Damn good info

-
Don't know if you watched at all, but I just went through the "prep" and install of a 360 magnum in place of an LA 318 in the past few short videos. Straight forward and not much to it.
P.S. - I know, I don't have a beard so I'm not much fun to watch ! :poke:
After you mentioned it here, I checked your channel and for some reason youtube isn't putting your videos in the feeds and suggestions. Not the first time I've heard of that happening in youtube but I actually missed a few videos from you. Didn't see the latest pop up in the bell icon.

I saw up to the 64 rambler videos and it seems they forgot about you after that.

Another great option.
What the highest lift you would run without cutting the guides down...470 ish?
My magnum. (Stock heads)has the hughes
Springs and retainers, cam lift is .512, i have 20 thousandts clearance between the retainers and valve guides

What's it like on fantasy island? I can't find a pickup around here for less than $2k. If it's a D250, it's more like $8k
Pickups are everywhere around here, you can get them pretty cheap.
The last one I bought was a 93 Dakota, extened cab 5.2 auto $200. I gave it to my nephew for his first vehicle, he put a battery in it, some gas and it fired right up.
My cousin bought a wrecked Durango not long ago for $1000 it had the 5.7 hemi.

I need to make me a trip!
Everybody either has a pickup or SUV around here, they get wrecked, or rusty.
Engines are plentiful.
I bet I can call my local junkyard, they will have a running 5.9 mag pulled and put in the bed of my truck for under $500.

Double + that here.
That is sad to hear.
I guess it has to with the rural nature of our state, there is only one main interstate thru the state going North to South, everything else is a crooked cow path that the state paved over and called it a road.
Most vehicles here are low mileage, deer hits and single car accidents take most of them out.
The highest mileage vehicle in my fleet has about 80K on it, but it is a 1980 jeep....

To the OP P V, What is the main use you are wanting this engine for? You really never stated the intended use.

1. Is it just a Daily Driver that will put a smile on your face when your right ankle flexes a little?

2. Is it a street car Monday thru Friday and a Strip terror on the week ends?

3. A Trailer Queen that is towed to the track, run hard and towed back to the barn. This seems to be what most think you are wanting with 0.530" Lift cams and such.

So if just #1 above, a dropped in 5.9 Mag will do this so easy. Dead stock these 5.9's dyno out around 299 HP at a nice low RPM and peak out early at 4500 RPM, just what a DD needs. Yes replace the oil pump and springs. RockAuto has all this in stock. Spend the extra $6 each to replace the stock roller lifters as they get tired too. If you have time, drimmel out the 'Boogers' inside the ports on the heads, you will find lots of crap hanging in these.

Last edited:
Good point. As an example. The island has 3 main arteries for Hwy’s, 5 secondary. The school district just south of me has 50K students and 4 high schools. Mine has 2.
The JK yards are arrogant with a very present IDGAF if you purchase an engine from us attitude. There really is no savings going there anymore.

The turn over in vehicles is so great, they don’t care. The metal weight they recycle is huge.

And, to the OP, remember that these Magnmn have a 1.6:1 rocker ratio so any 1.5:1 cam listed at 0.***" lift will be a lot more.

The benefit of the roller cam is you can go with a much faster rate of lift cam so Advertised Duration numbers do not matter much, some but its the @ 0.050 numbers that matter.

Not to be a stick in the mud but the key word is “Could” and this is not always the case since the rate of lift can be quite aggressive without being a roller lift.

There is also a point of having the lift overly aggressive where it no longer shows a benefit. The more aggressive the rate of lift the quicker the valve springs wear out.

For a Hyd roller cam to outstrip a sold lifter, it has to be very aggressive! Even a solid roller would need to be. Even when the roller cam does have a higher and quicker rate of valve lift, it still looses out on the low lift side.

Beware of what your purchasing and why.

The last time I was at u pull it (July) they had 9 5.9, 2 hemis, and a ton of 4.7 and 318. $235 plus $50 core charge. I have bought many 5.9,s off of Craigslist and marketplace for $100-$200. Patience is the key, got a few for free that were locked up because the intake gasket sucked the pan dry and they didn't catch it. Not really a great time pulling one at junkyard but have got some that the trannies were out of already. If getting one from a junkyard try to find a wrecked one, usually they are probably good, they aren't there because the motor is shot.

