuring a 66 Dart,said no high risk!!WTF I have house insured 04 f-150 4x4,06 Ford Fusion,2000 ski-doo 700.2008 Can-Am Outlander 650.73 DartSport is insured with another company.I,m 45 years old,no accidents,no tickets.What,s the problem?Can anybody direct me to an insurance company that will insure a 66 Dart 6 cyl.??I live in Ontario,Canada and drive 4 miles to work.

Written: Without Predjudice

While I don't have a specific insuance company for you, here's what I do have. Bear in mind that I have not been an insurance broker for a number of years and some things have changed.
Firstly, as insuance is mandatory, you cannot be turned down. Even a "high risk" is insurable; through a pool of insurance known (back then) as the facility association. I believe though that this still exists.
Secondly, and again I get back to the part of insurance being mandatory, there is a provincial department known as the Superindendent of Insurance. If you still find that you are not having any satisfaction (and I would keep track of who you called and what they said), I would contact said provincial department with your concerns. There should also be a provincial Ombudsman to hear about complaints.
Lastly, if you are insured through the Facility Association (the premiums used to be higher in this pool for all classes) and you don't feel you are a "high-risk", then go to the above provincial departments for help.
I rather suspect that in these trying economic times, the underwriting for all lines and classes have tightened considerably and evry risk is looked at very carefully.

I think in the Barret Jackson world, any older vehicle has a stigma that it is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. I would get it appraised. If it is a /6 4 door dart that you are going to use for commute, and worth a couple grand, and you have it validated with an appraisal, they would be more accomodating.

I own an insurance agency down in Georgia. Some of our companies will not insure a vehicle over 25 years old. It really doesn't matter if you want to insure it for physical damage, the companies just prohibit any vehicle on the policy over 25 years old. Not sure of how it works in Canada, but both Safeco and Great American have excellent policies for old cars.

I have a 73 Dart Sport 340 that I insure through Silver Wheels it,s $175 a year.I can,t drive car to work,just pleasure.I think I,ll give them a call.Thanks everybody for advise.

Don't know if you can get it up there, but I changed to Amica and am VERY pleased. They were cheaper than anyone else (by about $400/yr) when I had just one car insured. (no accidents, no tickets) That was an '01 V6 Mustang. Then when I got the '05 GT it went up $72/year.

Yeah. Only $72 difference. Now my truck is insured with them, and they have insurance for antiques as well. American Collectors Ins. is part of Amica. I currently spend less than $100/yr for the Duster. No mileage restriction, but can't use it as a daily.

Canada, and Mass. have some weird insurance laws.

I use Hagerty here in NY State for my Valiant.

I have driven the car to work a couple times,
when I am going directly to a car cruise from work,
but will not use the Valiant for a daily driver;
I bought a 2008 Chevy Aveo 5 for a beater car.

Good on gas, and cheap New car.
The insurance on it {for me}
is cheap, too, via State Farm.

Thanks for advise.I already have insurance on a few D/D and also cheap ins. on 73 DartSport.What I,m asking is Ins. on old car as a daily driver.I,ve seen members that drive their old cars daily and wanting to know who they are ins. with.Thanks

hey scott if you are looking for the 19A policy as well as daily insurance, ive been calling around the past couple days and its nonexistent...you either go with classic insurance, or you go with daily driver insurance and the car depreciates in value like any regular car would, thereby affecting compensation for accidents, theft, etc....I too would like to know what other members are using to insure their old daily driver cars

Petty, I use ING insurance, their VIP policy, but it's really restrictive such as no daily driving and it's cheap and covers everything as long as you've got an up to date appraisal. I know Dominion Insurance would insure the Demon but any damage would be at a depreciated cost and quite expensive.

Terry

Thanks Demon,I guess I,ll have to get the 66 appraised then I,m hoping they,ll insure as D/D.I,m just looking to sell my 06 Fusion(No more payments)and use the dart.I,m working 2 weeks on 2 weeks off in the coming year(FORD)Until things pickup I hope.My motto is plan ahead.Already have 73 D.Sport insured through SilverWheels$175 a year.

