Damn Racoons

-

chryslerfat

Reaction score
I have trapped 4 in the last 4 days in my barn. They are tearing stuff up. There was a little one near the cage that ran off when I went in the barn so I have at least 1 more to get yet.

At least they are in your barn. My Dart had raccoons living in the trunk.

Need to get a Redbone Coonhound, at least the masked marvels will stay up in the tress....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Cf8laE3-E"]redbone coonhound - YouTube[/ame]

I just reupholstered a boat for a customer that they got into during storage. Tore up the seats and cover. Vandelous little creatures for sure.

I have a vacant house listing where the little rat climbed down the fireplace chimney, pooped everywhere, tried to eat cleaning chemicals, and then left the way he came.The little BAsxxxxxxD!

You gotta find where they are getting in and out and block that up. Had problems with them going into the attic of my garage until we found and plugged the holes.

You gotta find where they are getting in and out and block that up. Had problems with them going into the attic of my garage until we found and plugged the holes.
They are coming under the wall where the ground hogs dug in. That is another critter I need to get after the Racoons are done. lol

I hear raccoon eats purdy good, though I've never tried it.

Coons cost a customer over 17k when they tore up all the ductwork, lived and pooped in the furnace, chewed and shorted out the wiring, and pooped in and compressed all the attic insulation in a half million dollar lake house.

The old ones can be tough, have to par boil before cooking. Young ones can be BBQ'D or baked with minimal prep work. Be sure to remove all the glands from armpits etc..

Leave bait laced with ex-lax. It knocks the crap out of groundhogs and should have the same effect on raccoons! Groundhogs usually remember and shy away. Much nastier then just shooting them.

We used to keep them away from the campsite by shooting them with water pistols filled with vinegar. It was fun. I don't know if that's an option in your case. They don't like anything sour.

.410 and and a dog. No Mercy!

You need a good dog. Mine always chases them away, but sometimes isn't the 'brightest'. One time there were two of them in the front, I let him out and he ran over the first one biting him on the back of the neck, then kept going to try to catch the other one that had a head start. That one got away and then the other one did while he was trying to catch the first one.

Another time he finally figured out how they were ditching him and cornered it, and got a few good "lumps" on him. Two claw swipe marks on top of his head by his right ear, blood coming from the top of his snout, and a some blood on his front right "knee" that has finally almost got all the fur grown back after a year. It was his first time cornering one and did not know that they do know how to fight when they need to. Hopefully, he'll be more careful if he gets in that situation again. We have at least two packs of coyotes around here and the coons have to learn to survive with them around, they know how to fight around here.... Not to mention some of the coons are big, about 30 to 40 lbs!

good ole .22 long riffle does the trick too if ya got a scope!

I agree, no mercy on the little rodent bastages!

One word...Lysol..they hate the chemical smell and will steer away from it.Spray doorways or any entrance area they use.

We don't usually get coons so they were a cool novelty at first watching them play out the window but the novelty phase has progressed into the pain in the *** phase so was searching old posts for idea's and will try the Lysol 2nite. A family of five of these showed up earlier last week and I've already tried a little saucer of dog food covered with Cayenne Pepper.....Nope, then the same covered with some Habannaro Hot Sauce that's so hot I can't even use it.....Nope, them bastards evidently like hot stuff. Last night set out some socks covered with Fox Urine.....Nope.

Gonna be Blast City if the Lysol doesn't work.

Attachments

• 20150803_010522.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 20150803_010514.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 20150802_224305.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 180
We don't usually get coons so they were a cool novelty at first watching them play out the window but the novelty phase has progressed into the pain in the *** phase so was searching old posts for idea's and will try the Lysol 2nite. A family of five of these showed up earlier last week and I've already tried a little saucer of dog food covered with Cayenne Pepper.....Nope, then the same covered with some Habannaro Hot Sauce that's so hot I can't even use it.....Nope, them bastards evidently like hot stuff. Last night set out some socks covered with Fox Urine.....Nope.

Gonna be Blast City if the Lysol doesn't work.

Good luck after trapping and killing mine they have not returned. Not to say come winter they wont.

Diseases That Raccoons Can Spread to Humans

Roundworm

Raccoons can excrete high numbers of roundworm eggs through their feces. The eggs are light and can become airborne, potentially leading to infections resulting from inhalation. Incidental ingestion can also infect a host. Roundworm parasites can lead to serious health issues in humans as they affect the central nervous system, and can impair the body’s organs, including the brain. The most severe roundworm-related infections can result in vision loss or even comas.
Leptospirosis

The bacterium Leptospira causes the disease Leptospirosis, which infects humans and a host of other animals, including raccoons. They excrete this particular microorganism through their urine; as such, people can become infected by drinking water that has been contaminated with these bacteria. Mild cases of Leptospirosis can result in high fevers, body pain and both vomiting and diarrhea. More serious cases may lead to anemia, meningitis and liver failure.

There's more... http://www.livestrong.com/article/89830-diseases-raccoons-can-spread-humans/

-
Back