Last edited:
Also, I have only bought 1 from a salvage yard, I needed it at the time, it was $550 with a warranty, told him I was gonna put different heads on it and really only needed a good shortblock, he sold me the same engine for $350 with no warranty, doesn't hurt to ask. Put eq heads on many of them, and threw the stock heads away, should of checked more of them out and kept some, but eq heads were cheap and good back then.

That is sad to hear.
I guess it has to with the rural nature of our state, there is only one main interstate thru the state going North to South, everything else is a crooked cow path that the state paved over and called it a road.
Most vehicles here are low mileage, deer hits and single car accidents take most of them out.
The highest mileage vehicle in my fleet has about 80K on it, but it is a 1980 jeep....

i would trade you those crooked paved over cow paths for our straight dirty gravel roads. for many year's rode motorcycles out to the parkway and up into wv which has the most beautiful country of any state in the usa. hope to live out there someday

First time saying anything here, just read a lot. Well been planning this for a while and start pulling the 360 mag out of my 2500 4x4 to replace the stock 273 in my 67 Barracuda. Have a lot of work before but just want it out and get rid of the truck. Had 80,000 on it when I bought it and only have 145,000 on it now. Should make it a little more fun even if it is only stock.

First time saying anything here, just read a lot. Well been planning this for a while and start pulling the 360 mag out of my 2500 4x4 to replace the stock 273 in my 67 Barracuda. Have a lot of work before but just want it out and get rid of the truck. Had 80,000 on it when I bought it and only have 145,000 on it now. Should make it a little more fun even if it is only stock.

Welcome.

With some work the Iron log 5.9 exhaust manifolds are said to fit A bodies. Much better flow than the 273 ones.

Assuming you have a A-904 trans, I recommend you do a Trans-Go kit. Use the 5.9 flex plate. Your 273 flex plat bolt holes will not match up and it wrong balance.
If 3 or 4 speed it may be different issues.

But please start a new thread for your build when you start.

i would trade you those crooked paved over cow paths for our straight dirty gravel roads. for many year's rode motorcycles out to the parkway and up into wv which has the most beautiful country of any state in the usa. hope to live out there someday
Yes, it is good bike country, rode mine all over the state, almost any road is a good fun bike road.

Welcome aboard and glad you posted.
I did the same with an 80K - 5.9 into my ‘79 Magnum and finished it with a 600 AFB on top of a rpm and super comp 1-3/4 headers. 727 & 3.55’s, It’s an excellent driver with a little pep.

#1. The magnum was about 93 I think.
The LA roller motors stated about 88

#2 Do you mean roller cam motors? If so about 88

#3 A 90 would be an LA roller motor.

#4 Want to do some trading on that 90 D250?
I had a 86' Chrysler 5th Ave, I believe had a roller cam (stock). I thought at the time it was used two years.

I had a 86' Chrysler 5th Ave, I believe had a roller cam (stock). I thought at the time it was used two years.
I had a 85 5th ave and it did not have a roller cam. But it was a big old comphy boat couch of a car. My kids liked riding in it, instead of my truck.

Odd story, I picked it up cheap $200 off an old lady, she pulled it in the garage and it would not start. She bought another car and wanted it gone.
I got it, and the plastic timing chain had jumped.
This old car was clean, pretty black, with red interior, the ac even worked.
One day my girlfriend, now wife came home from work and said, where is our black car?
I said I traded it in on a new motorcycle, want to see my new bike?
She said, ummm...... we really needed that black car, I am pregnant.
SOB we have a T-top Daytona, single cab Dakota, new motorcycle, and a 65 satellite sport drag car, 440, tunnel ram, cage etc.
Yes I bought a used mini-van after jr was born, to get by with. After driving her little sports car, the now wife says she cannot stand to drive the mini-bus any longer, after one year. I cannot win no matter how hard I try.

The last time I was at u pull it (July) the had 9 5.9, 2 hemis, and a ton of 4.7 and 318. $235 plus $50 core charge. I have bought many 5.9,s off of Craigslist and marketplace for $100-$200. Patience is the key, got a few for free that were locked up because the intake gasket sucked the pan dry and they didn't catch it. Not really a great time pulling one at junkyard but have got some that the trannies were out of already. If getting one from a junkyard try to find a wrecked one, usually they are probably good, they aren't there because the motor is shot.
X2 a local tow yard has a rolled ram, mag era that has been sitting there for a while, I might go over and inquire about it.
Cheap mag engine, I can part the rest out.
I bet I can buy it for the tow bill, around $100 and give the guy a 12 pack of beer.

-
Back