I'm in Ottawa and was insured through Silver Wheels with Lant and Co in TO for my '65 Barracuda, not a daily driver though. I won't use them anymore since my accident in 2007 in which they screwed me over.

I hear that ING offers classic car insurance and I see someone else mentioned them. I'll check out Pilot, haven't heard of them.

Hey all, I'm in the Army, a Sergeant First Class, 45 years old, no tickets in last 12+ years, and have a 1974 Dart Swinger with a 318/Auto. My full coverage through United Services Automobile Association is $159.15 every 6 months, ($26.52 a month). USAA had no problem insuring me and asked no question except how many miles I planned to drive a year. Since I'm getting Texas "Classic Car", tags, (which I told the insurance rep) I said 2,000 miles would be the most I would be driving the car for right now. I have other MOPARS as daily drivers.
USAA is used quite a bit with the military and I have liked useing them. Before that I had Geico and my rates never went down even though I never got a ticket so I dropped them like a bad habit. Check out USAA!

Sorry Petty, I've been told, by an insurance guy, that Canadian insurance companies are not allowed to sell policies to insure stuff in the U.S. and the same goes that U.S. companies can't insure stuff in Canada. I actually tried to insure my boat that's parked in the states through my company here and was told that I had to use a US insuror.

Terry

I lucked out on this one. "technically" my Duster is actually a Valiant on paper so my insurance company, to this day, thinks it is an old /6 grocery getter. I dont know it itd make any diff if they knew it was a pocket hot rod.

-LY

Hey all, I'm in the Army, a Sergeant First Class, 45 years old, no tickets in last 12+ years, and have a 1974 Dart Swinger with a 318/Auto. My full coverage through United Services Automobile Association is $159.15 every 6 months, ($26.52 a month). USAA had no problem insuring me and asked no question except how many miles I planned to drive a year. Since I'm getting Texas "Classic Car", tags, (which I told the insurance rep) I said 2,000 miles would be the most I would be driving the car for right now. I have other MOPARS as daily drivers.
USAA is used quite a bit with the military and I have liked useing them. Before that I had Geico and my rates never went down even though I never got a ticket so I dropped them like a bad habit. Check out USAA!

We have all of our insurance (Homeowners, Auto, & Umbrella policy) through USAA. When we bought my wife's 40,000 mile '77 Mustang a couple of years ago they didn't seem to offer anything for it other than the standard policy that pays book value on the car, or (IIRC) a "Collector Car" type policy but that wouldn't cover it if she drove it to work (about 1 1/2 miles each way) & that's the main reason we bought it, as a nice weather daily driver. She only puts on about 1000 miles a year. We keep it parked in the garage about half of the year & hope for the best. If the car gets wrecked, we'll probably be out of luck.

Rush hour traffic is the number one reason you cannot drive an antique insured vehical to work. Sucks, but it makes sense. I'm with Co-operators, and they gave me a great rate, but again, can't drive to work.

I'm in Ottawa and was insured through Silver Wheels with Lant and Co in TO for my '65 Barracuda, not a daily driver though. I won't use them anymore since my accident in 2007 in which they screwed me over.

Just curious about what the Ins. Co. did to you after your accident. I'm sure almost all of us have a horror story or two about dealing with an insurance company after an accident with an old car.

Rush hour traffic is the number one reason you cannot drive an antique insured vehical to work. Sucks, but it makes sense.

This makes sense, but I live in a town of less than 1700 people, so I don't think the term "Rush Hour" really applies. :-D

Canada, and Mass. have some weird insurance laws.

What do you consider weird in Mass? Up until the past year the state set insurance rates and a lot of insurance companies chose not to do business in Mass. That changed last year and all the internet insurance companies are now doing business in Mass, it hasn't seemed to have helped or hurt.

In Mass you are assigned risk based on years of driving experience and driving record. I have never heard anyone having an issue with compulsory insurance because of the age of the car. The insurance companies unless you go to a Haggerty or the like won't give you agreed value on the collision or comprehensive but if you go to them you can't use it as a daily driver either.

-
Back