Dakota Rear Revisted

-

cybrtygr32

1967 Ratfish Fastback
Reaction score
I found a 1988 Dakota rear that has the 10 bolt cover. It is out of the truck. The spring perches are the same as my 67 Fastback Cuda's (give or take a 1/8th or so). It is 62" outside hub to outside hub. This is what I need to get my 17 x 8 Bullits with 245 45 rubber under the rear almost perfect. My wheels are of the '05 variety and have a 6.29 back space why I need the wide rear). My question is this: Some one on the forum mentioned that some Dakotas had the 10 bolt rear but the rear was a 7 1/4 instead of 8 1/4. The visual clue was that the axle tubes narrowed down before entering the chunk area. The one i have found does just that! Don't want no more 7 1/4 junk. Any more advice before I put down a $100.00? I'm just crusin' with the 273, 4 barrel and 904. Not a G-Force Cuda! Thanks in advance guys

Dont bother. It wont last if it's a 71/4. Keep looking.

That's the question, is it a 7 1/4? Believe me, I know they won't last.

I guess you would need to post a picture. I have never heard of a Dakota having anything smaller than an 8.25 rearend, but I could be wrong.

Just got the VIN # off the old "88 Dakota that the rear in question came out of and called the local dodge place. The rear IS a 7 1/4. Guess I will use my 8" Granada rear with some billet adapters. I KNOW, I KNOW, "dapters no good", but the street rod crowd has been using them for years (which I am one of, 32 Ford) and my car will not be a rocket. This will allow me to put some steelies on at a later date if i don't want to use the 17 x 8 Bullits. Thanks guys.

WAR EAGLE!

The 4cyl Dakotas had the 7.25 and the v6 and later v8's had the 8.25.

Ah...didn't know that. FYI - the current Gen III Daks are 8.25s on the V6s and 9.25 on all V8s. Pretty overkill as far as I am concerned. I think they did it for the payload capacity, because the 4.7L isn't capable of killing an 8.25 rear.

...and how are things in the land of Clam Chower?

DART is building out the rest of the NW corridor, and SE-1 will be open to the state fair this fall.

-
Back