Damn Mopars anyway

-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
I've been driving myself crazy on what motor to use in my 69 Valiant build keeping in mind $$$$$$$$$$ and the possibilty of selling it in the near furture I like different with getting the best bang for the buck and an all around car.Here's what I've thought of

Stock 360 (rebuilt one in stock) -too basic and plain

360 with a Paxton - way cool but $$$$$$$$$ to make the system work together and would have to beef up the motor I have

Pretty stock built 440 - Nose heavy too many $$$$$ for straight line short time kick in the pants

5.7 hemi with carb - MSD kit through 2008 hard to find low mile 5.7 and can I trust one that old - lack of knowledge $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Modern hemi crate --- way to many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Indy cylinder head 360 http://www.indyheads.com/360magnum.html not looking to bad and I'm asking them if this will handle a Paxton that could be added later as my billfold recovers

This is a complete make over on the 69 Valiant not just doing a motor etc

I've been driving myself crazy on what motor to use in my 69 Valiant build keeping in mind $$$$$$$$$$ and the possibilty of selling it in the near furture I like different with getting the best bang for the buck and an all around car.Here's what I've thought of

Stock 360 (rebuilt one in stock) -too basic and plain

360 with a Paxton - way cool but $$$$$$$$$ to make the system work together and would have to beef up the motor I have

Pretty stock built 440 - Nose heavy too many $$$$$ for straight line short time kick in the pants

5.7 hemi with carb - MSD kit through 2008 hard to find low mile 5.7 and can I trust one that old - lack of knowledge $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Modern hemi crate --- way to many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Indy cylinder head 360 http://www.indyheads.com/360magnum.html not looking to bad and I'm asking them if this will handle a Paxton that could be added later as my billfold recovers

This is a complete make over on the 69 Valiant not just doing a motor etc

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but no matter what, you aren't gonna make any kinda profit when you sell your car, nor a full return of your money. Sorry.

1.........takes money to play. I've had to downgrade my goals, so to speak. Even this "little" 318 with a mild cam is fun to drive, 3.7 rear gear.

2..........lots of ways to build a 360...........there's a whole damn BUNCH of ground between your "rebuilding stock" and "adding a Paxton."

3...........You can get gut wrenching power out of a small block, no real need for a BB,

4............hemi...........maybe a good middle ground for you would be to stick a slightly built Magnum in the thing.

5..........You haven't mentioned what your HP goals are. What ARE they? An honest 350 HP with say, a 3.55 gear is pretty impressive compared to "most of the junk" on the road, and that is a MILD build in a 360 either LA or Magnum

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but no matter what, you aren't gonna make any kinda profit when you sell your car, nor a full return of your money. Sorry.

I've done several mopars and never looked to make money just enjoy doing it and driving them for what ever time frame I own it.All of them I've done in the past deserved a certian drivetrain but I don't know if it's an old man thing or been there done that I just can't seam to get a handle on this one but it has to be something different maybe it's time to move on to a different simple hobby like knitting or chevy's --The ideal build would be a Supercharged small block with the Alterktion or hemidenny front suspension and street lynx rear suspension and making the body as stiff as possible but ?????? maybe that's my problem I know what I would like but just can't bring myself to spend that kind of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If your looking for "different"...Why not try a Slant 6 buildup...Up the cam, slap on a 2bbl or 4bbl intake and some other odds and ends.

You will never recoup your time and money and you definitely wont profit on it. Build a classic Mopar to enjoy for yourself and save the flipping for the modern tinker toy peel and stick cars.

I have rebuilt a couple older cars with the intent to make a profit and I quickly realized that that was impossible. Now I have done several newer cars and profited nicely off of high school and college kids.

You will never recoup your time and money and you definitely wont profit on it. Build a classic Mopar to enjoy for yourself and save the flipping for the modern tinker toy peel and stick cars.

I have rebuilt a couple older cars with the intent to make a profit and I quickly realized that that was impossible. Now I have done several newer cars and profited nicely off of high school and college kids.

I know all that and yes you can profit off the newer cars because they can finance them.I have always broke close to even or even made a little money on old Mopars but that was a different time than now.

Well you still have not answered the basic question "what are you looking for" So far it sounds like you just want to let off steam.

I'm thinking of a single turbo, myself

Buy a chebbie. You're not a Mopar guy.

For the money, build yourself a stout 360 SB street motor to start. Loads of information hear to help choose the right combo for what you have in mind mild-wild.

Correct probably venting sometimes it helps to put things in writing and need to forget about this for awhile but I'll have to make up my mind soon. Not a Mopar guy well I bought my first one in 1971 and have probably done 12 or so since raising a family never owned a Ford or Chevy muscle car

I've been driving myself crazy on what motor to use in my 69 Valiant build keeping in mind $$$$$$$$$$ and the possibilty of selling it in the near furture............This is a complete make over on the 69 Valiant not just doing a motor etc

Exactly. What was the original question???

Uhhhh yeah.....that's where my head is at. What does the above mean? You mean that you almost refuse to be upside down on it??........if so, then you can throw out most of those combos you listed, for suuurrrre!! One setup you didn't list is a 408. I think that's one combo that wouldn't kill you on cost and would be a monster, if you didn't start buying aftermarket heads etc. Just go for the torque.

For the money, build yourself a stout 360 SB street motor to start. Loads of information hear to help choose the right combo for what you have in mind mild-wild.

You got it that's exactly what I'm thinking just showing the process and different ideas I had to get there start off somewhat mild then add the wild later

Uhhhh yeah.....that's where my head is at. What does the above mean? You mean that you almost refuse to be upside down on it??........if so, then you can throw out most of those combos you listed, for suuurrrre!! One setup you didn't list is a 408. I think that's one combo that wouldn't kill you on cost and would be a monster, if you didn't start buying aftermarket heads etc. Just go for the torque.

Sorry but again my problem is I've been there done that - 71 Duster with a 408 stroker

Think of the stout stock stroke N/A 360 you could build with the money it'd take to do a Paxton. You could go all out on the heads. Aftermarket heads at that.

Cummins 4Bt would be easier to do than the 6. The 6 cylinder Cummins would be an absolute pain to drive because of the weight. I believe the bare block is 300 pounds.
The Cummins would get good fuel economy.

At least a Cummins comes in a Mopar. Gm engine in a Mopar = fail sandwich.

Cummins 4Bt would be easier to do than the 6. The 6 cylinder Cummins would be an absolute pain to drive because of the weight. I believe the bare block is 300 pounds.
The Cummins would get good fuel economy.

At least a Cummins comes in a Mopar. Gm engine in a Mopar = fail sandwich.

Yes the 4bt would by far be the easiest to install. Plus in a car you could get upwards of 40mpg depending on how you have it built and tuned, plus you can convert it over to run on used oil which means that if you call major restaurants ahead of time you can have free fuel waiting on you on long road trips.

Guy around here has a 53 F100 w/a 4cyl cummins turbo.Sounds cool and runs good but not sure I'd want one in my car.Came out of a bread truck.

Put a LS chevy engine in it. It would be different an a lot cheaper than a new hemi. But you might be tar and feathered. Just kidding :violent1::violent1:

Sorry, but new Hemi swap into an old Mopar is boring IMO.....you want different? How about an SRT-4 engine in that a-body?? Now that's Kewl and different :glasses7:

-
Back