Damper compatibility

-

72_dart

Reaction score
does any one know what harmonic dampers will work on the 80's hydraulic lifter motor's? I've heard that you can use a 440 damper on a /6 but I dont remember seeing anything that said what years. Bascially im looking for a damper that slightly smaller in diameter and without grooves for pulleys (please dont ask why im just dreaming up something).

If you're not planning on using pulleys, I think the 440 balancer might work for you. Dunno if they differ year to year. The way I understand it, the acc pulleys don't line up with a BBM balancer. Not 100% certain. I started to look into it, but then a different 'quality' balancer was recommended to me. It turned out to be Chinese... :violent1:

Thanks Brandon.

What about if I forget about the 440. Can I use the same balancer for all the slants form let's say from 1970 up to 1986. I know that there was a forged crank and a cast crank I know that there are some differences. Aside from the timing marks could a damper be swapped from a forged crank to a cast crank and vice versa?

The damper from the cast crank cannot be used on the forged crank and vice versa. 1976 is the switchover year from forged to cast as I recall.

The damper from the cast crank cannot be used on the forged crank and vice versa. 1976 is the switchover year from forged to cast as I recall.

I am not convinced that is true. I have switched them without problems, except for the location of the timing mark. Both balancers are "neutral" balance, and are very close in total weight. It is not like on the V-8's, where the cast crank motors use an offset balance damper. I know the Mopar performance book says not to interchange, but that book has other info for the slant six, that does not apply. Only applies to the V-8's. Aftermarket balancers, do not differenciate, between the cast and forged cranks. Also Chrysler had several different part numbers for dampers in the same model year, depending what trans.

OK, thanks Charlie, I appreciate your speaking up. I was going by the old Performance book. It says explicitly that they are not interchangeable. And since there are other incompatible differences between cast and forged cranks, I would be hesitant to swap the dampers too.

It may be that the damping ring itself has a different weight between the 2, and each is made to dampen the internal crank vibrations in a certain RPM range with certain weight in the crank, and each is optimized for the 2 different cranks. (No, I am not referring to throw weights and such, which are all balanced out internally as you say....) Interesting that the different trans would actually change the damper....perhaps again it is the rotational weights at the ends of the crank.

Thanks guys. Where would one find specs on different dampers. weight, diameter, snout od, snout id, etc.etc. I read that some have even used internally ballanced sbc dampers on /6's.

I use a TCI rattler balancer on my slant, and it was for a 440. nO MODS.....but I do use a crank bolt. I had a flat slant pully for power steering modified to bolt to the 440 balancer to spin my 1 wire alt. My 2 cents....Andrew/Kidd

-
Back